Should I learn japanese, or maybe more practical language?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Re: Should I learn japanese, or maybe more practical language?

Postby aaleks » Sun May 14, 2017 4:43 pm

If I ever thought about how practical it could be to learn a foreign language I would never have learned even English up to my current not-too-high level :) I think that if one really wants to learn a certain language, s/he just will do it, no matter how unpractical that is.
2 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Sun May 14, 2017 5:04 pm

If you feel a connection to Japanese culture then that would seem the ideal reason to learn it.

Working out how to better learn and improve on your grammar is an entirely separate question.
3 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun May 14, 2017 5:04 pm

You clearly want to learn Japanese, so go ahead :) All natural languages have different registers, that's just how they work. And all languages have harder and easier features.

As for your English, no need to apologize for it ;) I don't think you'll have any problems participating here, but feel free to ask if something is difficult to understand. In terms of adding Japanese, I don't think this will hurt your English either. It's not like English is in an endangered language that you'll lose all contact with :D You'll probably continue using it, and chances are you'll need to use some English-based materials for Japanese. Don't listen to those who tell you to "finish" English first, especially if they haven't actually "finished" it themselves ;)
5 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Lunox
Languages: Native: Polish
Learn: English
Interested in learning: Japanese (maybe/not sure), Spanish, Swedish (maybe/very not sure), German (maybe), Chinese (maybe/not sure), Thai (very not sure), Dutch (very not sure)
Wants to know at a basic level: French, Korean.

Postby Lunox » Sun May 14, 2017 6:28 pm

By practical use I meant that vision of travel to Taiwan and Thailand is more likely than to Japan which is very expensive.
Chinese is/will be more useful than Japan, maybe not in Poland, but maybe in other country in which I would like to live, Taiwan is a small, peace place, people what I've heard are friendlier than Chinese, but I dunno. Chinese has simpler grammar and readings of characters, but pronounciation could be a problem, however I think it's a good for improve hearing, I don't know, it teaches a culture for myselves. Thai is an original option, and people are very friendly but useful of a language is doubtable. Japanese from the other side is too overrated, people are unfortunately more conservative but I feel a bond to understanding culture. And I don't know what to do. Go for a passion, or more practical use?
0 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sun May 14, 2017 7:05 pm

Lunox wrote:By practical use I meant that vision of travel to Taiwan and Thailand is more likely than to Japan which is very expensive.

Japanese from the other side is to overrated, people are unfortunately too much conservative but I feel a bond to understanding culture. And I don't know what to do. Go for a passion, or more practical use?

You appear to be thinking out loud and changing your mind as you go. Flip a coin.
1 x

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Sun May 14, 2017 7:36 pm

Lunox wrote:By practical use I meant that vision of travel to Taiwan and Thailand is more likely than to Japan which is very expensive.
Chinese is/will be more useful than Japan, maybe not in Poland, but maybe in other country in which I would like to live, Taiwan is a small, peace place, people what I've heard are friendlier than Chinese, but I dunno. Chinese has simpler grammar and readings of characters, but pronounciation could be a problem, however I think it's a good for improve hearing, I don't know, it teaches a culture for myselves. Thai is an original option, and people are very friendly but useful of a language is doubtable. Japanese from the other side is too overrated, people are unfortunately more conservative but I feel a bond to understanding culture. And I don't know what to do. Go for a passion, or more practical use?

First of all you have to keep in mind that language is not something you can learn once and forever. In some way it’s a life-long commitment. I mean that you will have to maintain the language even and especially after you get onto C1-C2 level. So when you are making the decision what language you are going to learn, you have to take in account this part of language learning as well.
IMO, there is nothing practical in studying a language you don’t really like if you are not going to move to the country but just spend a couple of weeks on a vacation.
4 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sun May 14, 2017 7:38 pm

No one can really choose for you, but you will need to make a commitment for an extended period of time to learn a language - choose something you like, stick to it.
3 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Lunox
Languages: Native: Polish
Learn: English
Interested in learning: Japanese (maybe/not sure), Spanish, Swedish (maybe/very not sure), German (maybe), Chinese (maybe/not sure), Thai (very not sure), Dutch (very not sure)
Wants to know at a basic level: French, Korean.

Postby Lunox » Sun May 14, 2017 7:45 pm

IMO, there is nothing practical in studying a language you don’t really like if you are not going to move to the country but just spend a couple of weeks on a vacation.

That's why I wonder about learning japanese which will be only for my own satisfaction, and chinese/thai which will be more useful for me if one day I'd like to travel/live in Asia. I'm very interested in Japan and japanese, but for traveling/living I prefer Taiwan or Thailand and I don't know nothing about those cultures at yet.
I love to listening japanese, and thai is also interesting. Chinese isn't so melodic for me, but it's also interesting. Maybe because I don't know a tones?
0 x

SophiaMerlin_II
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Portuguese (0)

Postby SophiaMerlin_II » Sun May 14, 2017 8:08 pm

Lunox wrote:

That's why I wonder about learning japanese which will be only for my own satisfaction, and chinese/thai which will be more useful for me if one day I'd like to travel/live in Asia. I'm very interested in Japan and japanese, but for traveling/living I prefer Taiwan or Thailand and I don't know nothing about those cultures at yet.
I love to listening japanese, and thai is also interesting. Chinese isn't so melodic for me, but it's also interesting. Maybe because I don't know a tones?

Try to put aside six weeks and try to learn some Japanese, then six weeks for Chinese, then six weeks for Thai. By the end of that, you should know which one you are willing to learn ^.^
1 x
Please ignore my English, elsewise be kind!

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Sun May 21, 2017 6:51 am

Are you looking for "permission"?

If you don't want to learn a language (and don't need it for work), then just don't. That's okay; you won't hurt the language's feelings. ;)

If you want to learn a language (even if everyone else thinks it's "useless"), then just do it anyway. It's your life, not theirs.

Good luck with your journey!
5 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”