Advice on choosing my next language

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Thunter
Yellow Belt
Languages: -

Re: Advice on choosing my next language

Postby Thunter » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:33 am

I would go for Spanish first, for you can learn it in no time. Later it's still possible to bite through a German course. In the meantime you could use Spanish in your everyday life.

Given the fact that Spanish and Portuguese have 85% words in common you don't have to spend much time. I memorized Assimil Portuguese in 6 month (30 minutes each day) after having learned Spanish and French.
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:32 pm

Sure, Spanish will be much easier at first. But I definitely wouldn't say you'll learn it in no time, I don't think it is a good attitude. I think many people underestimate Spanish. It is still a separate language, not a slightly different dialect of French. Yes, you can be watching tv series and reading your first book in a few weeks and that is absolutely awesome! Getting the basics is easy (especially compared to German). But speaking and writing it well, that is a different story. While it will definitely take much less time to get to high level Spanish than to high level in most languages, it will still take time (given your Portuguese and French background, I would guess a year or two to active C1). It is just something to consider in order to avoid disappointment and future burn out.

Both Spanish and German are great choices. Pick the one you like more. Both have tons of resources, tons of interesting culture, lots and lots of job opportunites, learner friendly natives, awesome destinations to visit.

My personal and totally biased opinion: If I were you, I would pick German, if you want to learn both in the end. Fight the German difficulties while keeping French there to keep your confidence high. And when you are tired and German is a bit more advanced, start Spanish and enjoy the relax :-)
4 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:13 pm

blaurebell wrote:Germans are much more rigid and rule following in all aspects of their lives. Spanish speaking cultures are mostly warmer, more open, more welcoming.
Contemporary literature in Germany has been stuck since WW2, nothing worth mentioning apart from W.G. Sebald who left the country. And this one is just as beautifully written in English, because Sebald actually lived in Britain and oversaw the translations. I do love German classics and stuff from the 1910-1933 + some exile literature, but it's often tough reading even for native speakers.

Your origin is showing :lol: :lol:

South of the Weißwurstgrenze is another world :lol:

Though I think we can agree to disagree about what's worth reading in German :D.

---

Seriously, to the question, go with what interests you more right now, and if you're up for both, you can always start German and go with a welcome relaxation into picking up Spanish (given your background) a bit further on.
1 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:13 pm

Systematiker wrote:South of the Weißwurstgrenze is another world :lol:

:lol: For sure! Half the time I don't even understand them folks down there :roll:
0 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”