Spanish past particle construction

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
mjfleck2000
White Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES (B2), DE (false beginner)

Spanish past particle construction

Postby mjfleck2000 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:53 pm

Hello fellow Spanish language learners....
I am having difficulty, at times, selecting the correct verb in the compound construction of ser + past participle and estar + past participle. The basic gramatical guide is that ser + pp indicates that an action was completed and estar + pp indicates the result of an action that was completed…. okey-dokey. That is not entirely clear.

I was reading a news article that said “ el hombre fue detenido”. Hmmm… I thought, why isn’t that “el hombre está detenido”. Let’s see… fue detenido is a passive construction regarding an occurrence in the past… okay, that makes sense… but , but, but… why not “ el hombre estuvo detenido”. Certainly they are not saying that the state of being detained is a inherent characteristic of the man. But, then again, my new sentence is not a passive construction.

I remember using the sentence “ la ventana está abierta” when I was in Panamá. I went to google translate and typed in “The window is open” -> “La ventana está abierta”. Okay.
I then typed in “The window is opened by John” -> La ventana está abierta por Juan”… yep, me gusta.

Now, if I change the verb to the past tense, I get a different construction. “The window WAS opened by John” -> “La ventana FUE abierta por Juan”.

As you can see, I am confused by the differences between the two constructions of ser + pp versus estar + pp. I have studied these constructions but I would appreciate some help here. I especially would like the point of view of other native English speakers who know the challenge I am having and have figured out some explanation that guides me to select the correct usage.
1 x
Mike in Idaho

aledda
White Belt
Languages: Español (N)
English (C2), Português (C2)
日本語 (intermediate)
Italiano (beginner), Deutsch (beginner), 한국어 (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=5561

Re: Spanish past particle construction

Postby aledda » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:57 pm

Not a native English speaker, but maybe I can help.

ser + past participle is used as the passive voice in English (something/someone is/was/will be/etc something by someone)

“ el hombre fue detenido”

In this case, the "someone" is not stated, but in context you know the "someone" is "the police"
The man was arrested (by the police)

I remember using the sentence “ la ventana está abierta” when I was in Panamá. I went to google translate and typed in “The window is open” -> “La ventana está abierta”. Okay.
I then typed in “The window is opened by John” -> La ventana está abierta por Juan”… yep, me gusta.

Now, if I change the verb to the past tense, I get a different construction. “The window WAS opened by John” -> “La ventana FUE abierta por Juan”.

Sometimes Google doesn't give an accurate translation, because if you are focusing in the action of opening the window I would say that “The window IS opened by John” in Spanish is "La ventana ES abierta por Juan/John", the same way “The window WAS opened by John” -> “La ventana FUE abierta por Juan”.

estar + past participle describes the result of an action
“The window is open” -> “La ventana está abierta”.

I short: when you use "ser" the focus is on the action, while "estar" focus on the result.
2 x

mjfleck2000
White Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES (B2), DE (false beginner)

Postby mjfleck2000 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:28 am

aledda wrote:Not a native English speaker, but maybe I can help.

Thank you for your reply. I was asking for a native English speaker only because I thought they might understand why this giving me a problem. I appreciate all assistance.

aledda wrote:I short: when you use "ser" the focus is on the action, while "estar" focus on the result.

I thought about what you wrote here and tried to express the same idea in my own words. So...
using ser: "es abierta" we are emphasizing the "event" that took place.
using estar: "está abierta" we are emphasizing that the window was closed but its condition was changed and it is now open.

If my understanding is correct ser focused on what happened and estar focused on what changed. Is this closer to the idea or "feeling" you have when using the two different verbs?
0 x
Mike in Idaho

aledda
White Belt
Languages: Español (N)
English (C2), Português (C2)
日本語 (intermediate)
Italiano (beginner), Deutsch (beginner), 한국어 (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=5561

Postby aledda » Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:43 am

If my understanding is correct ser focused on what happened and estar focused on what changed. Is this closer to the idea or "feeling" you have when using the two different verbs?

Yes, I don't know how the actual "grammar rule" explains it, but when we use those verbs the idea is similar to what you wrote.

---Edit---
I edited the post to add these examples:
"El hombre fue detenido (por la policía)." <- what happened (The police did something to him)
"El hombre está detenido." <- what changed (He was free before and now he is arrested).
"El hombre estuvo detenido." <- what changed (During a period of time in the past, the state of the man changed: he was arrested. Now he is probably free.)
------

As you said, natives speak their own language by "feeling" or by "what sounds right/nice". I didn't pay attention to things like this (the difference between ser and estar) until I started learning/studying English (my first foreign language), and I was totally confused: "why do you use only one verb to express two different things?". At that moment I started to pay attention to when and why we use things a certain way in Spanish. However, there are things that even I find confusing :lol:

Thank you for your reply. I was asking for a native English speaker only because I thought they might understand why this giving me a problem. I appreciate all assistance.

