French TV series like Friends with subs in French?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
moo

French TV series like Friends with subs in French?

Postby moo » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:01 pm

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about getting Friends on dvd in French but I'm guessing the French subs will not match the French dubbing so just wondering if anyone could recommend anything similar that has subs that match?

Thanks in advance!
4 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Re: French TV series like Friends with subs in French?

Postby tomgosse » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:59 pm

moo wrote:Hey guys,

I'm thinking about getting Friends on dvd in French but I'm guessing the French subs will not match the French dubbing so just wondering if anyone could recommend anything similar that has subs that match?

Thanks in advance!

While these are not the same quality as Friends, they have a certain cheesy charm about them: Extra French.
Here are the first seven episodes of Extra French in a slightly higher quality: Frenchy French.
0 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

dgc1970
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)

Postby dgc1970 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:17 pm

3 x

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Postby Stefan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:39 pm

There's a wiki page for French series with accurate subtitles but sadly it doesn't cover much. Maybe skim the forum thread over at the old HTLAL. emk and sillygoose1 might be able to give some recommendations.

The simple solution is to go for native content but I also find public service to be extremely helpful since their subtitles are often nearly identical. Sure, they might shorten something to make sure that you can keep up but it's paradise in comparison with DVDs that use subtitles for the original audio and then dub it into something completely different. I'm not familiar with the French language or market but did a quick search and found francetv pluzz with TV series such as Castle and Sherlock. Despite being dubbed, both seem to have matching subtitles. Sadly it's geo restricted so you might need to get around that unless you're in France.

It's far from ideal but I've come to the conclusion that it's better to be less picky and actually watch content on TV sites with matching subtitles than wasting time trying to find the favourite show.
4 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:30 pm

Stefan wrote:I'm not familiar with the French language or market but did a quick search and found francetv pluzz with TV series such as Castle and Sherlock. Despite being dubbed, both seem to have matching subtitles. Sadly it's geo restricted so you might need to get around that unless you're in France.

As a courtesy to its viewers, this site lists programs that can be seen outside of France. From the home page menu, click on "Info" then click on "Depuis l'étranger". The programs are mostly but not exclusively news.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:58 pm

These are Hélène et les garçons from the early 90s. I have seen 4 or 5 episodes. Not bad for language learning.
The show was a spin-off of Premiers Baisers, and in turn had three spin-offs of its own. https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A9l%C3%A8ne_et_les_Gar%C3%A7ons.
As the series progress and the actors get older and more experienced, the quality of their acting improves.
Counting all series, there are 100s of episodes. However, I found subtitles for only the first season of Hélène et les garçons.
There are DVDs on sale for Hélène et les garçons (3 seasons) and for Les Mystères de l'amour.
So many episodes mean a fair amount of bloopers (bêtisiers) as well.
My apologies to the OP for getting off topic.
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

tuckamore
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (intermediate), French (intermediate), Thai (beginner), Swahili (beginner)

Postby tuckamore » Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:30 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:

These are Hélène et les garçons from the early 90s. I have seen 4 or 5 episodes. Not bad for language learning.
The show was a spin-off of Premiers Baisers, and in turn had three spin-offs of its own. https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C3%A9l%C3%A8ne_et_les_Gar%C3%A7ons.
As the series progress and the actors get older and more experienced, the quality of their acting improves.
Counting all series, there are 100s of episodes. However, I found subtitles for only the first season of Hélène et les garçons.
There are DVDs on sale for Hélène et les garçons (3 seasons) and for Les Mystères de l'amour.
So many episodes mean a fair amount of bloopers (bêtisiers) as well.
My apologies to the OP for getting off topic.

I started watching Hélène et les garçons about a month ago and it is very much helping my listening. I watched the 10 or so episodes with accurate french subtitles on YouTube, and then I rewatched these same episodes without subs before moving on to other episodes that don't have french subs (or I cannot find any). My listening is very bad and the few episodes with subs really propelled me forward in being able to enjoy the subsequent shows. So far, the plot of each episode is quite predictable, so it is easy to follow even with rudimentary understanding. I'm on episode 27 and I've already seen great improvement in my comprehension. Of course, I wish I could find french subs for the remaining episodes, but it is not a bad compromise.
1 x
: 10000 / 10000 10000 Japanese pages
: 1510 / 10000 the next 10000 Japanese pages

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:28 pm

I subtitled Hélène for a friend of mine. There were only 11 episodes (the original idea was to make as many episodes as Extra French but I stalled before :lol: )and they have been deleted from YT for copyright infrigement at the beginning of this year. Nonetheless other people seem to have uploaded the episodes again.
If you're interested you can download the original transcripts and .srt files (episode 3 is lost) here.
8 x

tuckamore
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (intermediate), French (intermediate), Thai (beginner), Swahili (beginner)

Postby tuckamore » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:04 pm

Arnaud wrote:I subtitled Hélène for a friend of mine. There were only 11 episodes (the original idea was to make as many episodes as Extra French but I stalled before :lol: )and they have been deleted from YT for copyright infrigement at the beginning of this year. Nonetheless other people seem to have uploaded the episodes again.
If you're interested you can download the original transcripts and .srt files (episode 3 is lost) here.

Thank you, Arnaud! You efforts are truly appreciated. And, double thanks for sharing the .srt files with us here, too. I made plans to study these episodes using the pdfs. But, having the .srt files now opens up several more study options. (It seems I downloaded the pdfs from YouTube days before they were taken down.) I'm glad you chimed in here so that I could thank you directly.
1 x
: 10000 / 10000 10000 Japanese pages
: 1510 / 10000 the next 10000 Japanese pages

whitecastle
White Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), English (B2), French (B1~B2), German (A2~B1), Latin (Beginner), Italian (Soon), Ancient Greek (Soon)

Postby whitecastle » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:14 pm

you can watch kaamelott on youtube and the transcriptions you can get at hypnoseries
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”