Looking For Advanced Russian Language Word List

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
anonima
Languages: speak english. study russian

Looking For Advanced Russian Language Word List

Postby anonima » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:57 am

Hi. I was wondering whether someone knows where I could get a word list of advanced Russian vocabulary (preferably Russian word-with English definition, though fully Russian word/definition is good too). In the USA this would be the equivalent of "GRE High Frequency Words" or "Top 500 SAT words" - that is, not basic words such as "table," "laughter," "yellow" and so on but more advanced vocabulary. Does anything resembling this exist?
0 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Re: Looking For Advanced Russian Language Word List

Postby MamaPata » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:48 am

I know there is a good course on memrise for the top 10'000 words in Russian. It's not exactly what you're looking for, but if you ignored the first few levels, I think it could work. I don't personally use it because I prefer themed lists, but I know several (unrelated) people who do, which feels like a good sign.
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:32 pm

Your profile on old HTLAL says you're a native speaker :) Is it your secondary native language? What kind of vocabulary do you lack?

There's no direct equivalent to SAT, but just like in English, the fancy words are generally loan words. You can find some examples here and there should be more if you search for smth like список иностранных/заимствованных слов. Another important word is лексика, which is more neutral than lexis in English.

This site has nice lists too.

However, if the main issue is with words that you've learned through English during your education, it may be easier to just read about the relevant topics. You can find some textbooks online and of course there's wikipedia.

some materials for Russians learning English may also help. For example this site has SAT vocab with a Russian translation and here's one with TOEFL vocab. (both sites appear to be free but I've not tried downloading from them)
3 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

anonima
Languages: speak english. study russian

Postby anonima » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:56 am

Serpent wrote:Your profile on old HTLAL says you're a native speaker :) Is it your secondary native language? What kind of vocabulary do you lack?

I learned Russian first but its essentially my secondary native language. I lack the vocabulary equivalent to SAT or listening to a university lecture.

MamaPata wrote:I know there is a good course on memrise for the top 10'000 words in Russian. It's not exactly what you're looking for, but if you ignored the first few levels, I think it could work.

These are two are too simple for me. For instance the first link has the words "circus" and "energetic" in the last level list.

Serpent wrote:However, if the main issue is with words that you've learned through English during your education, it may be easier to just read about the relevant topics. You can find some textbooks online and of course there's wikipedia.

some materials for Russians learning English may also help. For example this site has SAT vocab with a Russian translation and here's one with TOEFL vocab. (both sites appear to be free but I've not tried downloading from them)

The two links are perfect, especially the TOEFL one as it has sentence examples. Do you know of a purely Russian textbook/book/site that deals with an something equivalent (to what tests like TOEFL test for) in terms of "advanced" language usage? Either way thank you for the links.
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:32 am

I suppose our equivalent would be ЕГЭ but honestly we just don't have this obsession with learning fancy words :D
The equivalent of TOEFL for non-natives is ТРКИ, Тест русского как иностранного.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”