Any tips for casually learning a language?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
moo

Re: Any tips for casually learning a language?

Postby moo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:57 pm

Check out my new log guys :)
0 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:00 pm

Go to a bar, get yourself a glass of the finest champagne, and ask "voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir?"

Whatever ensues, is casually learning French.
2 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:58 pm

tarvos wrote:Go to a bar, get yourself a glass of the finest champagne, and ask "voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir?"

You can also have a car accident, and offer to settle for cash.

I did this one myself, and felt slightly smug, if poorer, for the rest of the day. :-)
0 x

moo

Postby moo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:13 pm

Go to a bar, get yourself a glass of the finest champagne, and ask "voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir?"

Thanks I'll keep that in mind if I ever learn French casually . haha I'm not doing that at the moment though
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:51 pm

I'm crap at casually learning languages. This is partly because I'm crap at seriously learning languages. However, right now I seem, somehow, to be casually learning* Finnish. Now, Finnish has the major advantage of being written with Latin script. There are also a few - very few - words that are the same in Swedish or similar to IE counterparts. Other than that, I have no clue what's going on.

Currently I'm skipping through Assimil - reading a lesson a day when I get the chance, usually on my commute to work. I'm listening to the lessons the next day as I get ready in the morning. At current I'm listening to all the lessons I've done previously. The first few will drop off as I get further into the book. I don't know how well this will work, but it's pretty casual.

EDIT: I'm also using an ANKI deck of the 100 'core' words, adding only three words per day.

*For a given value of 'learning'.
0 x

moo

Postby moo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:09 pm

I'm crap at casually learning languages. This is partly because I'm crap at seriously learning languages. However, right now I seem, somehow, to be casually learning* Finnish. Now, Finnish has the major advantage of being written with Latin script. There are also a few - very few - words that are the same in Swedish or similar to IE counterparts. Other than that, I have no clue what's going on.

Currently I'm skipping through Assimil - reading a lesson a day when I get the chance, usually on my commute to work. I'm listening to the lessons the next day as I get ready in the morning. At current I'm listening to all the lessons I've done previously. The first few will drop off as I get further into the book. I don't know how well this will work, but it's pretty casual.

Thank ya ! I guess I'll just have to get used to not having a clue what's going on when it comes to Japanese, it's just , I have such an addictive personality , that it translates to learning languages too. :) But I will try to keep it "casual" with Japanese. I know i will never live there or need the language and I'd like to live in France for a while to experience the culture and improve my French so I'll just have to keep the bigger picture in mind. :)
0 x

DangerDave2010
Orange Belt
Languages: gibberish (N)

Postby DangerDave2010 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:54 am

I've studing Arabic on my vacations, the rest of the year l just watch cartoons and tv serials evry once in a while... Im surprised how much l've improved,
0 x

moo

Postby moo » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:23 pm

ロータス wrote:
Casual way to learn:
Learn Hiragana and Katakana
Download Anki
Download the Core 6k Anki deck, the Tae Kim Anki deck and RTK Anki deck
Set New cards to like 10 for each deck
Do Anki
(If you find time, check out Japanesepod101 for listening practices)

Thank you, the thing is , I never really got used to Anki and don't really like it , i don't know why.

P.s I didn't mean to be rude with the other post, it can be difficult when you don't hear the tone of someone's voice. I think now my reply was a bit like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naleynXS7yo So apologies !
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”