Swedish: The pronunciation of the final r in the verb forms

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Swedish: The pronunciation of the final r in the verb forms

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:43 pm

I would never have guessed that you were chorusing Jonas Malmsjö, but I can now understand why some of your samples have the prosody they have. This time, the first and the last sample sound somewhat Finland-Swedish. There's something with the vowel quality in "garage" (#1) and the antepenultimate stress on "våldsamhet" (#4). This being said, he DOES have that kind of stress in that particular sentence, but that's his acting manners showing. He's a really good narrator (and a really good actor, like both of his parents), but has a certain way of speaking, especially when narrating (or acting in) crime/thriller/suspense.

Sample #2 and #2 still sound Slavic - but that's fine! If you can pull off this accent in your everyday Swedish, well done. But don't let me stop you if you want to work on your prosody.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Voytek
Green Belt
Languages: polski (N)
English(C2)
español(C2)
svenska (C1)
日本語 (A1)
ภาษาไทย (dabbling)

Re: Swedish: The pronunciation of the final r in the verb forms

Postby Voytek » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:19 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:I would never have guessed that you were chorusing Jonas Malmsjö, but I can now understand why some of your samples have the prosody they have. This time, the first and the last sample sound somewhat Finland-Swedish. There's something with the vowel quality in "garage" (#1) and the antepenultimate stress on "våldsamhet" (#4). This being said, he DOES have that kind of stress in that particular sentence, but that's his acting manners showing. He's a really good narrator (and a really good actor, like both of his parents), but has a certain way of speaking, especially when narrating (or acting in) crime/thriller/suspense.

Sample #2 and #2 still sound Slavic - but that's fine! If you can pull off this accent in your everyday Swedish, well done. But don't let me stop you if you want to work on your prosody.

Thank you for your assistance. I`m going to keep struggling with the prosody training till I`ve reached 100 hrs of listening. If you don`t mind, I`ll be putting some recordings here every time I`ve reached certain point in my training (possibly, every 20-25 hrs) so you could tell me a bit about my progress. :)
0 x
Exposure to Swedish-RL-building stage: 30 / 300
Exposure to Spanish-RL-final stage: 300 / 1500

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”