Using a recorder

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Using a recorder

Postby nooj » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:08 am

Has anyone here used recording devices (like a tape recorder) to record their target language and integrated it into their language learning process? I would like to know your techniques and practices. What recording equipment do you use?

I was inspired by the field methods classes of linguistics courses. you would do this and need to transcribe the details later for pure analysis, but to me it seems highly useful also in order to capture conversations and later practise them. Especially for languages that are rarely written or resources are scarce, it could be a way to make your own resources by making your own little corpus.

I'm getting throwbacks to the audiovisual learning of the 60s-70s hah, but personally i quite like that, i dont find it passe, so long as it is mixed with the communicative approach!
1 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

Bakunin
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English, Thai, Swiss-German (adv.), Khmer, Isaan (studying); dormant: French, Polish

Re: Using a recorder

Postby Bakunin » Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:29 pm

nooj wrote:Has anyone here used recording devices (like a tape recorder) to record their target language and integrated it into their language learning process? I would like to know your techniques and practices. What recording equipment do you use?

I was inspired by the field methods classes of linguistics courses. you would do this and need to transcribe the details later for pure analysis, but to me it seems highly useful also in order to capture conversations and later practise them. Especially for languages that are rarely written or resources are scarce, it could be a way to make your own resources by making your own little corpus.

I'm getting throwbacks to the audiovisual learning of the 60s-70s hah, but personally i quite like that, i dont find it passe, so long as it is mixed with the communicative approach!

I've been hiring native speakers to do recordings for me in a number of languages (Thai, Khmer, Isaan) for a few years now. I've been mainly doing two types of recordings: illustration-based and story telling. Recently, I've bought a field recorder (Zoom H6) which I'm planning to use to record conversations in Isaan, a language for which there are almost no language learning materials. I usually write transcripts (always in cooperation with native speakers for quality control) for the recordings and put everything on my website. Especially if you're doing something for Tamazight, I encourage you to put it online for other learners. There's never enough material for learners of these small languages. If you're interested, have a look at my Isaan page to see what types of recordings I've been experimenting with.

Overall, I find producing my own materials a lot of fun. It has completely changed the way I approach language learning.
4 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:18 pm

Note also that Bakunin has a great log on this forum that I'm sure you would be interested in.
1 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:57 pm

I use a cheap handheld Sony voice recorder to record myself practicing my target languages. I sometimes listen to earlier recordings to measure my progress but not very frequently.
0 x

nooj
Brown Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:11 pm

Bakunin wrote:
nooj wrote:Has anyone here used recording devices (like a tape recorder) to record their target language and integrated it into their language learning process? I would like to know your techniques and practices. What recording equipment do you use?

I've been hiring native speakers to do recordings for me in a number of languages (Thai, Khmer, Isaan) for a few years now. I've been mainly doing two types of recordings: illustration-based and story telling. Recently, I've bought a field recorder (Zoom H6) which I'm planning to use to record conversations in Isaan, a language for which there are almost no language learning materials. I usually write transcripts (always in cooperation with native speakers for quality control) for the recordings and put everything on my website. Especially if you're doing something for Tamazight, I encourage you to put it online for other learners. There's never enough material for learners of these small languages. If you're interested, have a look at my Isaan page to see what types of recordings I've been experimenting with.

Overall, I find producing my own materials a lot of fun. It has completely changed the way I approach language learning.

Where was this when I was travelling through the NE of Thailand and Laos!? I learned a little bit of Standard Thai and Lao (using the Enfield grammar) while I was there for 2 months: I regret not having kept up with it after I left. Thank you for your work.

And for your advice. I didn't even think about sharing what I've learned, but that's a great idea, I will do that.
1 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”