Can't access forum from Chrome

Discuss technical problems and features here
galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Can't access forum from Chrome

Postby galaxyrocker » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:07 pm

So, i can't access the forum from Chrome. This occurs on both my home computers (one running Arch, the other Windows 10) as well as my phone. I can, however, access it from the stock phone browser and will test Firefox when I get home. Is there anything that can be done about this?
0 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Re: Can't access forum from Chrome

Postby emk » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:13 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:So, i can't access the forum from Chrome. This occurs on both my home computers (one running Arch, the other Windows 10) as well as my phone. I can, however, access it from the stock phone browser and will test Firefox when I get home. Is there anything that can be done about this?

Hmm, that's really weird! I can access the forum just fine from Chrome on my laptop and mobile Chrome on my phone.

Have you tried quitting and restarting Chrome to make sure your DNS cache is cleared? Chrome has its own internal DNS cache that will sometimes ignore TTL values until you restart it.

Other than that, I dont know. Does anybody else see this problem?
0 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:21 pm

emk wrote: Does anybody else see this problem?
No, Chrome is working well for me too.
This morning I had to type the IP in the adress bar, the domain name was not working even after a reboot, but this evening all is ok.
0 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:25 pm

It's also working fine for me other using Chrome on my phone and on my laptop. I did have a small hiccup earlier this mkrning, but it resolved itself.
0 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:09 pm

It's working fine for me on Chrome, but I actually had to restart my mac to make the DNS issues disappear. Could have probably sorted it without the restart, but didn't want to mess about with command line stuff first thing in the morning. Early morning command line rarely ends well for me ;)
0 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:10 pm

Foxpro 53.0 (32-bit) on 64-bit Windows 10 connects to LLORG without a problem.

On the same machine, Chrome and Opera get hijacked to https://www.yourcareevery!!!!!!!!!!!where.com/. I put in the exclamation points in case anyone clicks accidentally on this link. It is almost certainly a bad neighborhood.

On my iPod iOs version 10.2.1, the Safari browser is also hijacked to the site just given above.

To the best of my memory, I have never used Safari or the iPod to access LLORG. I doubt I ever used Chrome, either, but I won't swear to it.

All the browsers do connect correctly to other sites.

Edit to add: Firefox with Linux Mint 18.1 also gets hijacked to the site given above.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:56 pm

MorkTheFiddle wrote:Foxpro 53.0 (32-bit) on 64-bit Windows 10 connects to LLORG without a problem.

On the same machine, Chrome and Opera get hijacked to https://www.yourcareevery!!!!!!!!!!!where.com/. I put in the exclamation points in case anyone clicks accidentally on this link. It is almost certainly a bad neighborhood.

On my iPod iOs version 10.2.1, the Safari browser is also hijacked to the site just given above.

Hmm, is it possible that your DNS was still pointing at the old, hacked site from last week, or something strange like that? I swear, our DNS cache timeouts are set to only 5 minutes, and I'm still seeing cases where people are getting the old DNS data several days after the fact. (This is not new. There are a lot of ISPs with broken DNS servers.)

I looked at all the source code for the new site, and there's no obvious reference to the site you mention. We rebuilt the site from known-clean source code, and we didn't take any code from the hacked machine at all. The new machine has all OS security patches applied daily, and I can literally destroy the server, replace it with a fresh one, and have the site back up in under 5 minutes. This doesn't mean that nobody compromised the new server in the last 24 hours, but it's probably unlikely.

One other possibility is that your ISP (or somebody else in charge of your Internet connection) is injecting advertising into the sites you browse. And some advertising networks will serve up ads that redirect you away from the site you're browsing. This is an evil possibility, but it actually happens on occasion. The only solution for it is for us to use HTTPS and encrypt this website, which is on our TODO list.

Can anybody else confirm what MorkTheFiddle is seeing? If we can figure who's infected, it might help narrow down what's causing it.
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:48 pm

emk wrote:
MorkTheFiddle wrote:Foxpro 53.0 (32-bit) on 64-bit Windows 10 connects to LLORG without a problem.

Hmm, is it possible that your DNS was still pointing at the old, hacked site from last week, or something strange like that? I swear, our DNS cache timeouts are set to only 5 minutes, and I'm still seeing cases where people are getting the old DNS data several days after the fact. (This is not new. There are a lot of ISPs with broken DNS servers.)

I looked at all the source code for the new site, and there's no obvious reference to the site you mention. We rebuilt the site from known-clean source code, and we didn't take any code from the hacked machine at all. The new machine has all OS security patches applied daily, and I can literally destroy the server, replace it with a fresh one, and have the site back up in under 5 minutes. This doesn't mean that nobody compromised the new server in the last 24 hours, but it's probably unlikely.

One other possibility is that your ISP (or somebody else in charge of your Internet connection) is injecting advertising into the sites you browse. And some advertising networks will serve up ads that redirect you away from the site you're browsing. This is an evil possibility, but it actually happens on occasion. The only solution for it is for us to use HTTPS and encrypt this website, which is on our TODO list.

Can anybody else confirm what MorkTheFiddle is seeing? If we can figure who's infected, it might help narrow down what's causing it.

This may help some. I received an email from noreply@xgipublishing.com advising me of a reply in LLORG and a link to the reply. Clicking on that link brought me straight to LLORG.

More investigation on my end is necessary, I think. I'm beginning to suspect I've got a virus. I'm going to sign off until I work it out.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

t123
White Belt

Postby t123 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:13 pm

Try running a traceroute and paste the results here.

• In Win 10, type in cmd, click the match for Command Prompt window.
  • Alternatively, push Win+R and type cmd in the prompt to run.
  • Type tracert forum.language-learners.org
  • Copy and paste the results, it'll tell us how your PC is trying to connect.

I've had issues with Chrome caching DNS entries, but it usually only lasts an hour or so. You can also try flush your DNS cache, type ipconfig /flushdns in the command window.

And finally, check your hosts file. Possibly at some point you pointed it to an IP when the forum was launched? If so, remove the entry.

Edit: The tracert result will tell everyone what your IP address is, which you probably don't want to do. You can google "What is my IP" and replace your IP in the results with 127.0.0.1
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:21 pm

If you are on windows, go to a command prompt and type:

Code: Select all

nslookup forum.language-learners.org

then type

Code: Select all

nslookup forum.language-learners.org 8.8.8.8

they should match. The first command checks the DNS server your machine is set to, and the second checks the google DNS server.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”