What are B2s and Cs?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
morrik
Languages: Bengali (N), Russian (beginner)

What are B2s and Cs?

Postby morrik » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:10 am

Hi everyone, i am new here. I am trying to figure out some effective ways to start learning Russian language. But i am seeing these B2,C1,C2 stuffs. What do they mean? Are they like levels of how much you know about a language? Kind of feeling silly right now. :?
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: What are B2s and Cs?

Postby Iversen » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:16 am

Those codes come from the "Common European Framework of Reference for Languages" (CEFR), which has been published by the Council of Europe in order to bring some consistency into language assessment across the continent.
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:36 am

There are other scales available and you'll probably seem some other rankings used on this forum like 2+, etc. These come from the United States ILR scale. You'll possibly see, more rarely, something like NL/NM/NH from the ACTFL Proficiency Guidelines.

Don't feel silly asking, probably should put this type of thing on the FAQ, it comes up a lot.
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

morrik
Languages: Bengali (N), Russian (beginner)

Postby morrik » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:13 pm

O i see. Thank you guys for the information. I should probably look up for similar kinds of codes used around my area or research about the ones i am seeing.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”