Lingora: Learning Langugages Redefined

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
ed101langs
White Belt

Lingora: Learning Langugages Redefined

Postby ed101langs » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:00 am

Hi All,

I would just like to share some of my language learning experiences with you:

When I speak other languages (I am learning French, Portuguese, Spanish and beginning to learn Chinese) I am very keen to get feedback from native speakers, so I can get to know exactly how I can improve my accent, intonation, pronunciation and accent in these languages. The best way to do this is evidently to practice with them as much as possible and (if possible) go and live in the country where the language is spoken for as long as possible.

However, what I have found is that when I speak to native speakers in their language(s), they do not always correct my mistakes and give me useful, specific, written / recorded feedback about what I need to do to improve. I think this is because they do not want to interrupt me, when I am speaking about something, like what I like to do in my spare time. Similarly, when I speak to people who are learning English (my native language), I do not like to correct them much, as I feel this would discourage them from expressing themselves as much as possible.

This why I helped to create Lingora http://www.elingora.com/about-us.

Lingora lets language learners know precisely what native speakers think of their speaking ability. After a language learner uploads an audio on the website, native speakers can comment on exactly what they are doing well and precisely how you can improve. The feedback is specific to the language learners'

1. accent
2. pronunciation
3. intonation
4. accuracy.

Lingora is completely free of charge & always will be, so please do not worry about any subscription fees...EVER!
Please come to Lingora today and record a short introduction of yourself speaking a language you are learning. Talk about where you are from, what you like to do in your spare time and why you want to learn the language. Native speakers will then tell you exactly what you are doing great and what you need to do to improve.

Each week, there are language challenges to do. These are sent to your email address. As an example, a recent one asked language learners to read out a short article about the recent, severe heat wave in India. Then, learners were invited to speak about the weather in their home country. Once they had posted an audio, they received invaluable feedback from native speakers about how they could improve.

When you sign up to Lingora, you will see that many users (myself included ;) ) are already posting audios of themselves speaking language(s) they are learning. Please do not be shy and come and get registered on Lingora to do the same !
3 x

Ketutar
Orange Belt
Languages: Finnish (N), Swedish, English, French (~A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3147

Re: Lingora: Learning Langugages Redefined

Postby Ketutar » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:49 pm

That sounds wonderful! Thank you :-)
0 x
Memrise: 656 / 1657
5000 words: 2300 / 5000

ed101langs
White Belt

Postby ed101langs » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:05 am

Great to hear that you like the idea of Lingora :D

We are always looking for ways in which we can improve the application, so please let us know if you think of anything we can add to it.

Thanks again

Edmund
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:16 am

I've just signed up as an experiment. So my view so far is pretty straight forward. Great idea, but there doesn't seem to be sufficent numbers of people to make the thing work well for many languages. By my estimate using your user list there is about 120 people signed up, of which about 30 had actually posted messages for review. I looked at the ratings given to various speakers and you have one or two prolific users, however most people don't bother to write or give corrections. I have personally found this on many websites like HelloTalk. There isn't much incentive for people to give feedback, other than quid pro quo.

I've seen a problem with a lot of the places I've visited with a similar idea. Where people just do drive-by introductions and then don't participate. You might want to consider allowing people to upload their introductions or readings, but not allow them to SEE their ratings by native speakers until they've done X number of ratings for others. Also you might want people to be able to "Rate the Rating". I saw on your site some users who do a really excellent job giving feedback, recording the way is should be said, making corrections to grammer, etc. So I might give user ABC a rating of 9/10 for the corrections she gives me, and I might give user XYZ 1/10 for his rating which was just saying something like; "Yeah, your english is good."

Then user ABC can see 5 of the ratings their audio has been given, and user XYZ only gets to see one of them. Eventually over time you'll find some people who are the "go to" person that everyone wants to rate their audio because of the time and thoughtfulness they put into it.

You might also want to consider some "gamification" of such a rating system. So in the example I gave above, user ABC gets 90 exeriance points and 9 gold pieces for her avatar (because she got a 9/10 stars for her feedback) and user XYZ only gets 10 points and 1 gold piece. So ABC can now buy a sword to fight the "French Language Obfuscation Dragon" when they hit level 10, or they can fight the "Goblins of Pronunciation".

Anyway, great idea, you just need more participants and some way to make sure there are just as many "givers" as there are "takers"
5 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:23 pm

Thanks, it looks really great! I'm signing up!

rdearman wrote:You might want to consider allowing people to upload their introductions or readings, but not allow them to SEE their ratings by native speakers until they've done X number of ratings for others.

Please don't! I know it is logical but it basically makes the whole thing useless to natives of unpopular langauges. I already have real trouble finding exchanges (my native language is nearly worthless on the exchange market. Sure I can prove my high level in two other languages, but why would anyone choose me over the tons of natives available), I think LingQ (or something similar) has a system in which you get corrections for your corrections and therefore I am out of luck. Yes, some kind of active participation requirement is very reasonable. But please remember not all of us are lucky enough to have a native langauge many other people want to learn.
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:00 pm

Cavesa wrote: But please remember not all of us are lucky enough to have a native langauge many other people want to learn.

And some of us are cursed with a native language everyone wants to learn. :roll:
3 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

ed101langs
White Belt

Postby ed101langs » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:10 am

rdearman wrote:I've just signed up as an experiment. So my view so far is pretty straight forward. Great idea, but there doesn't seem to be sufficent numbers of people to make the thing work well for many languages. By my estimate using your user list there is about 120 people signed up, of which about 30 had actually posted messages for review. I looked at the ratings given to various speakers and you have one or two prolific users, however most people don't bother to write or give corrections. I have personally found this on many websites like HelloTalk. There isn't much incentive for people to give feedback, other than quid pro quo.

