kimchizzle
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French
Studying Spanish, Dutch, Russian
On the radar, Estonian, Ukrainian, Cantonese, Korean, Swedish
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... f=15&t=779

Online comprehensive grammar thread

Postby kimchizzle » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:47 am

I originally was going to ask for online comprehensive grammars only related to languages I'm studying but then I though why not post it here and open it up to all languages so that language learners of any language could benefit.

If anyone knows of good comprehensive grammars online for any language, feel free to post them here.

My meaning of comprehensive grammar is a grammar outline that is thorough and covers most areas of the languages' grammar, preferably with lots of examples as well and easy way to search so that someone can just learn subjunctive or just demonstrative pronouns if theu desire.

Most of the top google hits for many language grammars simply do not explain the grammar thorough enough (they forget to explain all the reasons for using a grammar concept) and very few examples, about.com is a big offender in both these areas.

I know there are great online grammars out there but I can't seem to find them. If anyone knows any good online grammars, go ahead and post them and maybe even give a short review of a few sentences if you want, for people like me who have trouble finding detailed grammars online.

Personally I am interested in some detailed grammars for French, Spanish and Dutch, but even if detailed grammars for the languages I study can't be found, I hope that some people will be able to post some online grammars of other languages that can help other people who are studying them.

-----
Also if you know of any detailed online English grammar, don't be shy to post it so that people who are still actively studying English can learn new thongs as well.
Last edited by kimchizzle on Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
3 x
Spanish Duolingo: 42 / 100 Dutch Duolingo: 4 / 100
Feel free to help correct any of my languages, except my native tongue. :shock:

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Re: Online comprehensive grammar thread

Postby galaxyrocker » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:52 am

Can't not mention Gramadach na Gaeilge. Not only is it available free online, it's more comprehensive than most print grammars. It's a fabulous resource for learning advanced Irish. There's also the Christian Brother's grammar, which has been published online with permission. It's written solely in Irish, however.
4 x

Soffía
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Icelandic (B2 reading, B1 listening), Hebrew (basic)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1139

Postby Soffía » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:34 pm

The best online Icelandic grammar that I've found is Litli málfræðingurinn, in Icelandic:

http://tungumalatorg.is/ifu/files/2011/08/Litli-málfræðingurinn-%C3%AD-heild1.pdf

I've heard of this reputedly amazing Icelandic grammar in Italian but I haven't been able to find a live link.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:24 pm

0 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:13 pm

There's only really one comprehensive grammar for Esperanto and it's called PMEG (Plena Manlibro de Esperanta Gramatiko).

You can read the whole book on the Internet here or download it as a pdf here.

For Slavic languages there are some very comprehensive grammars online here. On the one hand it's a useful resource because they have grammars for some languages where materials are quite sparse, like Macedonia. On the other hand, they are definitely not a grammar for beginners; I think they're aimed at a more academic audience. I have read the BCS one twice, but I'm still not sure how much of it I understood :lol:

EDIT: I forgot to say that the Esperanto grammar is written in Esperanto!
4 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:45 am

0 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Postby Fortheo » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:34 am

This is about French: I refer to this site from time to time when I need to look at a grammar point from another angle

https://www.laits.utexas.edu/tex/gr/index.html

It's very comprehensive, and you can also download it all in pdf format along with the accompanying mp3s. It's not something I'd enjoy going through step by step in a course like fashion, but it's definitely a very comprehensive overview of French grammar, and it's saved my ass more than once.
2 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:57 pm

Soffía wrote:I've heard of this reputedly amazing Icelandic grammar in Italian but I haven't been able to find a live link.

Link to that actually quite amazing Icelandic grammar in Italian:

http://www.giuristipernaso.it/KENNSLUB.pdf
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:17 pm

The link doesn't work for me :(
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:55 pm

Sorry about that. I copied the link from my favorites and checked that something came up, but the grammar isn't on the list any more - just some irrelevant courses.

Instead I have tried to check through Google (using the filter "Kennslub grammatica islandese") if the file just has moved, and then I found a link to a text book named Kennslub on a paid site (http://it.scribd.com/doc/131241591/KENNSLUB-pdf#scribd) - but it at least it has 14 days free. Another possibility is here: http://giuristipernaso.blogspot.dk/2012/01/gpn-educational-il-manuale-di-islandese.html - click on "Clicca qua" in red almost halfway down. But the easiest way seems to be through http://www.islanda.it/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/corsoislandeseKENNSLUB.pdf.

I didn't download it again, but could see enough to demonstrate that this actually is the grammar I have mentioned at HTLAL years ago. A text book has exercises and text excerpts and vocabulary (and nowadays also silly games) - but this one has tables, rules and everything else you expect from a grammar. It's a grammar in spite of the name!
2 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”