Nordic Book Club : Odinsbarn

Practice your target languages here.
geoffw
Orange Belt
Languages: Speak well = English (N), Deutsch
Speak poorly = יידיש (Yiddish), Français
"Speak," I guess = עברית (Hebrew), Русский (Russian), Español, Nederlands, Esperanto

Re: Nordic Book Club : Odinsbarn

Postby geoffw » Sun May 01, 2016 11:33 pm

Montmorency wrote:In the whole book - according to notepad+ which may count "words" strangely, there are - wait for it - 170,252 words!
That's 681 pages at 250 words per page, or 567 pages at 300 words per page (another number I've seen used).

That's in Norwegian, right? My Swedish version is paginated at 513 total pages. I've seen some crazy variation before. I have the Swedish version of the first Percy Jackson book, for example, which has pagination showing it to be 267 pages long. But apparently, the paperback version of the exact same book is over 440 pages long!
0 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Mon May 02, 2016 1:14 am

geoffw wrote:
Montmorency wrote:In the whole book - according to notepad+ which may count "words" strangely, there are - wait for it - 170,252 words!
That's 681 pages at 250 words per page, or 567 pages at 300 words per page (another number I've seen used).

That's in Norwegian, right? My Swedish version is paginated at 513 total pages. I've seen some crazy variation before. I have the Swedish version of the first Percy Jackson book, for example, which has pagination showing it to be 267 pages long. But apparently, the paperback version of the exact same book is over 440 pages long!

That's right; Norwegian.

Well, if I open up the EPUB in Fbreader on my Windows system, and open it at the last page of the last chapter, it shows page 559. But I don't know if that's a function of my screen size, and the font I'm using, etc, etc. If I load up the same EPUB in Calibre, it shows 973 "somethings"...are they pages? It doesn't quite say. Perhaps the concept of a page isn't quite meaningful for an e-book. That's why I thought of concentrating on words for a more accurate idea of the size...but then, as you saw, I got two different answers, using different parts of the same program! Perhaps if one imported it into MS Word and used its word count, one would get a different answer again.

According to Goodreads, the hardcover has 621 pages (Norwegian original). I read some of the reviews there (some in English). One in Norwegian that I translated with GT said that it was too long! :) They had read the first 200 pages an odd chapter here and there, and then got fed up and left it...then come back months later and finished it in 2 weeks. Most reviews give it 5 stars though.

Edit: Not sure if the following is useful (probably not), but if you have the ebook, and have converted it to txt in Calibre (or however), you can find out how often any given word occurs. Just open the txt file in notepad++, highlight the word in question, do CTRL F (for find), click "count", and the number of matches is shown at the bottom of the find box.
0 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).

Postby Montmorency » Wed May 04, 2016 12:09 am

[Refers to the Norwegian version]

Well, just for fun (and my own nefarious purposes :twisted: ), I split the text version of the ebook into its constituent chapters, and counted the words in each chapter, according to the Unix/Linux "wc" command. The results are below. [EDIT 04.05.16 I have tided this up a bit now - see further below]:
170415 total

That last number is the total number of words in the book. If we call it 170,000 for round numbers, at 250 words per page, that would be equivalent to 680 pages. At 300 words per page, that would be 566 pages.

Anyway, for my own purposes, the number of words per chapter is useful because the page count and words per page is a bit meaningless in an ebook; at least when I read the EPUB on my PC it depends on which ebook reader program I use, and it seems rather arbitrary anyway. I feel what is important is the number of words, but for SC recording purposes, if I read a chapter, I can divide the number of words by a chosen words-per-page to get an equivalent page count.

(From the research I've done the number of words per page in printed books can vary considerably, depending on the type of book and the format).

○○○

EDIT:

I've tidied it up a bit now:

