Best Assimil courses for each language [continuation].

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
astromule
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), French, Portuguese, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=794&start=240

Re: Best Assimil courses for each language [continuation].

Postby astromule » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:48 pm

Got it. In the meantime, I'll update the first post. :)

emk wrote:
astromule wrote:Sorry to bring this up again, but how can I set a table such as this one? http://i.imgur.com/WemcJHG.jpg
Could you please explain me how to do it, in very simple terms? Because I tried to set the table using one of the guides, but I failed.

I think a table sounds like a lovely idea. But we do not yet have table support yet. It's trickier than it looks, there are potentially security issues, and we want to get it right.
0 x

Rniks
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B1-B2 limbo), Romanian (beginner)

Postby Rniks » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:57 am

Getting only about halfway through Assimil's 1987 edition of Spanish with Ease (I only ever partially completed the active wave and was inconsistent in my studying) combined with a cheap verb workbook was enough for me to survive studying abroad in Spain, taking university classes with Spanish students. Granted, I had taken one Spanish class prior to leaving to meet the criteria to be eligible, but I can confidently say I took away much more from studying on my own with Assimil. While I still felt overwhelmed using Spanish academically, looking back on it I'm really impressed with the foundation Assimil helped me build. I might not have been ready to write formal essays, but I was definitely functional and able to make the transition to using native materials.
1 x

astromule
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), French, Portuguese, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German, Russian

Postby astromule » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:26 am

This is the provisory table: http://i.imgur.com/y6XCIS1.jpg
What do you think?
0 x

Polyclod
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish, French, German (Intermediate)
Learning: Russian
Hit List: Brazilian Portuguese, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1181

Postby Polyclod » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:47 am

The table looks great. I'd second a vote for the newest version of Assimil Le Russe or Russian by Victoria Melnikova-Suchet , (I think they've dropped the "With Ease" from the titles of their courses). My course (the English version) dates from 2011, but I think the original French version is from 2008. I know Assimil has been watering down their courses lately, but I think this is still a good one, at least from looking at it (I haven't used it yet, but I can't wait!)
1 x
Bücher:

Star Trek The Next Generation Tod im Winter: 82 / 348

Русский

Assimil Russian: 30 / 100

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:45 pm

Slightly off-topic, but I wonder if this dropping of 'sans peine' in the titles has to do with the brand Assimil itself becoming more well-known worldwide, thanks largely to its promotions in forums such as HTLAL. The old books had 'sans peine' on large font and the brand 'Assimil' was on smaller fonts, and now it's the brand's name that has taken more space.

I don't vouch for any of the Russian series that much, maybe it's because I went through all of them in a row (and later Perfectionnement) and didn't get to the level I expected I would, which is the one I am now; it rather took me two other years. I still don't know what I did wrong, but the Assimil lessons didn't work as n+1 input for me, rather, as n+10 input, compared to other languages.

I find the Norwegian one quite dense and possessing too much of non-urban vocabulary for my taste. Perfectionnement Italien, on the other hand, is quite helpful.
1 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

astromule
Green Belt

Postby astromule » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:49 am

Is it this one, http://amzn.to/1IO3X46, from 2013? Or the 1987 edition, by F. Benedetti?
Expugnator wrote: Perfectionnement Italien, on the other hand, is quite helpful.
0 x

astromule
Green Belt

Postby astromule » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:52 am

I've added both your recommendation and Expugnator's to the table, but I'll update the picture when I get a few more courses. :)

If anyone else has used one of the courses on the list and has find it useful, please let me know, so I'll add the name at the "recommended by" column.

Polyclod wrote:The table looks great. I'd second a vote for the newest version of Assimil Le Russe or Russian by Victoria Melnikova-Suchet , (I think they've dropped the "With Ease" from the titles of their courses). My course (the English version) dates from 2011, but I think the original French version is from 2008. I know Assimil has been watering down their courses lately, but I think this is still a good one, at least from looking at it (I haven't used it yet, but I can't wait!)
0 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:12 pm

astromule wrote:Is it this one, http://amzn.to/1IO3X46, from 2013? Or the 1987 edition, by F. Benedetti?
Expugnator wrote: Perfectionnement Italien, on the other hand, is quite helpful.

It's the one by Benedetti, though a more recent reprint. I didn't know there was a new edition by a new author.

As for Papiamento, the only textbook that deserves the name is 'Papiamentu Textbook, by E. R. Goilo (which is also available in Dutch and Spanish; I also have the Spanish edition and it's not entirely equal to the English one, so it's better for someone with a Spanish or Portuguese backgrounds as it is slightly more biased towards explaning to Spanish speakers.
1 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

diplomaticus
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby diplomaticus » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:42 pm

Are there any courses from a German base that are thought to be especially quality? Not to get too far ahead of myself, but the idea of studying a 3rd language from my 2nd is intriguing!
1 x
Petit a petit, l’oiseau fait son nid.

AlexTG
Green Belt
Languages: Easy to Read: English(N), French, Spanish
Able to Read: German, Latin
Learning to Read: Japanese, Hindi/Urdu

Postby AlexTG » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:52 am

Professor Arguelles did a video review of some German based series:

He also did a review of the stuff available from Langenscheidt, which generally seems to be very highly thought of:

Last edited by AlexTG on Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”