And we're back again, better than ever!

Discuss technical problems and features here
Samer
White Belt
Languages: Arabic (N), English (C1-C2), Japanese (beginner)

Re: And we're back again, better than ever!

Postby Samer » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:27 pm

Thanks a lot for this amazing work getting the forum to a tip-top shape. This forum is truly a joy to be in with such capable admins and friendly community. I only wish all forums I love had the same gift.

A small request: would it be possible to add a favicon? My browser tabs look kinda weird without it ^^"
2 x
Corrections welcome!

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:13 pm

emk wrote:
Iversen wrote:It is definitely a https problem - Google's links contain that s, but if you remove it from the failed lookup page then the relevant page turns up. The question is when (or whether) the search machines will rediscover the site by themselves and return us to their pages with updated links.

Wait, did we actually have an HTTPS cert before? And I've been accessing the forum insecurely all this time? Yikes!

OK, well, fixing this was at the top of my list anyway. We should get this sorted out by this weekend if I can find time to set up LetsEncrypt, which is free, and which auto-renews certs so we won't have to.

yeah, we did. That ended up being my issue: Google had recorded the site as HTTPS and so it wouldn't work until I deleted that suggestion and made it go to HTTP. Feel kinda like a noob for not realizing that lol
3 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:26 am

As far as I remember a favicon is just an image file with the name favicon.ico in the root register of the server where you have placed your site. But hey, I see a little blue language student in my favorites so the problem has apparently already been fixed. As for the pictures they were OK until the move, but I have a suspicion that there is an issue with file lengths - some of my damaged files were slightly bigger in the backup version I had on my old computer. However we can't expect to find backup files for all the images - and we'll probably survive even with a few lost or damaged images in old messages.

The positive thing is that the setup now has become more stable and logical.
1 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:34 am

We had a favicon before but there's none now. I've already mentioned that I'd like to have one again.
@Iversen yes it shows up in the bookmarks, but also in each tab you have open. I like being able to look at 10 tabs and tell easily that they're all HTLAL threads :D
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Mon May 01, 2017 11:00 am

I would also like to add my thanks for all the hard work you two have put in keeping our forum alive and running smoothly.

Edit: could we have a brief status report on the other patient (the SC bot and site)? Thank you. :)
2 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon May 01, 2017 11:12 am

jeffers wrote:I would also like to add my thanks for all the hard work you two have put in keeping our forum alive and running smoothly.

Edit: could we have a brief status report on the other patient (the SC bot and site)? Thank you. :)

The SC bot has been transferred to a docker install, but you can't see it until we figure out how to implement a proxy service. I have turned off the automatic gathering of tweets because it would feed into the wrong database. So we'll run it manually the first time so it can suck up all the tweets, then turn it all back on. So we are probably a week away.

We also need to get an email service up and running to send out forgotten password resets, etc. Also for email notifications. And the mailing list services need repair too...
8 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Mon May 01, 2017 1:37 pm

rdearman wrote:
jeffers wrote:Edit: could we have a brief status report on the other patient (the SC bot and site)? Thank you. :)

The SC bot has been transferred to a docker install, but you can't see it until we figure out how to implement a proxy service. I have turned off the automatic gathering of tweets because it would feed into the wrong database. So we'll run it manually the first time so it can suck up all the tweets, then turn it all back on. So we are probably a week away.

I'm working on the reverse proxy this week, during my evenings. See this GitHub issue for the options. See also this issue about getting HTTPS support back, which is related. Basically, I'm putting in extra work now to avoid paying $20/month for the next 5 years.
9 x

Luso
Yellow Belt
Languages: Portuguese (N), English (C2), French (C2), Italian (C2), Spanish (advanced), German (used to be advanced), Arabic (beginner to intermediate), Sanskrit (studying)

Postby Luso » Mon May 01, 2017 4:01 pm

Former IT consultant here (1990s).

Details (languages, protocols, etc.) aside, I have an idea of the scope of what you're doing.

Thank you for your effort.
7 x
SC English books: 7790 / 15000
SC English films: 25814 / 27000

Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Postby Tristano » Sun May 07, 2017 2:56 pm

Java software engineer here. Thanks emk for your impressive work and competence.
3 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Tue May 09, 2017 8:12 am

1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”