I've seen a problem with a lot of the places I've visited with a similar idea. Where people just do drive-by introductions and then don't participate. You might want to consider allowing people to upload their introductions or readings, but not allow them to SEE their ratings by native speakers until they've done X number of ratings for others. Also you might want people to be able to "Rate the Rating". I saw on your site some users who do a really excellent job giving feedback, recording the way is should be said, making corrections to grammer, etc. So I might give user ABC a rating of 9/10 for the corrections she gives me, and I might give user XYZ 1/10 for his rating which was just saying something like; "Yeah, your english is good."

Then user ABC can see 5 of the ratings their audio has been given, and user XYZ only gets to see one of them. Eventually over time you'll find some people who are the "go to" person that everyone wants to rate their audio because of the time and thoughtfulness they put into it.

You might also want to consider some "gamification" of such a rating system. So in the example I gave above, user ABC gets 90 exeriance points and 9 gold pieces for her avatar (because she got a 9/10 stars for her feedback) and user XYZ only gets 10 points and 1 gold piece. So ABC can now buy a sword to fight the "French Language Obfuscation Dragon" when they hit level 10, or they can fight the "Goblins of Pronunciation".

Anyway, great idea, you just need more participants and some way to make sure there are just as many "givers" as there are "takers"

Hello,

Thanks very much for you views! They are highly appreciated.

With regards to your observations

"there doesn't seem be sufficent numbers of people to make the thing work well for many languages."

Yes, as Lingora is very new at the moment, we really need many more languages and many more users. It is only around 2 months old, so I think this will improve over time.

That is true that the mahjority of people do not other to write or give corrections. And we need to find more of an incentive to do so.

I am not sure about your first idea - not allowing people to see the ratings by native speakers until they have done X number of ratings for others.
What if some users have very little time available to help out others? This would simply exclude them from the site. Users have often told me that they simply "did not have the time" to rate my audio, but were very grateful to me for rating their audio in a comprehensive way.

What I really like is the ability to "rate the rating". That is an excellent idea and would encourage users to be more thorough and detailed with their ratings.

Your Gamification ideas are FANTASTIC. This is just like Duolingo - users gaining points to then get access to further courses. So the most helpful users would get rewarded and be able to "buy" certain courses / access to customized lessons.

I have taken all of your comments on board and when I meet with the other creators later on, I will be looking at how I can implement them!
1 x

ed101langs
White Belt

Postby ed101langs » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:19 am

Cavesa wrote:Thanks, it looks really great! I'm signing up!

rdearman wrote:You might want to consider allowing people to upload their introductions or readings, but not allow them to SEE their ratings by native speakers until they've done X number of ratings for others.

Please don't! I know it is logical but it basically makes the whole thing useless to natives of unpopular langauges. I already have real trouble finding exchanges (my native language is nearly worthless on the exchange market. Sure I can prove my high level in two other languages, but why would anyone choose me over the tons of natives available), I think LingQ (or something similar) has a system in which you get corrections for your corrections and therefore I am out of luck. Yes, some kind of active participation requirement is very reasonable. But please remember not all of us are lucky enough to have a native langauge many other people want to learn.

Great to hear you are signing up Cavesa!

One of Lingora's key aims is to get people to learn less common languages / more endangered ones. The creators and people behind Lingora feel strongly that we need to be doing more to get people to focus on saving and maintaining less common languages.

What I was thinking is that we could give users bonus points if they learn other, less common languages. Like "rdearman" said, they could then use these points to buy things they want - like access to a video based pronunciation lesson in a language they are learning.

What do you make of this?

Thanks again for your feedback

Edmund
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:08 pm

ed101langs wrote:
Your Gamification ideas are FANTASTIC. This is just like Duolingo - users gaining points to then get access to further courses. So the most helpful users would get rewarded and be able to "buy" certain courses / access to customized lessons.

I have taken all of your comments on board and when I meet with the other creators later on, I will be looking at how I can implement them!

You might want to look at this thread on gamification
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2945

Not letting others see the rating might not work. But the only working writing critic system i have ever seen on the Internet ia at critters.org. you should read their rulea about getting you work criticed. Which is what your really doing on you website.
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:02 pm

Your new site looks great. I have a few suggestions.

1. Offer the potential new member a bit more info to attract his/her attention, right on the Home page. The first thing seems to be that you have to Sign Up before you get any detail. I don't like sites like that. Yes, you offer About Us, but many users will not take that to mean info about how the site works, etc., just something about you. And even on that page, the information is limited.

2. Say right up from that the site is new so the new user can understand the limited amount of languages and material so far. Give a list of the languages so far. Yes, there are languages in the drop-down menu, but most people would take that as the languages that the site interface is in, not the active languages that you can learn or offer on the site. Give the number of users so far. Users like openness and disappear if there is a scarcity of info.

3. Many people may not recognise the three little horizontal lines as additional menu items, discussion, etc. I would suggest you need full menus across the top of the pages. Make the pages, especially the Home page, as user friendly as possible, and give the impression that the site has a substantial amount of material, and is growing quickly.

4. Again, get the Home page right. You only have one chance to make a first impression.

Excellent so far. I hope to become a regular user.
3 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”