Spanish Verb Flashcard Creation

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
jsega
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (beginner)

Spanish Verb Flashcard Creation

Postby jsega » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:56 am

Is it better to use each conjugation of a verb in a sentence, or a flashcard with a whole table of simple present tense, imperfect past, etc., or something else?
0 x
: 8 / 163 Breaking the Spanish Barrier - Beginner:

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Re: Spanish Verb Flashcard Creation

Postby Tomás » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:25 pm

I think a different sentence for each variant is better. We need to be able recognize each conjugation as a separate word with its own meaning.
1 x

jsega
Orange Belt

Postby jsega » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:39 pm

Tomás wrote:I think a different sentence for each variant is better. We need to be able recognize each conjugation as a separate word with its own meaning.

Good point. It's more work but I was already leaning toward it being necessary.
0 x

jsega
Orange Belt

Postby jsega » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:52 pm

I actually just now read this old AJATT blog post in my email which seems very fitting: http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/bl ... d-is-flat/
0 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:47 pm

jsega wrote:Is it better to use each conjugation of a verb in a sentence, or a flashcard with a whole table of simple present tense, imperfect past, etc., or something else?

I've had very good luck with the Spanish Verb courses on Memrise. I've done present, preterit, preterit irregular, and have two more bookmarked.
1 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Postby Tomás » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:09 am

jsega wrote:I actually just now read this old AJATT blog post in my email which seems very fitting: http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/bl ... d-is-flat/

I resonate with his take on it. I do glance at a short grammar book now and then to see what the patterns are, but I have not tried to memorize them. I would rather just read a ton of books and let the patterns soak in. That may not be the fastest or most efficient approach, but it's the most enjoyable one for me.
2 x

AndyD
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate)

Postby AndyD » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:14 pm

For some time I used a tool called "Verbarator". It allows you to pick specific verbs or groups of verbs (e.g. ar, er, most used etc) and tenses, then play them like flashcards either individually or as part of phrase. There´s a lot of flexibility.

I found this tool fun to use an it really helped me get the tenses down and for me its the best tool I had - highly recomended.
0 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:35 pm

AndyD wrote:For some time I used a tool called "Verbarator". It allows you to pick specific verbs or groups of verbs (e.g. ar, er, most used etc) and tenses, then play them like flashcards either individually or as part of phrase. There´s a lot of flexibility.

I found this tool fun to use an it really helped me get the tenses down and for me its the best tool I had - highly recomended.

Where or how did you get it?
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

AndyD
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate)

Postby AndyD » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:18 pm

This was actually by the company that that made Learning Spanish Like Crazy (a product similar to Pimsleur - some reasons better, some reasons worse in my opinion) . However, I did some poking around and about and the closest I found was http://www.verbarrator.com/blog/wait/?hop=phanucb99

It appears there is a "new and improved" version coming out....
0 x

Tomás
Blue Belt

Postby Tomás » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:14 am

Conjuguemos web site is worth checking out in place of verberrator. It's free.
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”