I need an exit strategy

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: I need an exit strategy

Postby Serpent » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:48 pm

I think about 70-80% of those who choose not to use anki or similar tools have tried them before :D the guesstimate doesn't include those who've never heard of anki or don't have access to a pc/gadget.

Giving up srs is a common topic really.
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

desitrader
Orange Belt
Languages: .
Native / bilingual: English, Bengali.
Fluent: Hindi.
Learning: German (B2), Italian (A2+), Japanese (A1-), Norwegian (A1-).

Postby desitrader » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:03 pm

I think I'm gonna start an organisation "SRS-addicts Anonymous" followed by the tagline "I did it... and you can too", with a photo of my ugly grinning face underneath.

You heard it here first folks.
2 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:57 pm

Serpent wrote:I think about 70-80% of those who choose not to use anki or similar tools have tried them before. ... Giving up srs is a common topic really.

I don't use it, nor have I ever tried it. It is possible to learn a language to a high level without it.
3 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:14 am

Oh I absolutely agree. Do you think the percentage I gave is too high?
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:35 pm

NoManches wrote:Unlike people who have never used SRS, I have developed a dependency on it.

Your dependency is not on SRS. It's on language studying. If you want to learn a language, you need to keep in touch with your language one way or another - SRS or reading or radio or whatnot. If you drop Anki for a year, you will forget your words; but if you drop reading or whatever other contact with the language, you will also forget your words. You don't have any more dependency on Anki than Iguanamon has on native materials.
7 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

NoManches
Blue Belt
Languages: English - (N)
Spanish - B2 +
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7942

Postby NoManches » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:30 pm

Thanks to everyone for your input! I did a quick Google search for things like "stop using anki" and came across some of the old threads on this topic posted on HTLAL and a few other languages learning forums and sites

One thing I noticed was that many of the people who wanted to ditch Anki were spending too much time with it and it was torturous for them.

I just opened up anki on my phone and I have 78 cards due (including 5 new cards). The estimated time to do this is 12 minutes.

Although I don't see myself using anki for the rest of my life, I can't justify dropping Anki right now. Compared to all of the tv, podcasts, and books I consume on a daily basis, Anki takes up such a small amount of my time. Furthermore, I use anki during yimes when I can't read a book or listen to a podcast. I might do 10 words now, 20 later, and a few more when I'm waiting for my girlfriend to get ready to go out for dinner 8-)

After much thought, I have realized that Anki works for me and I will keep using it, at least for the time being. I would like to say that I use it now for not so common words that I want to know but rarely encounter in books and articles. I have been adding a lot of idioms to anki and words that I want to use in conversation but don't know. In other words, I am using it selectively to add more encounters with words I want to use in conversation.

I will keep this thread in mind and if I ever have doubts about Anki in the future I will come back and reevaluate things based on what I have written here and the suggestions given to me

Finally, there was a time when Anki was THE main method I used to learn Spanish. I spent hours using anki, adding, editing, and modifying my cards. Now, it's something I use throughout the day as a tool and nothing else. I'm not addicted to it like I once was, and think I have a found a small place for it in my quest to reach a C1 and maybe one day a C2 level in Spanish

Thanks again for everyone's input!
2 x
DOUBLE Super Challenge
Spanish Movies
: 10795 / 18000

Spanish Books
: 4415 / 10000

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:42 pm

NoManches wrote:I just opened up anki on my phone and I have 78 cards due (including 5 new cards). The estimated time to do this is 12 minutes.

:lol: I have 1631 reviews due today.
3 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:14 pm

I know the feeling. If I miss a day or two, I have +1000 cards in Mandarin, then a couple of hundred cards in at least four other languages. It can be a torture machine, that's for sure.
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”