Is there a big difference between different kinds of Spanish?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
jonasclick
Languages: German (N), Swiss-German (N), English (B2), Spanish (C1), French (B2), Latin (advanced)

Re: Is there a big difference between different kinds of Spanish?

Postby jonasclick » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:13 pm

Me personaly, I learned the basics in "standad spanish" and when I moved to Chile I switched the accent within just a few days. The tricky thing was the understanding of the regional dialect, but within 3 months I got that too. Anyway, stil the hardest thing was understanding (complex) spanish in general. From the 5th month on I understood everything that was necessary for everyday life. From the 10th month on, I was able to understand even difficult books and texts about complex issues.

A general rule is: "Si entiendes al Chileno entiendes a todos los demás." what basicly means that if you understand the Chilean people you can understand all the other spanish speaking people because the Chilean people speak (and pronounce) the worst (a fact that I totally agree with).

Greetings and good luck learning spanish. It's worth the efford!
jonasclick
1 x
Ask me any questions about German, Spanish, French and Latin. :)

LadyGrey1986
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N),
Has studied: English, French, German (I never took a test, no idea where I belong on the CEFR scale)
Studies: Arabic (Beginner)
Wishes to Study: Farsi/Persian

Re: Is there a big difference between different kinds of Spanish?

Postby LadyGrey1986 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:05 pm

I quote my Spanish textbook for beginners "La pronunción del Espaňol es un poco differente en Espaňa y Latinoamérica, entre los mexicanos y los argentinos, los chilenos y los cubanes, pero normalmente todos se entienden sin problemas."

I guess that settles it then.. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
1 x
Corrections welcome in any language :)

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”