VPN Recommendations for Germany/Europe perhaps

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
ShawnP
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (Learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3123

VPN Recommendations for Germany/Europe perhaps

Postby ShawnP » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:14 am

Good day,

I now live in Germany and need to get a VPN as I like Netflix/Language Reactor for language learning. I've never had a VPN before. For those living in Europe, especially Germany, what VPN's do you have and/or what would you recommend?

My coworker recommended Express VPN and said to stay away from Nord VPN. Another person said she has Hide.Me VPN.

I figured if any group of people would know about VPN's, it would be this group. Apologies if posting in an incorrect location.
2 x
German Goals starting 8 April 2024

: 056 / 200 500 German lessons
: 049 / 300 500 German Podcasts / YouTube videos
: 289 / 5000 5000 German Anki reps
: 000 / 500 500 hours German Movies / TV episodes

Cavesa
Black Belt - 5th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: VPN Recommendations for Germany/Europe perhaps

Postby Cavesa » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:45 am

A good thread, thanks, I am making the same decision now. Why did that coworker warn you against Nord VPN? Functionality? Price? Limitations?
0 x

ShawnP
Orange Belt

Postby ShawnP » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:50 am

Cavesa wrote:A good thread, thanks, I am making the same decision now. Why did that coworker warn you against Nord VPN? Functionality? Price? Limitations?

I really don't know. He did say he believed they spent more on advertising than anything else. Not sure if thats a valid response but he's been here 4 years so I'll take his word for it.
1 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:29 pm

NordVPN is a brand I feel I've never been able to trust, since I see their adverts on every corner of the Internet, so I've never used their product. I don't know if that's a fair judgement, though!

I've had ExpressVPN and CyberGhost in the past, and both of them worked great at first but after around 18 or 24 months they became less reliable especially with Netflix so I didn't renew my subscription. That was a couple of years ago though, and maybe things have changed since. I'm sure there's a constant battle between Netflix blocking VPNs and VPN companies trying to get around the blocking since Netflix access is an important part of their offering. There are plenty of articles online about "best VPNs for Netflix" but they're the usual affiliate link trash written by people (and probably AIs more recently) who likely haven't even tested them, so first-hand experiences would be useful!
3 x

ShawnP
Orange Belt

Postby ShawnP » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:49 pm

garyb wrote:NordVPN is a brand I feel I've never been able to trust, since I see their adverts on every corner of the Internet, so I've never used their product. I don't know if that's a fair judgement, though!

I've had ExpressVPN and CyberGhost in the past, and both of them worked great at first but after around 18 or 24 months they became less reliable especially with Netflix so I didn't renew my subscription. That was a couple of years ago though, and maybe things have changed since. I'm sure there's a constant battle between Netflix blocking VPNs and VPN companies trying to get around the blocking since Netflix access is an important part of their offering. There are plenty of articles online about "best VPNs for Netflix" but they're the usual affiliate link trash written by people (and probably AIs more recently) who likely haven't even tested them, so first-hand experiences would be useful!

garyb,
Exactly why I asked here instead of reading something someone wrote on the internet for money saying one is better than another. Most likely, they are being paid to promote a product.
2 x

Carl
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C2), Norwegian (C1), Danish (reading only), Spanish (B2), German (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=16220

Postby Carl » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:18 am

I tried NordVPN years ago and couldn't get the software to work reliably on my Mac, despite asking them repeatedly for help--and them responding promptly. (My day job has often included supporting users on software, so I'm reasonably savvy around computers.) I asked for my money back within the warranty period and they gave it to me, as I recall. (Or I cancelled a free trial before it converted to a paid service--same diff.) It's been around for years, and they spend plenty on ads, as others have noted, so I've got to think it does work on Mac most of the time. But that wasn't my experience.

I switched to ExpressVPN after that, and I haven't looked back. The software just worked, right away. They have many servers in the US and around the world. The only problem I have is when I move the laptop to a new network. It can take a while for it to make a new connection, and meanwhile it blocks all internet traffic. Plus, it won't respond immediately to attempts to cancel the connection or even quit the app. This is particularly an issue if the new network has a log-in page.

