How much language study do you do?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!

How much language study do you do on average per day?

The options:
No votes
<Less than 1 hour a day
22%
One hour per day
31%
2 hours per day
27%
3 hours per day
10%
4 hours per day
3%
5 hours per day
2%
>6 hours per day
5%

Total votes: 93

JohannaNYC
Yellow Belt
Languages: In order of fluency: English (L2), Spanish (L1),
Italian (Adv.), Croatian (Int.), French (Adv. Beg.),
Egyptian Arabic (Beg.), Greek (New Beg.), Russian (New Beg.)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15795

Re: How much language study do you do?

Postby JohannaNYC » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:49 pm

I voted for 3 hours, but depending on the day I study and read between 1.5 and 4.5 hours. That's not counting TV and music. I have time for more, but Arabic is just exhausting. I often have to lie down after just 30 mins of intense Arabic study.
0 x
Corrections welcomed!

dinosaur_alley
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)

Postby dinosaur_alley » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:03 pm

It varies throughout the week but probably averages out at slightly more than an hour a day. I'm hoping that when my Spanish is at a level that I can enjoy native materials it will be more interesting and I can bear to do more!
1 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:58 pm

Well last year it averaged out at over 3 hours per day. Half of that will have been listening (while commuting or walking or cycling), but as that seems to count, I included it.
1 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:59 am

If I have L2 radio in the background for, say, 8 hours a day that I may or may not pay attention to, how do I count it?
0 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:02 pm

For radio/podcasts/audiobooks:
Full attention - eight hours, "half" attention - four hours, no attention - nothing.

When I was keeping track of TV/movies in target languages, I divided the duration by two - and I still think that was an exaggerated amount. Perhaps a sitcom is that dialogue-intense, but a movie? No way.
3 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

whatiftheblog
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (C2?), Spanish (~B1)

Postby whatiftheblog » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:57 am

I try to do at least six hours daily, including talk TV/radio that I actually listen to (sometimes while performing mindless chores). Everything I watch is dialogue-intense by default, since it's all about what people, notably political personalities, are saying, or else it's a documentary of some kind with constant narration.

I don't know that I would necessarily classify it as language "study", since there really isn't very much left for me to formally study, except for grammar refreshers, which I do from time to time. It's more like language absorption, and I'm trying to even out the percentage of time I spend on each skill, though this still requires some effort in terms of convincing myself to turn off Youtube and go do other French things. To this end, I've started a Coursera class in French - it's an École Polytechnique class on probabilities, which requires me to take notes in French and actually think through the material itself, so it holds my interest for longer periods of time than a standard lecture-based class would.

Given that I'm doing this with a clear goal in mind and a deadline, I'd ideally like to push this up to at least 8 hours a day. I recognized that I need to get creative in order to find those extra hours to fill with French - for instance, I bought a Bluetooth shower speaker today so that I can start attentively listening to the news or to a podcast as soon as I'm up without significantly adjusting my morning schedule. We'll see how this goes starting tomorrow :)
2 x
Books completed: 5 / 20 5 / 20

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:41 pm

My prompt answer is usually 8 hours, but that only having weekdays in mind, so the weekly average is lower. I should discount lunch breaks but I'm actually listening to audiobooks during lunchbreaks so that counts as well. Also during commuting, which adds 45 min more to a 9-hour workday. There are interruptions as well, so I think it's safe to put it as 8 hours and a half each weekday, which makes a total of 42 hours and a half and thus allows me to keep my vote >6 at the poll :lol:

These 8+hours a day are divided unevenly (but not so) through my current 10 languages: Papiamento, Norwegian, Estonian, Russian, Mandarin, French, Georgian, German, Italian and Modern Greek. My sessions alternate intensive and extensive activities, so I do count it all as studying. It's not like I'm just sitting and relaxing, even though my attention does wander, especially when supposedly watching comedy TV shows in native languages without a defined plot.
0 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Pilikku
White Belt
Languages: Finnish Native
English B2/C1
Japanese B2
Swedish B1
Inari Sami A2
Russian A1
Czech A0/A1
Chinese beginner
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5342

Postby Pilikku » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:16 pm

Depends.
When I lived in a different country I learned the language 10 hours per day and it was harsh. My brain didn't have time to arrange the information. After I returned to my home country I took half an year break and let my head sort itself out. Now everything makes sense again and I am back to normal. It's about 1 hours per day, but not even every day. And sometimes I have these "I need to learn something new" -days and I will study all day. I like learning, but I don't want to learn languages every day.
2 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:20 pm

If we're not counting TV and reading/listening without any language aids, I don't study at all.
8 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:09 pm

Not enough.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”