Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17055

Re: Nordic book club: Englar alheimsins

Postby daegga » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:03 am

What's so funny about Mussi?
0 x
jag nöjer mig med tystnad

hhiusa
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (5yrs) [Québécoise, Français, Suisse], Swedish (decent), Japanese (moderate), German (moderate), Norwegian (learning), Danish (beginner), Farsi (2 years)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5027

Postby hhiusa » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:00 pm

tiia wrote:Amazon never had any "real" Finnish book section, because there is no Finnish Amazon. They have very few books in the language (not counting books for learning the language or machine translations).
You can try the bookstores listed on the Finnish profile. Going to the very bottom of the page and scrolling up, is the fastest way to find the list of bookshops.

But as I wrote here:
Btw. Akateeminen kirjakauppa, Suomalainen and Adlibris stopped shipping outside Finland quite recently. (Adlibris has onlinestores for other nordic countries though.) I don't know whether they will start this service again. Another site for buying finnish books would be booky.fi. It's not yet in the list.

I checked a few months ago that you can find the book at antikvaari.fi. International shipping is usually possible, but of course not very cheap.

-----
I'm not yet sure whether I participate this time or not. Depending on your speed and my available time and motivation I might join later on. It's just that I don't get any reading done right now.

It allows you to buy from other countries that do not ship internationally.
Voit ostaa muista maista, jotka eivät lähetä kansainvälisesti. :?:
http://crossborder.fedex.com/us/shoppers/index.shtml
0 x

hhiusa
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (5yrs) [Québécoise, Français, Suisse], Swedish (decent), Japanese (moderate), German (moderate), Norwegian (learning), Danish (beginner), Farsi (2 years)

Postby hhiusa » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:01 pm

hhiusa wrote:
tiia wrote:Amazon never had any "real" Finnish book section, because there is no Finnish Amazon. They have very few books in the language (not counting books for learning the language or machine translations).
You can try the bookstores listed on the Finnish profile. Going to the very bottom of the page and scrolling up, is the fastest way to find the list of bookshops.

But as I wrote here:
Btw. Akateeminen kirjakauppa, Suomalainen and Adlibris stopped shipping outside Finland quite recently. (Adlibris has onlinestores for other nordic countries though.) I don't know whether they will start this service again. Another site for buying finnish books would be booky.fi. It's not yet in the list.

I checked a few months ago that you can find the book at antikvaari.fi. International shipping is usually possible, but of course not very cheap.

-----
I'm not yet sure whether I participate this time or not. Depending on your speed and my available time and motivation I might join later on. It's just that I don't get any reading done right now.

It allows you to buy from other countries that do not ship internationally. They are not too expensive.
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:58 pm

hhiusa wrote:It allows you to buy from other countries that do not ship internationally.

Well this is going to be off-topic and maybe it's better to move any further discussion to another thread?

I tried to find out how this service works without creating an account. So this is how I understood this service: you will use the adress auf a FedEx CrossBorder distribution center as your own, so the package is sent there and from the distribution center it's sent to your home. Did I get that point right?
When looking at their distribution centers I only find some in the US, UK, Peru and Belgium.
The one in Belgium is probably the one I am looking for, if I would like to ship something from Finland to Germany.
So as far as I understand it I would let the Finnish shop send the item to an address in Belgium to ship it to Germany. Right?
If a shop doesn't accept any address outside Finland, how would it send items to Belgium? And if a shop sends items to Belgium they ship to Germany as well. No need for extra circumstances.

(Despite I found a lot of horrible reviews of the service before they changed the name.)
0 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

hhiusa
Yellow Belt

Postby hhiusa » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:57 pm

tiia wrote:
hhiusa wrote:It allows you to buy from other countries that do not ship internationally.

Well this is going to be off-topic and maybe it's better to move any further discussion to another thread?

I tried to find out how this service works without creating an account. So this is how I understood this service: you will use the adress auf a FedEx CrossBorder distribution center as your own, so the package is sent there and from the distribution center it's sent to your home. Did I get that point right?
When looking at their distribution centers I only find some in the US, UK, Peru and Belgium.
The one in Belgium is probably the one I am looking for, if I would like to ship something from Finland to Germany.
So as far as I understand it I would let the Finnish shop send the item to an address in Belgium to ship it to Germany. Right?
If a shop doesn't accept any address outside Finland, how would it send items to Belgium? And if a shop sends items to Belgium they ship to Germany as well. No need for extra circumstances.

(Despite I found a lot of horrible reviews of the service before they changed the name.)

You can create an account for free. I tried to visit www.suomalainen.com, but they do not have an English translation. I am terrible at Finnish. I have created an account already. I have never found a company in Europe that did not ship everywhere in Europe. I recently used the service to buy something from Sweden and had it shipped to the US. What book are you looking for in Finnish?
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:34 pm

hhiusa wrote:You can create an account for free. I tried to visit http://www.suomalainen.com, but they do not have an English translation. I am terrible at Finnish. I have created an account already. I have never found a company in Europe that did not ship everywhere in Europe. I recently used the service to buy something from Sweden and had it shipped to the US. What book are you looking for in Finnish?

Well, they are very clear about this: "Toimitamme toistaiseksi kuluttajakaupasta vain Suomeen." (http://www.suomalainen.com/webapp/wcs/s ... mitusehdot)
And so it is with the rest of the stores I listed. They really do not ship outside Finland (anymore).

And now back to topic.
0 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

daegga
Blue Belt
Languages: Bavarian (spoken), German
-- ≥ C1 passive --
English (IELTS 8.5)
Scandinavian (a: N>D>S)
-- along the way --
French, Italian
-- can read with dict --
Old Norse
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17055

Postby daegga » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:33 pm

I intend to finnish the book this week in Danish, and next week in Icelandic Anyone else still reading?
0 x
jag nöjer mig med tystnad

Return to “Multilingual Room”