Make your Twitter feed multilingual

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Via Diva
Green Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (~C1), German (~B1)
Wanderlust/abandoned: Czech, Swedish, Italian, Modern Greek, Esperanto, French, Dutch, Finnish
Hit-list (?): Icelandic, Hungarian, Sanskrit
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=929

Make your Twitter feed multilingual

Postby Via Diva » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:05 pm

There were topics about it on the original HTLAL, but since searching there is difficult, I suggest sharing links to profiles here.
(maybe some trusted accounts can be added to wikia?)
Accounts I follow (in no particular order):
German Quatsch @GermanQuatsch
The German Professor @thegermanprof
German should be fun @LearnXDGerman
wie sagt man @wie_sagt_man
Shit Duolingo Says @shitduosays
DeutschAkademie @deutschakademie
GermanEveryday.com @GermanDailyWord
DW - Learn German @dw_learngerman
DW (Deutsch) @dw_deutsch

P.S. I am in dire need of Czech tweets, and anything would do, tbh :)
5 x

daegga
Blue Belt
Languages: Bavarian (spoken), German
-- ≥ C1 passive --
English (IELTS 8.5)
Scandinavian (a: N>D>S)
-- along the way --
French, Italian
-- can read with dict --
Old Norse
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17055

Re: Make your Twitter feed multilingual

Postby daegga » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:25 pm

Some of the Scandinavian users I follow:

@Framtida Nynorsk news for young people (language propaganda inside)
@Sprakradgivning answers questions about (proper) Swedish language usage
@sprakteigen Norwegian radio program about language (mainly Norwegian), twitters about current language usage examples and answers questions
2 x
jag nöjer mig med tystnad

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:44 pm

I've done this. Actually, I only use Irish on Twitter. There's few people I follow who use English (and I will likely add more), but most are Irish users. Given the fact I created my Twitter to practice Irish (and advertise programs I created to try and get a job there), I doubt it'll get too heavily English. Might add French when I start that soon.
0 x

sctroyenne
Orange Belt
Location: Montreal, QC (moved from the SF Bay Area living my dream!)
Languages: French (C2), Irish (beg-intermediate), Spanish (intermediate but mostly passive)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=767

Postby sctroyenne » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:00 pm

I remember that thread! From what I recall, here were my contributions:

Use the list feature! You can create dedicated streams for each language and check out other people's lists for suggestions of people to follow. Here are mine, which are not necessarily comprehensive:

French Twitter List
Spanish Twitter List
Irish Twitter List

I had meant to break down my French list into more categories which I should get around to one of these days. There's a lot of news and politics and humor accounts. The politics range from politicians from all parties to commentators from all over the spectrum (no reflection on my actual political beliefs).

Also take advantage of the trending list that you see on the left hand side. You can change the location to get trending hashtags in your city/country of choice to get more localized content (that hopefully hasn't already been spammed to death).

For French, I recommend Twog, a Twitter digest/curating site (along with their Twitter account, of course).

And finally, don't let it get you down if you feel like you don't understand much. Even in your L1 there will be references to things or people you may not get or former Twitter conversations or news events you're not yet privy to which will make understanding individual tweets difficult.
2 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:11 pm

sctroyenne wrote:Use the list feature!

Yes! Lists are awesome.

Here's a bunch of French Twitter accounts that amuse me. I also have a a big list of French RSS feeds that I post sometimes.
2 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:09 pm

3 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes

Postby galaxyrocker » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:14 pm

I don't know if this has been posted, but I've found Indigenous Tweets a great place to find Tweeters in a minority language. Actually, all of the people I originally followed for Irish were found through there. It's only for minority languages, but I think it's better for that.
3 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:26 am

1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Hrhenry
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish (C2), Italian (C2), Catalan, Galician, Portuguese, Norwegian

Studies: Turkish (B2), Polish, Ojibwe, Indonesian

Postby Hrhenry » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:00 am

galaxyrocker wrote:I don't know if this has been posted, but I've found Indigenous Tweets a great place to find Tweeters in a minority language. Actually, all of the people I originally followed for Irish were found through there. It's only for minority languages, but I think it's better for that.

I thought that would be a good source for Ojibwe tweets. Unfortunately, it's mostly Canadian political tweets in English.

I also get a fair amount of tweets in Catalan - also very political, but at least they're in the language, so I'm slightly less annoyed by them.

R.
==
0 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:16 am

Hrhenry wrote:
galaxyrocker wrote:I don't know if this has been posted, but I've found Indigenous Tweets a great place to find Tweeters in a minority language. Actually, all of the people I originally followed for Irish were found through there. It's only for minority languages, but I think it's better for that.

I thought that would be a good source for Ojibwe tweets. Unfortunately, it's mostly Canadian political tweets in English.

I also get a fair amount of tweets in Catalan - also very political, but at least they're in the language, so I'm slightly less annoyed by them.

R.
==

Yeah. I have to admit that a few of the people are very political, and it gets annoying at times. But generally I've been lucky and most just share Irish articles and comment on them and other things Irish. Though we do get political when it comes to language rights and language change and teaching.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”