Here is an example of the materials.
0 x
Output Challenge 2018
Hours of Recorded Speech: 0 / 50
Words: 4732 / 50000

Speakeasy

Re: Odd materials at the university lessons

Postby Speakeasy » Fri May 26, 2017 12:01 pm

Most commentators seem to have assumed that the instructor -- most likely under the guise of academic freedom -- possesses the unfettered authority to do “whatever” he wishes in his sanctified classroom and that the students in his charge are bereft of the right to question his choices, to express their reserves on any basis that is relevant to their own values and beliefs, or to protest his decisions. That is, by virtue of their inferior position, they are obliged to submit to his will.

Most commentators seem unprepared to entertain the possibility that the instructor’s motivations are dubious and that this situation might be an instance of abuse of authority for the personal satisfaction of the instructor. Offering up sophisms concerning the apparently unlimited obligation of adults “to deal with challenges” opens the door to unrestricted abuse in every possible arena.

Adults have the right to refuse to participate in activities that are offensive to them. Should they genuinely believe that their rights and those of others have been compromised, they have the further right to question and even to denounce such activities.
0 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Fri May 26, 2017 12:26 pm

Ольга wrote:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bwf7iWNVHRjoenlJTEI1V1hzN1k/view

I didn't read the entire photocopy, but it's called Taboos&Issues. The introduction to the book explains its purpose.
0 x

Aozora
Orange Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17971

Postby Aozora » Fri May 26, 2017 2:24 pm

I took a look, and I can see why the OP would be uncomfortable. Some of it is useful and not as dark as the table of contents would imply, but there are instructions like "work in pairs" asking each other invasive and personal questions. I'd be very uncomfortable if I had to talk to a classmate about those issues. Some of the content strikes me as inappropriate as well.
2 x
Super Challenge Books: 14 / 100
Super Challenge Films: 63 / 100

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Fri May 26, 2017 2:40 pm

I'll give you that the picture on page 8 of the PDF (in the chapter about death) is in poor taste but otherwise I see nothing wrong with that chapter. Having skimmed through the first half of the book and read the introduction I, like aaleks, see its purpose. Almost of the subjects that are in that book one could easily find in one week's worth of reading a major English language newspaper. University isn't meant to keep you in a secure bubble that doesn't challenge your knowledge or opinions.

If you don't feel comfortable with the subject matter then you need to figure out a way to deal with that for yourself. That does not mean that the material is inappropriate to teach though. Another way to look at this is, does your university teach classes that cover these issues? If so is that ok? I can easily imagine that this book or material like it would be used in the academic stream of their intensive English language program.

edit: There are classes at my university that I won't (but logistically could) take because I either wouldn't be able to easily deal with the content on a regular basis or I have no desire to sit in a class were a number of my various identities are being picked apart in a really clunky and elementary way by students in the class. That doesn't mean that those classes shouldn't be taught, it just means that I should take care of myself and not take the class. A discussion I have had recently with a handful of people who know me pretty well and who all either work in academia or have their masters is, while I think that college needs to be a place for students to learn and discuss their views while learning, that can put the people who fit into the demographic groups that are being learning about in a really unfortunate position.
2 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Fri May 26, 2017 4:30 pm

Speakeasy wrote:Most commentators seem to have assumed that the instructor -- most likely under the guise of academic freedom -- possesses the unfettered authority to do “whatever” he wishes in his sanctified classroom and that the students in his charge are bereft of the right to question his choices, to express their reserves on any basis that is relevant to their own values and beliefs, or to protest his decisions. That is, by virtue of their inferior position, they are obliged to submit to his will.

Most commentators seem unprepared to entertain the possibility that the instructor’s motivations are dubious and that this situation might be an instance of abuse of authority for the personal satisfaction of the instructor. Offering up sophisms concerning the apparently unlimited obligation of adults “to deal with challenges” opens the door to unrestricted abuse in every possible arena..

I will respectfully say that I think you're painting your assumed opinions of a number of the people participating in this thread as more black and white than they probably are (or speaking for myself, as they are for me). You're also jumping to conclusions where they may be none both in terms of the professor and in terms of the people participating in this thread.

Note - I say this as someone actually has been discriminated against (as in federal laws were broken) by university administration. I have very likely done more advocating for myself in high education than most people here would imagine. Both on an individual class scale: "Can I write about X instead of Y because due to my own history Y isn't a subject that I feel comfortable writing about" and on an administrative level: "The disability resource center discriminated against me - I would prefer not to sue the university so let's get this sorted out." I didn't overtly mention suing but it would have been the next step, because putting up with federal laws being broken for years....they saw the writing on the wall.
3 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Postby Tomás » Fri May 26, 2017 7:04 pm

That's a textbook by one of the large textbook publishing conglomerates. There are scant few deans in the US who would ever even question an instructor's assigning a book like that. So in the US higher education system, at least, you would have no grounds for making a complaint.