Code: Select all

Kapittel-1 DedicationEtc        129 0    Kapittel40 Mannfalla           3100 10
Kapittel00 Prolog               938 3    Kapittel41 Den sovende dragen  1647 5
Kapittel01 Rime er tilbake      2163 7   Kapittel42 Legerjenta          2760 9
Kapittel02 Den røde vogna       1510 5   Kapittel43 Ritet               4174 13
Kapittel03 Ravnetreneren        3097 10  Kapittel44 Stemmen             1006 3
Kapittel04 Odinsbarn            3821 12  Kapittel45 Spion               2968 9
Kapittel05 Den tomme stolen     853 2    Kapittel46 Smerte              1913 6
Kapittel06 En gåte              2501 8   Kapittel47 Dråpen              976 3
Kapittel07 Slåsskampen          3363 11  Kapittel48 En narr             1067 3
Kapittel08 Ilume                1625 5   Kapittel49 Dukkemakeren        1318 4
Kapittel09 1Steinhviskeren      1501 5   Kapittel50 Gesas hage          1474 4
Kapittel10 1Insringin           1416 4   Kapittel51 Tyrinn              2602 8
Kapittel11 Lykkejegere          1747 5   Kapittel52 Kolkaggas oppdrag   529 1
Kapittel12 Et nederlag          2985 9   Kapittel53 Huset vanfarinn     1669 5
Kapittel13 Hemmelighetene       3619 12  Kapittel54 Overfalt            2606 8
Kapittel14 En tjeneste          2707 9   Kapittel55 Slabbas tabbe       1516 5
Kapittel15 Løgnen               1368 4   Kapittel56 Skyggen             896 2
Kapittel16 Jordblind            1918 6   Kapittel57 Halen               2214 7
Kapittel17 Betroelsen           1748 5   Kapittel58 Skygger i Mannfalla 1005 3
Kapittel18 Forrådt              1300 4   Kapittel59 Ravnehuset          1787 5
Kapittel19 Evna                 1560 5   Kapittel60 På en knivsegg      4080 13
Kapittel20 En plan 9            41 3     Kapittel61 Ramojas historie    2533 8
Kapittel21 Blodgress            1230 4   Kapittel62 Seeren              7885 26
Kapittel22 Til ravnene          1363 4   Kapittel63 Urds erobring       947 3
Kapittel23 Brenning             1650 5   Kapittel64 Utenfor frelse      1943 6
Kapittel24 Tegningen            1124 3   Kapittel65 Blod                5104 17
Kapittel25 Smykket              624 2    Kapittel66 Høvdingen og den blinde     4396 14
Kapittel26 En seier             3780 12  Kapittel67 To ledere på Ravnhov        6195 20
Kapittel27 Ild                  998 3    Kapittel68 Veiene deles        2147 7
Kapittel28 Eisvaldr             1647 5   Kapittel69 Bromfjell           1217 4
Kapittel29 Villgutten           1691 5   Kapittel70 De blinde           3517 11
Kapittel30 Ravnungen            3516 11  Kapittel71 Dragen våkner       2458 8
Kapittel31 Tein                 2576 8   Kapittel72 Tilbake i Blindból  2663 8
Kapittel32 Gudebildet           1802 6   Kapittel73 Byttehandelen       3998 13
Kapittel33 Festen               1868 6   Kapittel74 Stolarvingen        2584 8
Kapittel34 Samlingen            1916 6   Kapittel75 Portene             2967 9
Kapittel35 Ilumes vrede         1454 4   Kapittel76 Forfatterens takk   369 1
Kapittel36 Våkenatt             2363 7   Kapittel77 Om boka             130 0
Kapittel37 Avtalen              2194 7   Kapittel78 Om forfatteren      207 0
Kapittel38 Den evnesterke       1285 4   Kapittel79 Om denne boken      42 0
Kapittel39 Svartelds nåde       1915 6

The first number is the word count in that chapter and the 2nd number is the page-count based on 300 words per page. The original e-book didn't show chapter numbers, only titles, so I have typed those in, as having a number to refer to is useful. This still refers to the Norwegian version, of course. The arithmetic used is a bit crude, and always rounds down the page number, so even, say, 5.9 still shows as 5. For the purpose in question, it wasn't worth trying to make it more precise.
Last edited by Montmorency on Wed May 04, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Wed May 04, 2016 7:57 am

I read mostly print books, and I am lazy, so for my own input challenge I tend to count lines per page, but only for pages that aren't full - for example, at the start and end of chapters. If there is a page break within a chapter, I still count it as a full page, but if it is on the first or last page of a chapter, I will skip it. I've found that 'normal' lines per page in the books I have is about 32, but I've read a book with as little as 25 and as much as 36. I don't really care much for total accuracy. I see the numbers I've set as minimum targets. I don't count rereads for my personal input challenge, and I doubt I'll count single page rereads for the SC, although if I reread an entire book, I'd count it. I also don't count any of the other reading I do. I think I can afford a little leeway because of that - I've done a good few thousand extra words of reading in Lingq and Readlang that will probably never get counted.

