Latin phrase/word for a tattoo

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
flabbergasted
White Belt

Latin phrase/word for a tattoo

Postby flabbergasted » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:39 pm

So, I have a colleague who wants to have a Latin word or expression tattooed on her hand, but she is not sure what could be the best option. The thing is she's very active, impetuous, always in a hurry, so the tattoo should be some kind of slogan for her not to be in a rush all the time, something like: "slow down" or "take it slow". For the time being she's considering "ad agio" which serves as the origin for the Italian "adagio", of course. Is it OK? Do you have any other suggestions?
0 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Re: Latin phrase/word for a tattoo

Postby tomgosse » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:11 pm

flabbergasted wrote:So, I have a colleague who wants to have a Latin word or expression tattooed on her hand, but she is not sure what could be the best option. The thing is she's very active, impetuous, always in a hurry, so the tattoo should be some kind of slogan for her not to be in a rush all the time, something like: "slow down" or "take it slow". For the time being she's considering "ad agio" which serves as the origin for the Italian "adagio", of course. Is it OK? Do you have any other suggestions?

Tempus fugit.
0 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

flabbergasted
White Belt

Postby flabbergasted » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:54 pm

tomgosse wrote:
flabbergasted wrote:So, I have a colleague who wants to have a Latin word or expression tattooed on her hand, but she is not sure what could be the best option. The thing is she's very active, impetuous, always in a hurry, so the tattoo should be some kind of slogan for her not to be in a rush all the time, something like: "slow down" or "take it slow". For the time being she's considering "ad agio" which serves as the origin for the Italian "adagio", of course. Is it OK? Do you have any other suggestions?

Tempus fugit.

Thanks for the idea, but I it won't be really appropriate as the phrase is "typically employed as an admonition against sloth and procrastination". The problem is she is too busy, too active, and needs to slow down.
1 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:01 pm

I think festina lente would be much better for her purpose.
0 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

flabbergasted
White Belt

Postby flabbergasted » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:00 pm

Xmmm wrote:

I think festina lente would be much better for her purpose.

Yes, this looks good enough to me. Thanks!
1 x

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Postby Tomás » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:51 pm

I would go with "Illegitimi non carborundum":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegitimi_non_carborundum

Or better yet, don't get a tattoo. They're unattractive and non-sexy.
5 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”