French In Action, as a learning device?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Re: French In Action, as a learning device?

Postby Carmody » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:49 am

Well, there is an episode where water is spilled on her red skirt. But I don't remember water on her blouse.

Marie-Laure is the real star and scene stealer. She is about 11 y.o. Look for her fights with Mireille; they are short but real.

Colette just sitting at the dinner table is the most beautiful young lady in the show. She is probably about 17 yo.

At no time in the show does Mireille show any real kindness or warmth to Robert. It appears that she really enjoys Hubert. She wants to be a movie star.

Madame Courtois is truly lovely in the classic sense. She can be bubbly or severe when necessary.

NB:
At chp. 30 they really ratchet up the speed.
By chp. 40 they are going full speed.
6 x

Elexi
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2), Latin (eternal beginner), Dutch (Aspires to find the time).

Postby Elexi » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:31 am

Of course, after French in Action there is always the Capretz/Abetti Jules et Jim cd-rom to do as a follow up......... :lol:
2 x

Elexi
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1), German (A2), Latin (eternal beginner), Dutch (Aspires to find the time).

Postby Elexi » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:36 am

As another aside - Virginie Castellani (née Contesse) who played Marie-Laure occasionally sends messages to the FIAFans discussion board - https://fiafans.org/2017/01/01/bonne-annee-2017/
2 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:49 pm

Elexi

Thanks so much!!!!! I had no idea she had a fan club. Now my life is complete. I thought I was the only one who liked her.
3 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:46 pm

So one of our highly esteemed Forum members is embarking on FIA to give it another go. To which I say fine, but I do want to come out of the closet and say a few things more bluntly than I have in the past. And to of course wish him well.

1-Use FIA for your own purposes in your own way.
For example I have now made it up to chp. 46 and will say honestly that while I have done videos, text bk, and wkbk I have not answered any of the questions in the txt bk. That bk is fine for the dialogue, vocab, and documents; but only that at least for me at this time.

We each have a limited amount of time and energy and of course life is short.

2-If parts give you serious problems, move on. Really I am not kidding.

Start to view FIA as another Assimil NFWE with its 1st and 2nd waves, and many, many more bedsides. Its scope is big and its facets are many. Just don't let it grind you down. Get through it the first time (which I haven't yet) then come back to it to focus on what you need from it.

Don't let it discourage you.

As Capretz, says you are not expected to get it all on the first around.
2 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:32 pm

Carmody wrote:So one of our highly esteemed Forum members is embarking on FIA to give it another go. To which I say fine, but I do want to come out of the closet and say a few things more bluntly than I have in the past. And to of course wish him well.

1-Use FIA for your own purposes in your own way.
For example I have now made it up to chp. 46 and will say honestly that while I have done videos, text bk, and wkbk I have not answered any of the questions in the txt bk. That bk is fine for the dialogue, vocab, and documents; but only that at least for me at this time.

We each have a limited amount of time and energy and of course life is short.

2-If parts give you serious problems, move on. Really I am not kidding.

Start to view FIA as another Assimil NFWE with its 1st and 2nd waves, and many, many more bedsides. Its scope is big and its facets are many. Just don't let it grind you down. Get through it the first time (which I haven't yet) then come back to it to focus on what you need from it.

Don't let it discourage you.

As Capretz, says you are not expected to get it all on the first around.

Are you talking about me? :lol:
are-you-talking-about-me.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:05 pm

Well talking about you and myself also. I have to keep reminding myself not to get discouraged and to keep on keeping on.
1 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:17 pm

Carmody wrote:Well talking about you and myself also. I have to keep reminding myself not to get discouraged and to keep on keeping on.

Keep on truckin' !
KeepOnTruckin.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:29 pm

Thanks Tom; great picture; love it! :lol:
1 x

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Postby Tomás » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:48 pm

I'm only ten episodes into FIA, and I only watch the videos. I can see that rewatching these will be very useful. I only get a fraction of the opening skit, but after the professor's analysis it all becomes much more transparent. I should probably start rewatching the opening skit after having watched the entire video once through.

I'm also listening to French without Toil in my car. I never read the course book. Their first time I started getting seriously lost somewhere after the thirtieth lesson. I am on my second pass through the course, in the forties, and still comprehending pretty well--better than the first time through. I think re-listening is paying off.
5 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”