I suggest that you embrace the text as the learning device it is. Being able to navigate sensitive topics of conversation is a crucial skill to acquire. If your instructor pairs you with another student to share personal stories, you have no obligation to reveal anything of yourself. Simply make up a fantastic invented story and have fun with it. Take an outrageous position in class discussions (I hate puppies and want them all tortured and made into sushi!). It's all about the language learning, so no one is likely to object.
4 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri May 26, 2017 8:03 pm

Class Assignment for Reading and Discussion

Text
Members of the AAA and BBB minorities are easily identifiable by the following characteristics: CCC, DDD, EEE. In refusing the grace of FFF, the AAA’s have chosen to set themselves apart from the majority. Through the divinely-inspired process of natural selection, members of the BBB group cannot be considered our equals, nor can they ever be. Neither group can be integrated into the majority, their presence amongst us should not, must not and cannot be tolerated. Expulsion of both groups is not just desirable, it is a matter of necessity, but expulsion is not enough. Wherever they settle, their populations will increase unabated and, when they reach sufficient numbers, they will return to our shores. You know what they want! Are we to remain idle before the developing threat? Only unity, collective effort and fearsome resolve will save your children and your children’s children. There is only one solution, XXX.

Assignment
Read the text above. Assign group names to AAA and BBB. Using your developing knowledge of the English language, as well as the terms specifically introduced in this course, assign characteristics to CCC, DDD, EEE. Feel at liberty to expand on the list. Consult a good dictionary and a thesaurus. Use elevated language with which the listener might not be familiar, but of which the mere inclusion will add apparent substance to your argument. Include vernacular expressions to achieve greater emphasis and to ensure a more complete comprehension on the part of the listener. Assigning multiple synonyms to a single characteristic avoids repetition but ensures a more powerful, cumulative effect. Be creative! Assign an identity to FFF. Define your own solution, XXX. Come to class prepared to expose and defend your argument. Remember, there are no taboos, this is how native English speakers use their language in their day-to-day activities!

EDITED: Darned typos!
0 x

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Postby Tomás » Fri May 26, 2017 10:03 pm

Speakeasy wrote:Class Assignment for Reading and Discussion

Text
Members of the AAA and BBB minorities are easily identifiable by the following characteristics: CCC, DDD, EEE. In refusing the grace of FFF, the AAA’s have chosen to set themselves apart from the majority. Through the divinely-inspired process of natural selection, members of the BBB group cannot be considered our equals, nor can they ever be. Neither group can be integrated into the majority, their presence amongst us should not, must not and cannot be tolerated. Expulsion of both groups is not just desirable, it is a matter of necessity, but expulsion is not enough. Wherever they settle, their populations will increase unabated and, when they reach sufficient numbers, they will return to our shores. You know what they want! Are we to remain idle before the developing threat? Only unity, collective effort and fearsome resolve will save your children and your children’s children. There is only one solution, XXX.

Assignment
Read the text above. Assign group names to AAA and BBB. Using your developing knowledge of the English language, as well as the terms specifically introduced in this course, assign characteristics to CCC, DDD, EEE. Feel at liberty to expand on the list. Consult a good dictionary and a thesaurus. Use elevated language with which the listener might not be familiar, but of which the mere inclusion will add apparent substance to your argument. Include vernacular expressions to achieve greater emphasis and to ensure a more complete comprehension on the part of the listener. Assigning multiple synonyms to a single characteristic avoids repetition but ensures a more powerful, cumulative effect. Be creative! Assign an identity to FFF. Define your own solution, XXX. Come to class prepared to expose and defend your argument. Remember, there are no taboos, this is how native English speakers use their language in their day-to-day activities!

I would wait until you have tenure before assigning that one.
0 x

Sizen
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French, Japanese, Spanish, Mandarin, Korean
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18968

Postby Sizen » Fri May 26, 2017 11:01 pm

Speakeasy wrote:Class Assignment for Reading and Discussion

Text

Assignment

While I could see your text appearing in this textbook, your assignment is a gross misrepresentation of the questions asked by the authors. From what I can see, students aren't required to develop and defend an opinion they don't hold. They are, however, often asked to turn the question on its head and consider the same discussion from the viewpoint of someone holding a different opinion, or, from the perspective of someone directly affected the implications of a given opinon. I don't see the harm in this.

For example, on page 22 (National stereotypes), the discussion section asks students to apply stereotypes (bad drivers, violent, rich, etc) to groups of people, and then follows up by asking the students to consider whether or not people would be offended by those stereotypes and whether or not they'd appreciate their culture being stereotyped in a samilar way.

This, to me, seems like a constructive and educational discussion for both language acquisition and critical thinking, whereas your example seems to suggest that the authors wish for the students to adopt the same viewpoint as them, regardless of their beliefs. If the latter were indeed what the authors were doing, I would have to bow my head and agree with you: deplorable stuff. As it stands, the textbook appears to be asking of its students to think about their beliefs.
1 x

Return to “Multilingual Room”