Stuck at an A1 Level - German

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
keepcalm1
Languages: Speaks English - Learning German

Stuck at an A1 Level - German

Postby keepcalm1 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:23 pm

Hey,

Although there are several topics regarding plateaus , the posters questions were not so similar to mine I think, if it has been discussed before please show me the link.

I started learning German in 2006 via self study and at the time I felt I made rapid progress, was able to visit Germany in 2007 and 2012 and had a great time both times, especially seeing the language in action. However, during this time I feel that my production of the language was always limited, for best reference with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages levels I would say my production of the language is at A1, while understanding is more like a B2. It is very frustrating that when speaking to German speakers online and in person, even listening to live radio which I enjoy do I rarely have a problem understanding what is being spoken, however to produce those words myself wouldnt happen and would always revert to English for anything past an A1.

After my 2012 visit, I more or less stopped actively learning German as for a while I felt I was not improving and took a break. When I got back to it, after a few months I also felt I was in the same position and stopped again, tired of working for no results (what I perceive as no results). I do have other language learning ambitions although I would not say they are as extensive as my interest in German with a few exceptions, meaning for German I like the history, culture etc... realistically a few languages also speak to me like this, mainly French and Turkish.

From 2012-Present I have attempted some languages that my friends speak (Swedish) and languages with a local community (Spanish), however I feel i learn a lot quickly then get bored and stop, I believe this is due to not really being interested in them with Tangible reasons like German and don't mind living without them. As a language enthusiast I have many languages of sub-categorical interest that I wouldn't mind to learn as well.

I know there is no magical answer but I am curious to hear other peoples suggestions, I do not know many people who have learned languages (Other than my German friends who speak English) therefore don't really have anyone to ask this too. I have thought about Starting French or Turkish but not only would that mean starting all over and finding new people to talk with etc.. I think the same problem can happen and will be 2 languages with the same problem if the core isn't resolved.

Hope to hear some suggestions
0 x

Oscard587
Yellow Belt
Languages: Korean (Native)
English (A2)
Russian (Beginner)

-Turkish, Polish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5866

Re: Stuck at an A1 Level - German

Postby Oscard587 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:13 am

I have the same problem with you. In my case, it's Speaking. I also looking for the answer how could I overcome these.

Recently, I decided to practice speaking output by myself. Because it's obvious to me why I couldn't speak well - I just didn't do that much when compared to others ; Reading, writing and listening. so I'll apply some methodologies and some resources to overcome this.

Or maybe.. There are something people called as 'plateau'. When you feel comfortable with you already achieved then you try less to use something new. If it's your case then you need to try go through by intentionally. This is what I felt about my English reading. I never tried to understand more difficult articles and didn't tried to learn something new and use it. Now I realized that I need to do that.

It seems others didn't have same problem with you or maybe who experienced these didn't read yours until now. I'm sorry that I couldn't give you proper answer.
1 x
Just because I accept the inevitability of my fate, does not mean I am in any hurry to embrace it!

Mais l'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Thu May 18, 2017 9:45 am

keepcalm1 wrote:I started learning German in 2006 via self study and at the time I felt I made rapid progress, was able to visit Germany in 2007 and 2012 and had a great time both times, especially seeing the language in action. However, during this time I feel that my production of the language was always limited, for best reference with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages levels I would say my production of the language is at A1, while understanding is more like a B2. It is very frustrating that when speaking to German speakers online and in person, even listening to live radio which I enjoy do I rarely have a problem understanding what is being spoken, however to produce those words myself wouldnt happen and would always revert to English for anything past an A1.
I know there is no magical answer but I am curious to hear other peoples suggestions, I do not know many people who have learned languages (Other than my German friends who speak English) therefore don't really have anyone to ask this too. I have thought about Starting French or Turkish but not only would that mean starting all over and finding new people to talk with etc.. I think the same problem can happen and will be 2 languages with the same problem if the core isn't resolved.

Hope to hear some suggestions

The core problem - is it plateau or the gap between passive and productive skills? The latter is inevitable, I guess, if you don't live in your TL environment. I have the same problem with my English. The plateau problem, with regard to passive skills, in my case was partly overcame by increasing amount of reading and listening to native materials. Revising grammar rules from time to time is helping me too. At the higher levels it just takes more time and efforts to get up further, IMO.
2 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Thu May 18, 2017 10:20 am

Every day, when you're speaking English, think to yourself from time to time, "How would I say that in German?" If you aren't sure, look it up or write it down to ask a native speaker. Do that ten to twenty times each day, practice the things you learn (with Anki, a tutor, corrected writing, whatever you like), and soon you will notice progress.

Obviously since you are at an A1 productive level, start with simple things to avoid throwing yourself into despair.
9 x

perfektesLeben
White Belt
Languages: English and German

Postby perfektesLeben » Thu May 18, 2017 2:20 pm

I can understand what you mean. Of course i'm german so it's different and if i want to speak i just call my dad. But i don't speak it so much other places. Of course i think in German so maybe try that? Maybe when you're going on with your day think only in German even if the thoughts are not grammatically correct you're still actively thinking about this things in German. But of course you have to speak. Can you practice talking to your german Friends? Even if they speak English just ask them if you could just try having a German conversation with them. Or do what my husband did, find a significant other whos german and marry them ;) Of course now he doesn't practice his German as much as he used to...
2 x

keepcalm1

Postby keepcalm1 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:18 pm

Thank you for your replies.

