How to be a good Skype tutor / Free English resources!

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
drp9341
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: English (US)
C1/C2: Spanish, Italian
B2+: Portuguese
B2: French, Polish
A1: Russian, German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=5978

How to be a good Skype tutor / Free English resources!

Postby drp9341 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:35 pm

First off, if this is in the wrong section, feel free to move this thread! Also, if a thread of this nature is against the rules feel free to delete it!

So I'm now an English teacher on iTalki. (SKYPE lessons!)

Business is going well, but I'm curious as to what insights a community of veteran language learners has to offer!
My " Conversation | Pronunciation | Fluency " has been going as follows...

1. Students schedule a 30 minute trial lesson. They tell me their goals.
- During the 30 minute trial lesson I try to test the limits of their English without them necessarily being aware.
(Like so: I'll speak simply at first, then normally, then quickly, then use slang etc. and gauge how well they understand given their responses to what I'm saying. I keep note of all the grammatical errors they make on a google doc. I also keep a note of any perceived weaknesses.)

- I also correct them via Skype messenger if they make a mistake.

2. After the trial lesson I send them a custom pdf file that includes a bunch of resources for improving whatever aspect of English they wish to improve.
example: one student is a marketer, and is working with an Anglo company. He says listening comprehension is his main issue, but he also wants to be able to speak about marketing more effectively. (His English is quite good already.)
I sent him a page long PDF full of links to TED talks related to marketing, as well as some links to a page with lots of business English expressions.
I tell him how to use the TED talks as well as other English media geared for natives to improve his listening comprehension.

3. Then on, the lessons are about half regular conversation, (to give my students confidence and natural practice through having a natural conversation with a native English speaker.) During this regular conversation time I correct my students if they make errors (I'm careful not to over-correct, however.)
Then the other half is spent talking with them about the progress they feel they're making, any specific questions they might have. Also, based on what I observe and what they tell me I adjust my advice and the materials I send them accordingly.

Basically that's it.
What do you guys think I can be doing better?

Also!!!! Do you guys know any good free and online resources for students at the B1 level? And if you have any good links to good material at all, please let me know! Either through a private message or in your post!

Thanks everyone!
- Danny
0 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Re: How to be a good Skype tutor / Free English resources!

Postby DaveBee » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:53 am

drp9341 wrote:Also!!!! Do you guys know any good free and online resources for students at the B1 level? And if you have any good links to good material at all, please let me know! Either through a private message or in your post!

Thanks everyone!
- Danny
Librivox audio: an american lady with a very nice voice has recorded most of the Just William stories. Would they be B1?
1 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Re: How to be a good Skype tutor / Free English resources!

Postby leosmith » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:09 am

drp9341 wrote:What do you guys think I can be doing better?

I personally wouldn't enjoy this type of class, because I only use tutors for conversation and I want minimal corrections. That usually means you only correct me if you can't understand me, and even then it's more like asking me to clarify rather than correcting me. I believe your type of correction doesn't stick well for most people, or at least that's true in my case. My lessons are all about getting comfortable in the language. I learn grammar, read, listen and review vocabulary on my own.
0 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”