Nordic Book Club : Odinsbarn

Practice your target languages here.
steyyan
Orange Belt
Languages: NO, en, de, es, nl, fr, ja

Re: Nordic Book Club : Odinsbarn

Postby steyyan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:37 pm

I don't know the exact page numbers, but I keep it at 900 'locations' a week on my e-reader (following your earlier suggestions), which is a little less than 50 pages. What you suggested now is about 1200 locations (~65 pages) instead.

I'm fine with that -- although my opinion shouldn't be taken too seriously, I'm not reading it in any of my target languages -- since if we keep up with that tempo, we'll finish the book one week earlier.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:38 am

Well, as the three of us don't mind an extra chapter, should we try reading up to and including 'Blod'/'Veri'? If it suddenly becomes impossible for whatever reason, post here and we can reconsider.

Elsa Maria - I'm really excited for you, about what is coming next! I don't think you will see much of it coming. I'm glad that you're enjoying the book! Thanks for sharing the wikia link - I'm too scared to have a proper rummage around in case of spoilers. I can't quite bring myself to even read the blurbs for the other books!
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:38 pm

Elenia wrote:Well, as the three of us don't mind an extra chapter, should we try reading up to and including 'Blod'/'Veri'? If it suddenly becomes impossible for whatever reason, post here and we can reconsider.

Elsa Maria - I'm really excited for you, about what is coming next! I don't think you will see much of it coming. I'm glad that you're enjoying the book! Thanks for sharing the wikia link - I'm too scared to have a proper rummage around in case of spoilers. I can't quite bring myself to even read the blurbs for the other books!

The same goes for you. This series is full of plot twists and things you don't see coming. Just wait till you get to the second book. It was very exciting.
1 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:49 pm

I finished the Veri-chapter and really had to stop myself from reading the next one. I'm wondering what's going to happen with Rime now.

So how much are we going to read? I suppose we won't finish the book within one week, except, when you all want to read around 109 pages.
0 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:26 pm

I didn't stop myself :oops: I called the bookshop today to order book two, and I'm regretting not having done so two weeks ago!

I don't mind finishing the book this week, but if you want to take it slow I can apply the brakes (probably...)

I know, from accidentally spoiling myself, that a super awesome scene is coming up. Although I guess that's only natural considering the entire book so far.
0 x

steyyan
Orange Belt

Postby steyyan » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:04 pm

I finished it yesterday too. The chapters this week have surely been more interesting and eventful than the last batch.

I wonder what use they will be for Ravnhov -- or whoever found them. He was practically dying and she's earth blind.
Rime seems awfully interested in experiencing 'the rot' by the way...

Reading up to and including 'De blinde' would be a little more than half of the remaining part of the book, so I suggest that.
1 x

steyyan
Orange Belt

Postby steyyan » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:55 am

Well, any suggestions as to how far we're supposed to read this week would be excessive, I think, since we've got litte more than 50 pages left of it.

So, Urd has apparently contracted the rot, from Hirka's father apparently. That it has affected his throat conjures some rather disturbing mental images as to how. :P Just joking of course, since I don't really believe that's how he got it - that "rumour" is just a silly song that may or may not be a product of Council propaganda.
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:38 pm

I didn't actually get any reading done last week, so I will be reading until the end this week. On another note, I think this thread would be a great place to discuss the other books in the series. I think anyone wanting to do so should feel free, but just tag the beginning of their post if it contains spoilers. I hope to be continuing the series sooner rather than later, but might not be able to get my hands on a copy of the book before October...

EDIT: As for Urds tattoo - I always thought that it was the cost of whatever magic he had done to himself? Similar to whatever magic Damayanti used, but with a more obvious physical repercussion. Of course, my view on this is subject to change, having not read last weeks pages...
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:51 am

You were not the only one who didn't get (nearly) any reading done. I tried to continue during the week, but somehow always fell asleep after 4-5 pages. However, I managed to catch up on Sunday+Monday.
0 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

steyyan
Orange Belt

Postby steyyan » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:24 am

I finished it last night! I'd love to just pick up the second book right away, but I personally think that's a bad idea right now, since I'm about to start at uni again...

It wasn't the most romantic of goodbyes, though, was it? Rime's still eager to disprove the existence of the rot, of course. Considering how he tried to convince her to stay, I fully understand why she didn't want to say goodbye to him before going.

What do you think awaits Hirka on the other side? Do you think she'll return to Ymslanda without taking another batch of blindlings with her?
0 x

Return to “Multilingual Room”