I will for sure will look into everything that is said here. More specifically what bugs me is being able to understand so much (like listening about the French election in German via Tagesschau podcast) but produce so little, I would say when i do think of how to say things in German, the vocabulary is there mostly but the word order is not correct which puzzles me how its that bad.

As for my German friends, I got lucky and they are very helpful, which is good.

Thanks.
0 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Fri May 19, 2017 1:39 am

keepcalm1 wrote:More specifically what bugs me is being able to understand so much (like listening about the French election in German via Tagesschau podcast) but produce so little

If you have trouble speaking, then the solution is to speak more, until you don't have trouble. :)

I don't mean to be flippant. Focus on your weakest skill; it'll improve, you just have to put the uncomfortable effort into it.

Good luck!
2 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

keepcalm1

Postby keepcalm1 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:34 am

Arthaey

Thank you for your post, I agree that the solution is to speak more, however lack of vocabulary isn't the problem, it is forming sentences and past the basics (usually found in textbooks) I find it difficult to prepare my reply in a meaningful conversation D:

Also as mentioned in my original post , should I start another language of comparable interest to German, ideally is like this same problem to not occur which is why i am searching for the potential root problem.

We shall see.
0 x

datsunking1
White Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (B2/C1) German (B1) Portuguese (A2) French (Beginner) Russian (Beginner) Italian (Beginner)

Postby datsunking1 » Sun May 21, 2017 2:17 am

I would say to wing it. Most if not all Germans/German speakers will be happy to help you and work with you. They are typically flattered you're even attempting. You're going to make mistakes, PERIOD. Make sure you know apologies like the back your hand and phrases like "I'm sorry I'm learning" or "Please correct me if I'm wrong" etc. to make sure you're not coming across as insulting and genuinely trying to learn. There is no shame in it. In addition, there are a lot of Youtube resources and even Netflix (you can change the native language :D) can help greatly.

Don't give up, you're not stuck at all. The only way you get stuck is if you decide to STOP progressing.

Viel Glueck! :D
1 x

schlaraffenland
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2)
Actively studying: French (C1), Japanese (~N5)
My old flames: Latin, Ancient Greek (Koine, Attic, Homeric)
On ice for now: Spanish, Korean, Turkish, Norwegian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5831

Postby schlaraffenland » Sun May 21, 2017 3:42 am

Hi keepcalm1,

I feel your pain! When you're hitting a wall like this, the best thing to do is to be ferocious and creative in your approaches, I think. Some things you're doing are working, as demonstrated by your high comprehension level; other things aren't. I think continuing to try new approaches will eventually expose you to some techniques that bring you more success in the areas you want. You'll find them if you keep looking! Keep reading the forums here, polyglot bloggers, language-learning books from the library, etc. Give every little tip and trick a go, especially the random things that never appealed to you before. You don't have to commit to one method or buy a $200 course; in fact, I'd advise against that. But soak up every free resource you can find and see how it fits.

My spontaneous/lively/extemporaneous speaking abilities also tend to lag far behind the other things I can do in a given language. One day, almost overnight, they tend to catch up. That has mostly resulted in speaking a ton, as others here have suggested, as awkward and frustrating and difficult as it is. For a long time, it looks like you're making zero progress, but suddenly, it comes bursting out. It's the straw that breaks the camel's back (in a good way), or, as it is rendered in German, "das Zünglein an der Waage" :D

When I read your post, Hueber's Alltagstauglich series came to mind. Are you familiar with this? Here is the book I was thinking of. I have the equivalent one for French, and it's really helped me. The level is nominally A1-A2, but these are phrases you'll use for the duration of your German conversational life. The books in this series are a collection of thematically grouped conversational "ingredients," and they come with an mp3 recorded in your language and the target language alike. Sure, there is some tourist phrasebook stuff here. But it's far more than "Waiter, there's a fly in my soup." There are whole sections with elegant, idiomatic turns of phrase so that you can hold your own in a conversation, acknowledge what your interlocutor is saying, agree/disagree, etc. And, of course, as you become comfortable with the phrases, you can modify them in ways that are personal for you.

That's the key, I think: You are getting a lot of good input, but it may be that you're not repeating it enough in bite-sized bits. If you do the tiresome work of repeating some set phrases like this, you will make their patterns your own and come to reply automatically and idiomatically. I can't tell you how much that helped me when I was back around B1 or so in German.

I don't know what country you're in, but I'm in the U.S. and was able to buy the PDF + mp3 download of this book with a credit card drawn on a U.S. bank without any problem and download them within 15 minutes. That's not always the case with German publishers online. They often claim they'll be glad to ship worldwide, but it turns out they'll bill you by invoice, and you must wire the money internationally, which adds a hefty fee. Hueber doesn't seem to constrain itself to that, fortunately for those of us who haven't got a German bank account. If you have 10€ to kick around, it could be well worth your while, if you put in the daily chore of repeating and memorizing.

I wish you luck!
1 x
: 120 / 150 Expressions françaises (120/150)

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”