I'm also fairly strict with audio, mostly because I'm too lazy to think of the time I actually spent listening to the TL. I also can't be bothered to tot up all of my previous listening, which is why my personal input challenge will only count audiobooks. I know where I stand with them!
0 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt

Postby Montmorency » Wed May 04, 2016 11:55 am

Elenia wrote:I read mostly print books, and I am lazy, so for my own input challenge I tend to count lines per page, but only for pages that aren't full - for example, at the start and end of chapters. If there is a page break within a chapter, I still count it as a full page, but if it is on the first or last page of a chapter, I will skip it. I've found that 'normal' lines per page in the books I have is about 32, but I've read a book with as little as 25 and as much as 36. I don't really care much for total accuracy. I see the numbers I've set as minimum targets. I don't count rereads for my personal input challenge, and I doubt I'll count single page rereads for the SC, although if I reread an entire book, I'd count it. I also don't count any of the other reading I do. I think I can afford a little leeway because of that - I've done a good few thousand extra words of reading in Lingq and Readlang that will probably never get counted.

I'm also fairly strict with audio, mostly because I'm too lazy to think of the time I actually spent listening to the TL. I also can't be bothered to tot up all of my previous listening, which is why my personal input challenge will only count audiobooks. I know where I stand with them!

I'm in two minds about accuracy: one the one hand, it's impossible to be totally accurate about a lot of input. On the other hand, a nerdish part of me is fascinated by the numbers, and in terms of target-language, I feel the number of words one is exposed to, passively or even better actively, is important. And while it's not normally all that easy to count words precisely, e-books do happen to lend themselves to doing that, so I thought I might as well. I will also be able to work out a words-per-minute equivalent for the audiobook for Odinsbarn, since I have it, and can then use it to estimate the number of words listened to in other audiobooks (for which I don't also have the e-book), and by extension, the number of words read in the real-book equivalent.

Like you though, I have tended to err on the side of under-reporting or under-estimating in my personal recording, and would take the same approach in the SC, e.g. calculate pages from 300 w/p rather than 250.

One thing I am fairly sure about is that the typical words per minute of an audiobook is quite different to that of a typical audio podcast, at least of the type I listen to which are typically from radio stations. I saw a research report somewhere into typical words per minute of various national radio stations in different countries. Some of them were hitting truly astonishing speeds. I think I mentioned it on the forum somewhere. Probably Spanish was the fastest, but none of them was exactly slow, even what you might think of as the more restrained ones, such as the Germanic languages.

Edit: this might have been it.

http://prosodia.upf.edu/home/arxiu/publ ... letins.pdf

Memory played tricks as usual, since the only "Germanic" language considered was English. I'd think German would be similar. I haven't listened to enough Scandinavian yet to make a comparison (or more precisely, I still can't reliably hear beginnings and endings of words yet in any Scandinavian language to make a sensible judgement). My guess is that it would be close in speed to English than Spanish.

[EDIT: 04.05.16: As you will see in the edited posting previous to this one, I have tidied up my chapter listings, and added an approximate page-count based on the (arbitrary) value of 300 words per page].
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Thu May 05, 2016 10:11 pm

I finally have my copy of the book! tiia, do you have yours yet?

I have read the prologue and the first two chapters. How does everyone feel about progressing to the next before the week's end? I feel I can happily read quite a bit more before Sunday, but a slow run up is probably better.

Also: we should try to keep the thread spoiler free before the weekend hits, which is what we did with the Tintenherz read-along back when everyone was more or less on track.
0 x

geoffw
Orange Belt
Languages: Speak well = English (N), Deutsch
Speak poorly = יידיש (Yiddish), Français
"Speak," I guess = עברית (Hebrew), Русский (Russian), Español, Nederlands, Esperanto

Postby geoffw » Fri May 06, 2016 12:10 am

Elenia wrote:Also: we should try to keep the thread spoiler free before the weekend hits, which is what we did with the Tintenherz read-along back when everyone was more or less on track.

I'm not too worried about spoilers for myself, but at least personally I'm expecting that the weekends are when I'll actually get the time to make progress. I've only finished the prologue so far, but several chapters over the weekend should be fairly simple.
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Fri May 06, 2016 8:20 am

Elenia wrote:I finally have my copy of the book! tiia, do you have yours yet?

Still waiting. I think it should arrive next week, but I don't know, maybe I'm lucky and still get it this week.
1 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Fri May 06, 2016 5:19 pm

tiia wrote:
Elenia wrote:I finally have my copy of the book! tiia, do you have yours yet?

Still waiting. I think it should arrive next week, but I don't know, maybe I'm lucky and still get it this week.

I can say fairly confidently that the first few chapters won't present too much of a problem for you, at least :)
1 x

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Sun May 08, 2016 5:29 am

I am going to get a copy after it is released in Danish (currently listed as May 13 - a delay from the last time I checked). I probably would not be able to keep up with the read-along even if I already had the book, so the delay does not matter. But I will be lurking along! I love the idea of reading something that does not exist in English, and I love Nordic mythology. I don't think I would be brave enough to try this book on my own - the invented words intimidate me :)
1 x
Corrections are always welcome.

Return to “Multilingual Room”