Should I learn japanese, or maybe more practical language?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Lunox
Languages: Native: Polish
Learn: English
Interested in learning: Japanese (maybe/not sure), Spanish, Swedish (maybe/very not sure), German (maybe), Chinese (maybe/not sure), Thai (very not sure), Dutch (very not sure)
Wants to know at a basic level: French, Korean.

Should I learn japanese, or maybe more practical language?

Postby Lunox » Sun May 14, 2017 10:05 am

Hello. It's my first post here, and I have a question which makes me doubt at now. First, I don't know if my english is correct, so don't be mad if I will make (made?) some mistakes.
I'm very interested in Japanese culture from 10 years ago, but I didn't even started studying it very seriously, because I know this language will be useless for me in the future. I love to listening this language (I still listening music from 10 years), I love culture of Japan (not all), and I think that a whole world should learn from them how to be a polite, ethic, cultural, creative, full of fantasy and serious. I'm so very introve-/neurotic and shy, so it's understandable why I fell in love with this nation. I guess... because not everything I like in the nation and language. I don't know what and why, but I like the sound of the language. It's so very dramatic, poetic, proud, fulll of fantasy, and cute at once ^_^. And the writing system is very various which makes a language more interesting.
I think that world without Japan would be a very sad place. If not Japan, we'll still not having a things such as games, events and others. As I know and see, people are not so very interested in China and Chinse. They prefer Japan, and I'm not surprised.

But, I have a problem. I'm not good in grammar (as you can see with my english), it makes me mad and giving frustration, but I'd like to understand this culture. I know that japanese will be useless for me, because I'm not going to live in Japan, even there are not any Japanese people around in my country/city (maybe some Vietnamese or Chinese, but a few). I'd like to visit Japan someday, but I don't know. I think it will be useless and I should focus more on learning Chinese which has simpler grammar, simpler readings, and probably would will be more useful in the future, but I'm not sure too. Japan is more exotic, unknown to others, it's not a same level as Chinese. I'm not so very interested in chinese culture (maybe in Taiwan, and learning traditional characters) because China is not a same as Japan (you know, censorship, very polluted, very low quality of education or human rights, no innovations, fakes, only making money and others..), but Chinese are and is more flexible than Japanese. I don't know what to do.

Maybe I should focus on learning other language and don't waste my energy into learning something which will be useless and make me mad in the future? I can't imagine my dialy life without hearing Japanese music, but grammar and readings of characters are probably too tough for me. :/
Maybe I should focus on learning chinese, thai (because people are more flexible than Japanese, and it's easier to live or travel to these countries) or just european languages such as Spain (I'd like to live) or Sweden (but I'm not sure because of the dangers here)? Is chinese will be very useful in the future?
0 x

stelingo
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (C1), Portuguese (C1), Italian (B2), German (High B1), Russian (B1), Czech (B1), Dutch (passive B1), Catalan (passive B1), Mandarin (A2), Polish (A2), Japanese (A2), Modern Standard Arabic (A1), Egyptian Arabic (A1), Turkish (Beginner) Thai (beginner). Korean (Beginner) Dabbled in Swedish, Norwegian, Slovak, Ukrainian, Romanian, Vietnamese

Re: Should I learn japanese, or maybe more practical language?

Postby stelingo » Sun May 14, 2017 11:31 am

Czesc! Most of the languages I study are of no practical use to me, I do so because I enjoy learning them. If you have an interest in a language and a culture, that's the one you should study. The chances of you needing it in a job may be low, but you will have plenty of opportunities of enjoying the fruits of your labour by watching films and anime online, reading books and manga. There are plenty of sites and apps for meeting native speakers. Hellotalk is one I would recommend. All these reasons are just as valid as learning a language because it will be of practical use. Both Japanese and Chinese will require a long term commitment from you. You are much more likely to keep up with Japanese, as you have a real interest in it.

