Nordic Book Club : Odinsbarn

Practice your target languages here.
steyyan
Orange Belt
Languages: NO, en, de, es, nl, fr, ja

Re: Nordic Book Club : Odinsbarn

Postby steyyan » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:47 pm

Elenia wrote:Then, what is the general feeling for fifty pages and 7 chapters this week, up to and including chapter 38, 'Den evnesterke'/'Mahdissa väkevä'/'Stark i kraften'?

I followed that, which means that I'm through with Den evnesterke.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:54 pm

steyyan wrote:
Elenia wrote:Then, what is the general feeling for fifty pages and 7 chapters this week, up to and including chapter 38, 'Den evnesterke'/'Mahdissa väkevä'/'Stark i kraften'?

I followed that, which means that I'm through with Den evnesterke.

Ah, of course! That is what I meant to say. I have also read this chapter.
0 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:23 pm

Keep the spoilers coming. Well, you call them spoilers; I call them comprehension assistance clues..and this is all about comprehensible input, right? :)
1 x

chokofingrz
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N);
French, Spanish (advanced);
German, Italian, Swedish (intermediate);
Russian, Catalan (beginner);
Portuguese, Luxembourgish, Japanese, Welsh, Arabic (dabbled)

Postby chokofingrz » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:00 pm

I finished the book just now. 28 hours over 7 weeks it's taken me. Never would have thought I'd read a 1000-page Swedish fantasy novel. It was quite enjoyable, and I must refrain from dropping any spoilers. I will collect my thoughts in the next couple of days, and then have a well-deserved foray into something non-Scandinavian! Thanks all, for inspiring me to challenge myself.
3 x

daegga
Blue Belt
Languages: Bavarian (spoken), German
-- ≥ C1 passive --
English (IELTS 8.5)
Scandinavian (a: N>D>S)
-- along the way --
French, Italian
-- can read with dict --
Old Norse
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17055

Postby daegga » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:31 pm

chokofingrz wrote:I finished the book just now. 28 hours over 7 weeks it's taken me. Never would have thought I'd read a 1000-page Swedish fantasy novel. It was quite enjoyable, and I must refrain from dropping any spoilers. I will collect my thoughts in the next couple of days, and then have a well-deserved foray into something non-Scandinavian! Thanks all, for inspiring me to challenge myself.

Such self-discipline. How can you not immediately want to read the rest of the trilogy? :)
1 x
jag nöjer mig med tystnad

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:56 pm

daegga wrote:
chokofingrz wrote:I finished the book just now. 28 hours over 7 weeks it's taken me. Never would have thought I'd read a 1000-page Swedish fantasy novel. It was quite enjoyable, and I must refrain from dropping any spoilers. I will collect my thoughts in the next couple of days, and then have a well-deserved foray into something non-Scandinavian! Thanks all, for inspiring me to challenge myself.

Such self-discipline. How can you not immediately want to read the rest of the trilogy? :)

I know, right? I figured I'd read something else after finishing the first book, but I just had to keep going. I'm now in the middle of the second book and it's even better and more exciting so far than the first was. I'm well on my way to the fifty chapters a week that Elenia suggested.
1 x

chokofingrz
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N);
French, Spanish (advanced);
German, Italian, Swedish (intermediate);
Russian, Catalan (beginner);
Portuguese, Luxembourgish, Japanese, Welsh, Arabic (dabbled)

Postby chokofingrz » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:47 pm

daegga wrote:Such self-discipline. How can you not immediately want to read the rest of the trilogy? :)

Tempting, but then I had a crazy idea... what if I wait until I've studied Norwegian or Danish, before starting book 2? :)
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:16 pm

chokofingrz wrote:
daegga wrote:Such self-discipline. How can you not immediately want to read the rest of the trilogy? :)

Tempting, but then I had a crazy idea... what if I wait until I've studied Norwegian or Danish, before starting book 2? :)

... Or read them in one of these languages and call it study?
2 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:06 pm

Elenia wrote:
chokofingrz wrote:

... Or read them in one of these languages and call it study?

That's more or less what I'm doing.

Edit: By the way, I found this interesting review (in English), by a Norwegian, but beware, it contains what people may regard as spoilers. (But most of you are already so far through that it might not matter):

http://kingmagu.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/ ... ld-by.html
1 x

steyyan
Orange Belt
Languages: NO, en, de, es, nl, fr, ja

Postby steyyan » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:24 am

Well, most of the chapters this week were mainly explanations of canon, it seems. At least we've got a clear picture of how Mannfalla is as a city. It seems like it get shittier the further away from Eisvaldr you get.

It's nice that Hirka was bright enough to see that something was off with her patient. Not bright enough though, since she did expose herself as a child of Odin one or two days later. What do you think would happen to her? Can't be anything too bad though, since we're only a little more than halfway through the first book in a triology...

Urd seems to be involved with that as well... That bloke will be in deep shit soon if he doesn't stop with all that sinister stuff.
0 x

Return to “Multilingual Room”