And we're back again, better than ever!

Discuss technical problems and features here
PunkJesus
White Belt
Languages: US English (N), German (A2)

Re: And we're back again, better than ever!

Postby PunkJesus » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:51 pm

We won't have to worry about it throwing "too many connections" any more, eh?
1 x
: 17 / 76 Nicos Weg B1
: 96 / 301 Glossika German Fluency
: 2 / 100 Assimil German (1989)
: 2 / 25 PMP Complete German Grammar

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:00 pm

I went through all pages of my log, and pictures with problems were strewn here and there over over it, not just in the newest section. The damage was also rather peculiar - it looks as if the pictures are rendered in several layers, and the rendering of the last layer -which accounted for one base colour - stopped on its way down in some images. One exemple, which I must have overlooked, can be seen here - at least until I replace that one too. But apart from this one picture I have reuploaded all the problem images so I can't test whether simple reloading of a page would help now. I can however say that it didn't help five hours ago, while I was still replacing pictures.

So I have solved the problem with my own log, but there is bound to be damaged pictures in other threads, and I doubt that they can be replaced as easily..
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:08 am

Iversen wrote:So I have solved the problem with my own log, but there is bound to be damaged pictures in other threads, and I doubt that they can be replaced as easily..

It would seem that the images in the early part of my log are gone. For example here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859#p2823

Unless this is a common problem for the site, don't waste effort on my account. I can live with the impermanence of things.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:43 am

zenmonkey wrote:
Iversen wrote:So I have solved the problem with my own log, but there is bound to be damaged pictures in other threads, and I doubt that they can be replaced as easily..

It would seem that the images in the early part of my log are gone. For example here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859#p2823

Unless this is a common problem for the site, don't waste effort on my account. I can live with the impermanence of things.

I am really sad about the image loss. :-( rdearman has thoroughly checked the old server and verified that he has given me all the images he had. So we're not currently sure what's going on here. It might be possible to recover images from the Wayback Machine at the Internet Archive in some cases (and it would be interesting to know if the images had disappeared sometime before the migration).
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:01 am

rdearman wrote:Well it has been an interesting week, and I just wanted to say publicly a huge thank you to emk who did all the heavy lifting to get this site back up and running on a very whizzy system, with an amazing technical backend which makes updates and backups a breeze. If you're not a techno-nerd like me, then you probably don't really appreciate the huge effort emk put in getting this site using the latest technology and one of the slickest technical setups I have ever seen in my life. This community website now has a better technical setup than I've seen for most public companies, and emk has given all his knowledge and experience for free in order to help us grow and prosper. I won't list all of the stuff which has been done, but just to give you a flavour, we now have:

1. Periodic online backups of the database, and upgraded database tables to the latest standard.
  2. Isolated services running in docker containers which help performance, upgrades, and security.
  3. A slick automated upgrade system which pulls the latest source code at the push of a button.
  4. Migration from a problematic blogging system to a nice stable, secure html only blog.

I am in complete awe at his technical abilities, and if you ever need to hire a programmer, you should check out his website Kidd Software. He is too modest to tell you how truly bloody amazing he is, so I thought I'd tell you. He'll tell you I helped, but I was just the guy handing the scalpels to the surgeon.

:) :) :)

And for the record it should be stated that emk did previously offer help with the old forum. Unfortunately the administrator never knew how lucky he was and how things could've been very different if he had been around to accept the offer.
10 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Elsa Maria
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Intermediate Danish.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6009

Postby Elsa Maria » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:39 pm

Many thanks for all the hard work that went into recovering and updating the site!

I am finding that I can no longer access the site through Google search using either Safari or Chrome. Not sure if anyone else is having this problem. Does the new site not have an https, and that is yielding a broken link?
2 x
Corrections are always welcome.

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:42 pm

Maybe there's some info for you here:
Can't access the forum from Chrome
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:16 pm

It is definitely a https problem - Google's links contain that s, but if you remove it from the failed lookup page then the relevant page turns up. The question is when (or whether) the search machines will rediscover the site by themselves and return us to their pages with updated links.
4 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:20 pm

Iversen wrote:It is definitely a https problem - Google's links contain that s, but if you remove it from the failed lookup page then the relevant page turns up. The question is when (or whether) the search machines will rediscover the site by themselves and return us to their pages with updated links.

Wait, did we actually have an HTTPS cert before? And I've been accessing the forum insecurely all this time? Yikes!

OK, well, fixing this was at the top of my list anyway. We should get this sorted out by this weekend if I can find time to set up LetsEncrypt, which is free, and which auto-renews certs so we won't have to.
5 x

mcthulhu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native); strong reading skills - Russian, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Serbo-Croatian, Macedonian, Bulgarian, Slovene, Farsi; fair reading skills - Polish, Czech, Dutch, Esperanto, Portuguese; beginner/rusty - Swedish, Norwegian, Danish

Postby mcthulhu » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:24 pm

Congratulations, and thank you.
1 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”