Best Assimil courses for each language [continuation].

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
astromule
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), French, Portuguese, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=794&start=240

Re: Best Assimil courses for each language [continuation].

Postby astromule » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:15 am

Do you recommend it nonetheless? (So I know what to put on the last column :) )

1e4e6 wrote:I have Perfecionnement Italien by Federico Benedetti, which says 2012. I notice that in the later exercises with the fill in the blank, it gets a bit difficult because sometimes all of the blanks are blank (instead of having clue words like in the sans peine books) to translate.
0 x

diplomaticus
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby diplomaticus » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:46 am

AlexTG wrote:Professor Arguelles did a video review of some German based series:

He also did a review of the stuff available from Langensheidt, which generally seems to be very highly thought of:

Oh, wow! I actually just meant Assimil courses from a German base, haha. But I am glad you answered me as you did. These are great!
1 x
Petit a petit, l’oiseau fait son nid.

daegga
Blue Belt
Languages: Bavarian (spoken), German
-- ≥ C1 passive --
English (IELTS 8.5)
Scandinavian (a: N>D>S)
-- along the way --
French, Italian
-- can read with dict --
Old Norse
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17055

Postby daegga » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:58 am

diplomaticus wrote:Are there any courses from a German base that are thought to be especially quality? Not to get too far ahead of myself, but the idea of studying a 3rd language from my 2nd is intriguing!

Schwedisch ohne Mühe. It's the same as the old French one already recommended by another user, just in German adaption.
0 x
jag nöjer mig med tystnad

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:05 am

Slightly off topic, but could we get it to where we have a thread of recommended resources for every language? I like the table idea Astromule was using, but, for example, there's no Irish course. I feel it'd be nice to just have a collection of recommended resources for a variety of languages for new users to look at. Perhaps it already exists, but I haven't found anything like that.
1 x

astromule
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), French, Portuguese, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German, Russian

Postby astromule » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:13 am

Yes, that's the idea. We've just began with this :)

You could look for an advanced Irish learner here on the forum and ask him about what he used. Then we could put it here.

galaxyrocker wrote:Slightly off topic, but could we get it to where we have a thread of recommended resources for every language? I like the table idea Astromule was using, but, for example, there's no Irish course. I feel it'd be nice to just have a collection of recommended resources for a variety of languages for new users to look at. Perhaps it already exists, but I haven't found anything like that.
0 x

diplomaticus
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby diplomaticus » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:17 pm

This might be a useful resource for some:
https://soundcloud.com/assimil

It is an uploading of the first, last, and middle track of audio from every currently sold Assimil course. You can get a feel for the quality of the voices and recordings and also an idea of how fast it is by the end!
4 x
Petit a petit, l’oiseau fait son nid.

astromule
Green Belt

Postby astromule » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:06 am

For Russian I recommend "The New Penguin Russian Course", by Nicholas J. Brown, 1996.
I'm still waiting for recommendations for Estonian and Georgian by someone. Você sabe de quem estou falando. :D
Any more votes here? :)
0 x

astromule
Green Belt

Postby astromule » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:14 am

The updated table (without German): http://i.imgur.com/uOiaqza.jpg

German's here (previous table): http://i.imgur.com/y6XCIS1.jpg
0 x

Elisac
White Belt
Languages: Italian (native)
English (C1)
Japanese (intermediate)
Hebrew (beginner)
Greek (beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... =15&t=1103

Postby Elisac » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:40 pm

I started learning Japanese with "Il Giapponese senza sforzo" (2 volumes) and I recommend it.
It's funny and makes you have a feeling for the language. Obviously you can't reach a high level with it, being Japanese such a complicated language. But assimil can get you converse in no time (everyday topics).

I'm now learning Hebrew and Greek with assimil "il nuovo Greco senza sforzo" e "l'ebraico" and I like both courses.
I'm a beginner in both Greek and Hebrew (15th lesson do Greek and 27th for Hebrew) but I really like them so far.
The Greek one is very dense...but I love it anyway :)
1 x
Kodansha: 2300 / 2300
Wanikani: 46 / 60
ShinNihongoNoChukyu: 11 / 20
AssimilGreek: 21 / 92
AssimilHebrew: 35 / 85

astromule
Green Belt

Postby astromule » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:02 pm

I'm currently doing six different Assimil courses every day, for six different languages: Danish, Norwegian, French, Portuguese, German and Italian.

At the beginning I began working with several editions for each language, as this table shows: Image, but then I came to the conclusion that it was better for me to stick to just one edition per language.

I've reviewed:

1950, Without Toil, German-English.
1986, Assimil - nuevo aleman sin esfuerzo, German-Spanish.
2004, Assimil - L'allemand - 2004, German-French.

From these three I've chosen 1950, as it has 126 lessons and more content per lesson. 1986 is better in one aspect: it introduces the "du" at the beginning of the dialogues, whereas most of 1950 talks about "Sie". 2004 has much less content that the previous two.

On the advanced level you have
Assimil - La pratique de l'allemand, 1969
Perfectionnement Allemand, 2003.

1957, French without toil
1983, Assimil El Nuevo Francés Sin Esfuerzo 1983
2000, French without Toil.

For French I've decided to remain with the 1983 book in Spanish and the audio from 2000, which is almost exactly the same, but with better recordings. The recorded dialogues from 1957 are rather stiff for my taste.

On the advanced level you have three editions:
Business French - Le francais des affaires
Francais en pratique, Using French
Francese Perfezionamento (French-Italian edition).

Assimil - El nuevo italiano sin esfuerzo 1986
Assimil - Italian without toil (1957)
Assimil - Italien sans peine 2004

For Italian I've chosen 1986, although 1957 is also very good: the dialogues are funnier and you have songs aswell. The downside is that you have more outdated expressions. It's also better for me to use 1986, as it's Italian/Spanish, whereas 1957 is Italian/English. As you know, Spanish is much closer to Italian than English, so the general notes and pronunciation notes are made accordingly.

ImageImage
Assimil - El Nuevo Portugues Sin Esfuerzo 2005 (Portuguese from Portugal)
Assimil Portugais du Brésil 2004 (Portuguese from Brazil)

The same reason applies here than in Italian: 2005 is Portuguese/Spanish, so the notes and pronunciation are more useful to me. The dialogues so far aren't specially bright, just regular conversations.

I haven't used Assimil to learn Swedish, but I've heard great reviews for "Le suedois..." and I've seen it and I can vouch for its quality; the same for the 2011 edition. What I'm using for Swedish instead is Rivstart B1-B2: 16 chapters, each one covering one particular subject (sport, job, legends, food), all in Swedish, hours of recorded native audio.

Assimil Le suedois sans peine tome 1, tome 2
Assimil Lo svedese senza sforzo 2011
RIVSTART B1-B2

I only reached lesson 30th of Russe 1971 and a few chapters of the Penguin course. Regarding Michel Thomas, I've completed the Foundation course and I reached around lesson 45/90 of Pimsleur. The following list has more an illustrative purpose, to show the different editions/material of Russian that you can find around:

Assimil Russe sans peine 1971
The New Penguin Russian Course
Pimsleur Russian 1-90
Michel Thomas Russian
Assimil Russian with Ease 2011
Assimil Ruso perfeccionamiento 2014
Assimil Le russe 2008
Assimil Le nouveau Russe sans peine 1995
Assimil Kit Conversation Russe

For Norwegian and Danish it was a simpler matter, as there are only two editions. Well, actually, there's also Le danois from 2015, that I haven't seen nor used.

ImageImage

Le Norvégien sans peine, 1997: so far so good.
Le Danois dans peine, 1992: only 65 lessons.
4 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”