That said, I live in the US, so my experience in evading geofencing has been going to Europe, not to the US.
2 x
2024/2025 Super Challenge (half challenges)
Germanic books 2500 pages: 0 / 2500
Germanic films 4500 minutes: 69 / 4500
Spanish books 2500 pages: 0 / 2500
Spanish films 4500 minutes: 14 / 4500

dubendorf
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (beginner), Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=20113

Postby dubendorf » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:26 pm

I highly recommend Mullvad for VPN. As a company they seem quite privacy-oriented, insofar as a VPN company can be. It is €5/month flat rate, no subscription or commitment. I have had good success with watching shows in other countries using Mullvad. (Although, Norway's NRK started to block VPN servers and I had to try multiple servers to watch certain Norwegian shows while in the US). I haven't tried watching US Netflix from abroad, so I don't know if Netlix blocks any US servers, but they have many servers so it is worth trying a few. The software works on all platforms and is easy to use in my experience.
6 x
Pimsleur Norwegian Level 1: 30 / 30
The Mystery of Nils: 26 / 26
Pimsleur Norwegian Level 2: 13 / 30
Linguaphone Norsk Kurs: 4 / 50
Norsk grammatikk enkelt forklart: 25 / 163
Mysteriet om Nils: 0 / 17

Severine
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Latin (Adv.), Ancient Greek (Adv.) French (Adv.), Spanish (Int.), Russian (Int.), Italian (Rusty Int.), Mandarin (Beg.)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=20198

Postby Severine » Wed May 01, 2024 8:04 am

I've used Proton VPN for years and highly recommend it. Its security and privacy credentials are excellent, and they have many streaming-specific servers that have never failed to work for me. I have used it to watch region-locked content in a variety of countries: I can watch US content while not located in the US (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime streaming), Canadian content while not in Canada (Netflix, Crave, CBC, etc.), and online public broadcasting content in countries like the UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, etc. while located in North America.

I've used it on PC, Mac, and my Android phone. Obviously I have not tested it for all countries, all streaming services, etc., but it has reliably worked for everything I have ever wanted. It's also useful for buying things on regional versions of websites (e.g., Amazon.fr) that don't reliably work for out-of-country IPs.

There is a free-version, but I think the dedicated streaming servers might be for paid accounts only. I have had a paid account for years, so I honestly have no idea what the limitations of the free plan are. If you use it, I would recommend subbing.
6 x
French .... Read : 207 / 10000 Watch : 415 / 18000
Latin ....... Read : 0 / 5000 Watch : 175 / 9000
Russian ... Read : 0 / 2500 Watch : 137 / 4500
Mandarin . Read : 1 / 2500 Watch : 36 / 4500

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)
Italian (beg)

Postby leosmith » Mon May 06, 2024 6:11 am

I used a free one originally, then switched to Express out of paranoia. It worked really well. Then I switched to Nord for about 6 months to save money, and it didn't work well. I've been back with Express for a long time now, and it still works well, but occasionally Amazon Prime Video will block it. I think once or twice Netflix even blocked it. Never used it in Europe though. I might check out some of the recommendations on this thread. Software is constantly changing, so it's probably impossible to get one that will work perfectly forever.
2 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon May 06, 2024 5:57 pm

Severine wrote:
There is a free-version, but I think the dedicated streaming servers might be for paid accounts only. I have had a paid account for years, so I honestly have no idea what the limitations of the free plan are. If you use it, I would recommend subbing.

I'm in the USA, so take this with a grain of salt.
I use the free version of Proton. The servers open to me as a user of the free service are in the USA, the Netherlands, and Japan, usually in that order. That is, if no USA server is available, then it hops to Netherlands, etc. Tho only occasionally does it go to Japan. And when it hops out of the country, some Internet news and sports can be in Dutch or Japanese.
Just the other day I was linked to a server in Poland and a day after that Romania.
I'm more likely to get a USA server the earlier in the day I log on.
I find no degradation in service, but the vpn uses a chunk of bandwidth, which affects, I think, sometimes, the latency of a condo-mate also using the wi-fi.
IIRC, Nord owns Proton, and also, IIRC, Proton's base is Switzerland.
Bottom line, I am quite satisfied with ProtonVPN.
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”