One of the languages I use more than any other these days is Czech, as I have friends in Prague, and I go there several times a year. I would never have imagined the importance Czech has in my life 20 years ago. So you never know what the future holds and which languages will eventually turn out to be the 'practical' ones.

Don't be afraid of the grammar. There are plenty of good resources to help you. Two I would recommend

http://yesjapan.com/YJ6/index.php

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBSyd8tXJoEJKIXfrwkPdbA
1 x
Kolik jazyků znáš, tolikrát jsi člověkem.

Lunox
Interested in learning: Japanese (maybe/not sure), Spanish, Swedish (maybe/very not sure), German (maybe), Chinese (maybe/not sure), Thai (very not sure), Dutch (very not sure)

Postby Lunox » Sun May 14, 2017 12:34 pm

I wonder why you're learning all of these languages? For fun?
I want to learn for practical case, not only for fun, and japanese is one of them, unfortunately.
Not better to start learn more practical languages? I don't know. Even, I have a problems with english grammar and vocabulary. :/
0 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Sun May 14, 2017 1:20 pm

Learning a language is a lot like a live-in relationship (I'm in the mood for metaphors) - you will only have success if you spend a lot of time together and put in some regular work. And enjoy yourself somewhat. People who are not ready for a live-in relationship usually just date lots of people casually - or date no one. I suggest you take the same approach with languages - date a few that you think you might like until you find one you want to move in with - or maybe decide you prefer nights alone. You are young - you have plenty of time to meet girls/guys/languages. You don't have to be sure you love something at your age.

I believe you are mistaken about the Chinese education system.
2 x

Lunox

Postby Lunox » Sun May 14, 2017 1:45 pm

I know that a learning a language is like a life with/in environment. We should love the world of theirs who speak that language, that's why I wonder about Japanese and others. Languages are our world. The more you know, the more you are a human in your next live. :) But usefulness is also important. What will gives me a learning language which I will never been using? I'm even not sure about my english, huh. I know it's sounds funny, but I don't like the sound of english and culture of USA. That's why I'm not immersed in that environment, even if usefulness of english is very important.
0 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sun May 14, 2017 2:00 pm

My dad would say, "you don't know what you'll use until you have it". It's possible that if you study Japanese seriously, job opportunities would appear that you wouldn't be qualified for otherwise.
4 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Lunox

Postby Lunox » Sun May 14, 2017 2:20 pm

No, no. Im not thinking about learning language because ''a job''. I think we should first love culture, and then learn a language with a passion. Money isn't all, and I'm very sad that someone studying some language only for job opportunities. :( I'm not this kind of person.
I'm not going to live or work with Japanese, but I feel interest in culture, new way of thinking.
But there are some things which I can't accepte with a language which probably will make me sad such as female and male language, too much rules and others.
0 x

Aozora
Orange Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17971

Postby Aozora » Sun May 14, 2017 2:39 pm

I wonder what's practical about learning a language you aren't interested in. If it's not required for work or daily life, why put years of effort into learning a language you don't care for? Many people speak Chinese perhaps, but if the OP were to travel, wouldn't it make more sense to travel to Japan, the country that has the language and culture he/she loves?

On the other hand, I don't live or work in Japan, but I really love the language so it becomes practical for me to learn. I use it all the time because I love Japanese media, and it's so useful to be able to find out news and info that otherwise would be inaccessible.
2 x
Super Challenge Books: 14 / 100
Super Challenge Films: 63 / 100

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sun May 14, 2017 4:01 pm

Lunox wrote:Money isn't all, and I'm very sad that someone studying some language only for job opportunities. :( I'm not this kind of person.

What do or will you do for a living?
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sun May 14, 2017 4:14 pm

How are Chinese and Thai more practical than Japanese in Poland? I see that you have also listed German and Swedish as maybes. If you don't care for European languages you should be aware that Mandarin will likely not be objectively easier for you than Japanese. Your motivation on the other hand will be of value when studying Japanese. I also think you're unfair towards Mandarin. The only way to know for sure is to sample both.
Last edited by reineke on Sun May 14, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”