Language exchange research thesis

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
DannyV5
Languages: Dutch (native)
English (C1-C2)
Spanish (B2)
French (A2)

Language exchange research thesis

Postby DannyV5 » Tue May 02, 2017 9:56 am

Dear language enthusiasts! I'm currently writing my bachelor thesis about language exchanges and its impact on the language learning industry. I would therefore be very grateful for all the language exchanger's willing to take 2-3 minutes of their day to fill out a survey and enhance the quality of my research. Thank you in advance!

http://www.thesistools.com/web/?id=536315

The answers will be confidential and solely be used for the research project.

Kind regards,

Danny
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Language exchange research thesis

Postby Cavesa » Tue May 02, 2017 12:09 pm

Hi Danny,

I've just filled out your survey. I think it is quite well thought out, except for one thing. Perhaps that is the purpose, but you disregard the same stuff most langauge exchange platforms. We, natives of "worthless for exchange" languages have a very hard time finding exchange partners. Extremely hard time. So much I am getting allergic to the answer "just speak and speak to improve, finding exchange partners is easy". Of course I could be useful to people learning French or English too, but why would they choose me over tons of natives? And I totally understand them.

So, there is one option you didn't list in the "important features" question: huge userbase. That is the only way to find at least someone.

Of course, it may be irrelevant to your study, as you are probably interested just in the priviledged natives of big languages. But just in case it was mildly interesting, this is an extremely common problem for natives of smaller languages. Few people are learning them. And majority doesn't tend to be the natives of our common target languages. Sometimes, it is almost surprising how big languages are in just as bad position as the small ones.

For example, many czechs are learning German. Extremely few German natives are learning Czech, while lots and lots of Russian natives do (but that is really not as a popular langauge as German for Czech natives by far.). A huge userbase is the only way to face this problem at least a bit and give people a better chance of finding an exchange partner. Or another example: millions of people worldwide are learning English, while anglophones are commonly learning learning just a few languages and just exceptions venture outside of this bubble. Including English natives people living in countries where those langauges are spoken. And there could surely be tons of other examples from all the regions of the world.
6 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Tue May 02, 2017 2:06 pm

Cavesa wrote:Sometimes, it is almost surprising how big languages are in just as bad position as the small ones.

One manifestation of this is imbalance. For example, although an English native may be able to find a Dutch language partner, it is virtually impossible to find one who isn't a whole lot better in English than you are in Dutch. In other words, between major and minor languages, it is very difficult to find a balanced language exchange. And a balanced exchange is important for several reasons, but probably most importantly, so that the weaker partner does not feel that s/he is imposing on the stronger partner. So in this example, the English chatting tends to be more free-flowing, interesting, stimulating, etc. than the more "language-lesson" nature of the Dutch exchange. So in a way, the native minority language learners may have an advantage in having interesting conversation in the major language, but have to endure the more elementary conversation in their own language. And minor language learners have a big advantage if their target language is another minor language, where the opportunity to have a balanced exchange is much better.
5 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Wed May 03, 2017 11:32 am

You might want to add a place for people to add what their "other" country is; we're a very multi-national forum here. :)
1 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”