ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Re: Feature request/discussion: multi-lingual posts

Postby arthaey » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:48 pm

astromule wrote:I don't know if I understood correctly, but are we going to have a lang-8 option for corrections? That would be great!

I'm also interested in making a lang-8–ish option here, but that's a separate task from this proposal, which is merely supporting non-English outside of the Multilingual Room without actually stopping English from being the lingua franca. :)
3 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

sctroyenne
Orange Belt
Location: Montreal, QC (moved from the SF Bay Area living my dream!)
Languages: French (C2), Irish (beg-intermediate), Spanish (intermediate but mostly passive)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=767

Postby sctroyenne » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:55 pm

The thing that would make a corrections feature difficult to implement would be how to handle more than one set of corrections. Maybe some kind of corrections indicator with a drop down list of different correcters with their corrections layered over the text?

And speaking of corrections I'm trying to think how I would post in my L2s here. Would I write, proofread a bit and post directly or would I submit my writing to Lang-8 or iTalki first to get a cleaned up version to post here. It seems a bit "dishonest" to pass off my writing as better than it really is (not to mention it's a much slower process) but at the same time I feel a responsibility to post the best writing I can so as to not have a language class or Meetup group effect where we're all learners who just reinforce each others' errors. Maybe indicate at the bottom that when my post has been proofread in advance?
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:11 pm

sctroyenne wrote:The thing that would make a corrections feature difficult to implement would be how to handle more than one set of corrections. Maybe some kind of corrections indicator with a drop down list of different correcters with their corrections layered over the text?

Or maybe each persons corrections in a different colour? And you can click on a colour in sidebar to toggle a persons corrections on and off? That would allow you to compare and contrast the corrections, and show one or more at the same time.
0 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)

Postby arthaey » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:33 pm

O modful powers that be, can the discussions about lang-8–esque features be split into a new thread? :)
0 x

AlexTG
Green Belt
Languages: Easy to Read: English(N), French, Spanish
Able to Read: German, Latin
Learning to Read: Japanese, Hindi/Urdu

Postby AlexTG » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:43 am

It's a good idea, but I don't think current-day machine translators are up to the challenge, except, maybe, between Romance/Germanic languages and English (and even then you sometimes get a sentence whose meaning is completely inverted, which would derail discussions). Japanese to English machine translations are usually unintelligible.
0 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
EN (native);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)

Postby arthaey » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:01 am

AlexTG wrote:It's a good idea, but I don't think current-day machine translators are up to the challenge, except, maybe, between Romance/Germanic languages and English (and even then you sometimes get a sentence whose meaning is completely inverted, which would derail discussions). Japanese to English machine translations are usually unintelligible.

Personally, I'd be more like to manually provide my own translation of what I meant to say, in any case. And even with the somewhat-amusingly-wrong machine translation, I still think it could be a pretty useful addition to the forums.

What if we did a trial run in one thread, say, to see how it goes, iron out the (inevitable) kinks, iterate on it, and see if it works out in practice? (Pending that I actually implement this forum extension first, of course! ;))
1 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:04 am

deleted
Last edited by Arnaud on Tue Sep 13, 2016 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
EN (native);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)

Postby arthaey » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:02 pm

Something that would be interesting with a multi-lingual extension would be crowdsourcing translating any forum post into any language. The technical details of permissions for editing someone else's post, but only for adding translations, and also the social aspects of allowing/moderating this, could be quite tricky... But in my head, it's a beautiful future... ;)

That said, while the future of ntrHTLAL is still undecided, I'm going to hold off doing any private work on such a forum extension. (In the meanwhile, I'm hacking on Anki instead. :))
0 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:26 pm

sctroyenne wrote:The thing that would make a corrections feature difficult to implement would be how to handle more than one set of corrections. Maybe some kind of corrections indicator with a drop down list of different correcters with their corrections layered over the text?

And speaking of corrections I'm trying to think how I would post in my L2s here. Would I write, proofread a bit and post directly or would I submit my writing to Lang-8 or iTalki first to get a cleaned up version to post here. It seems a bit "dishonest" to pass off my writing as better than it really is (not to mention it's a much slower process) but at the same time I feel a responsibility to post the best writing I can so as to not have a language class or Meetup group effect where we're all learners who just reinforce each others' errors. Maybe indicate at the bottom that when my post has been proofread in advance?

At another thread (Spanish forum) I suggested that when writing in multilingual environments, native speakers should have a different mark - it could be as simple as a formatting hint, such as 'italic'. Since there are usually more learners than native speakers, it's easier to just mark the natives' posts.
1 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:30 pm

By the way, there's one tool I can offer to any of the programmers here who are thinking about the possibilities: I have a high-performance wrapper around Google's cld2 ("compact language detector") that I can make available as a free web service. So if your design involves automatically detecting the language of a post, I can provide an API which does that, and which doesn't require paying anybody money.

(For the ultra-technical members of the audience, it's a Rust-based web service that I can stick inside a docker container on a server, and safely ignore for a few years at a time.)
0 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”