You're welcome. I said that because I know that someone learning Spanish could understand the struggle and maybe explain things from an English speaker perspective better than me.

Anyway, I hope it helped :D
2 x

AndyMeg
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Absolute Beginner)
Language Log: http://www.forum.language-learners.org/ ... =15&t=5354

Postby AndyMeg » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:45 pm

mjfleck2000 wrote:If my understanding is correct ser focused on what happened and estar focused on what changed. Is this closer to the idea or "feeling" you have when using the two different verbs?

Another spanish native speaker here, so I don't know the exact explanation and rule.

I think you are right, but I would word it like this:

"Ser" plus "another verb" --> focuses on the action.
"Estar" plus "another verb" --> focuses on the state.

When alone, I think they work like this:

"Ser" --> permanent or more durable state (it is usually very connected to the essence of something or someone). For example:
- Soy profesora (I'm a teacher)
- Soy María (I'm María)
- El agua es refrescante (Water "in general" is refreshing)

"Estar" --> a state that can change at any moment. For example:
- Eso está muy lejos (That's too far away--> but as I get closer, the state will change and it won't be that far way anymore)
- El agua está refrescante ("The water is refreshing": this particular water is refreshing now --> but, for example, if you boil it, then it won't be refreshing but hot).

And there's a case in which you can use both "ser" and "estar" in the same sentence. For example:

Él está siendo detenido (his current state is that he is, right now, being arrested/detained)
Last edited by AndyMeg on Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

smallwhite
Blue Belt
Languages: Cantonese (n) > Mandarin > English > Spanish > French (C1) > Italian > Dutch.
Studying German > Swedish.
·

Postby smallwhite » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:22 pm

ser + pp
= passive voice
The window is opened (by someone)
La ventana es abierta (por alguien)
synonymous with Someone opened the window
another way of saying Someone opened the window
Damn, someone opened my window again, it is opened again; why do people keep opening MY window?

estar + pp
= a description just like The window is beautiful
The window is beautiful (so beautiful I want to buy it)
The window is open (open and therefore too windy in the room)
synonymous with There is a hole in the wall (the open window)
The shop is open (open and you can get your milk now)
synonymous with It is currently the shop's business hours

Beer is drunk (passive)
He is drunk (descriptive)

The burglar es detenido =synon= Someone arrested the burglar
The burglar está detenido =synon= The burglar is sitting in jail
3 x
072 more days of German
107 more days of Swedish - getting there!

Cainntear
Blue Belt
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:46 pm

mjfleck2000 wrote:Hello fellow Spanish language learners....
I am having difficulty, at times, selecting the correct verb in the compound construction of ser + past participle and estar + past participle. The basic gramatical guide is that ser + pp indicates that an action was completed and estar + pp indicates the result of an action that was completed…. okey-dokey. That is not entirely clear.

Technical descriptions are rarely clear.

You're one step away from understanding, and it's all already been said in the thread, but to summarise:

Let's start by going back to English, with it's lack of ser/estar destinction. "They were married" can mean one of two things depending on the context.

"They were married in the church of St Luke on the 4th of September 1954" -- this is a passive construction saying that "the priest married them to each other" (or "they married each other" depending on how you use the verb "marry")

"They were married for twenty years" -- this isn't a passive construction, because it's not describing the act of saying the vows, exchanging rings, signing the register etc. Note that you can't say "The priest married them for twenty years" because that just isn't what it means.

Bringing it down to the core:
A passive construction is about an action (in this case "marrying")
The other construction is about a state.

As smallwhite points out, a sentence like "they are married" is the same structure as:
smallwhite wrote:The window is beautiful

That is to say that we're using the past participle as an adjective, just like any other adjective.

Consider for example "how are you?"
You could answer "I'm good," "I'm alright," "I'm still sore" or even "I'm tired". Nobody's going to have a problem seeing "tired" as a plain old adjective here, but most people will also readily recognise that the adjective "tired" derives from the verb "tire", even if they can't express that in words.

There's practically no difference between how this works in Spanish and in English.
(Which is one of the reasons I say translation isn't a bad thing at all.)
1 x
A year of Tatoeba recordings: 40 / 365 One donated recording every day in 2017.

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”