Getting my Korean from intermediate to advanced?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
pandaramyun
Languages: Korean (intermediate), Spanish (passively bilingual), Japanese (passively bilingual), Thai (beginner), mandarin (intermediate)

Getting my Korean from intermediate to advanced?

Postby pandaramyun » Wed May 17, 2017 3:10 am

I've been learning korean for six months now and I've gotten to the point that I can read novels with dictionary use and comics without but it's still a pain to search up unknown words. As for listening, I can follow along with dubbed animes and my favourite youtubers without problem but medical/business speak totally confuses me. I'm currently using intermediate korean grammar in use and once I'm done with that, I'll be using sogang writing book one and korean composition to improve my writing skills as well as reading more novels. What else can I use to get to advanced? I have native speaker friends though I don't live in Korea.
0 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: Getting my Korean from intermediate to advanced?

Postby tarvos » Wed May 17, 2017 8:26 am

You need targeted practice in order to improve your language skills. Writing skills are one of them.

Other things you need to do are similar things for speaking. I recommend looking up Korean exams and working through them, though you don't necessarily need to sit the exam - usually exam prep activities really help at the intermediate-advanced boundary.

And from here on out, progress tends to be much slower.
1 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Re: Getting my Korean from intermediate to advanced?

Postby Sayonaroo » Wed May 24, 2017 4:17 pm

You have to learn/look up the words that are being used in the media you want to understand. Like for me I wanted to understand a talkvareity show so I had to constantly look up words since they talk a lot and they're bound to use words I don't know. As I did this I noticed that I look up less words now since I'm very familiar with the commonly used words. So it sounds like you just need to find out what it is you want understand and keep looking words up. Do you really have interest in the news? I have no interest but I do understand the news better because I learned all these words from talk variety shows. And actually since you mentioned
Business and medical talk it sounds like those areas would be hanja heavy and most of those words are not hard to learn if you know other words with the same hanja in it. You can do textbooks all you want but you need to build your vocabulary to understand stuff.

By the way what does passively bilingual mean? It sounds like an oxymoron to me.
When I hear bilingual I'm assuming that the person is well-versed in both languages.... like most likely fluent. Anyways for sinowords take advatangr of your Japanese vocab

Check out the links on my blog

https://choronghi.wordpress.com/about/
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”