Are there different editions of Victor Hugo's translation of Romeo and Juliette?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Are there different editions of Victor Hugo's translation of Romeo and Juliette?

Postby DaveBee » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:40 pm

I'm trying to 'read along' to the recent radio production of Victor Hugo's Romeo and Juliette. But the radio script doesn't seem to match the Wikisource text.

Are there different versions of this translation?

EDIT
I've also found a recording of a Jean Cocteau adaption.
Last edited by DaveBee on Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

AlexTG
Green Belt
Languages: Easy to Read: English(N), French, Spanish
Able to Read: German, Latin
Learning to Read: Japanese, Hindi/Urdu

Re: Are there different editions of Victor Hugo's translation of Romeo and Juliette?

Postby AlexTG » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:05 am

The translator is actually François-Victor Hugo, Victor Hugo's son. I've never seen anything about there being different versions. I suspect they altered it to make it work better for radio.
1 x

Speakeasy

Re: Are there different editions of Victor Hugo's translation of Romeo and Juliette?

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:02 am

A quick search of Amazon.FR reveals that there are numerous French translations of Romeo and Juliet Although more than one publisher has issued their own version by François-Victor Hugo, I would assume that they simply reproduced the original translation. Nonetheless, one of these versions is identified as being "texte abrégé" which lends support to AlexTG's supposition.

I searched Librivox and Loyal Books (formerly Books Should Be Free) for a copy of the text and audio of Roméo et Juillette but could not find any.

By the way, there is a French Manga version of this classic play available on Amazon.FR.
1 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:37 am

AlexTG wrote:The translator is actually François-Victor Hugo, Victor Hugo's son. I've never seen anything about there being different versions. I suspect they altered it to make it work better for radio.
The wording is different in places, identical in others. So they haven't just cut lines to hit a time slot, more like another draft.
0 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”