THE FORUM HAS BEEN HACKED (AND FIXED, AND MOVED TO A NEW SERVER) - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

Discuss technical problems and features here
alexkelbo
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1), Spanish, Mandarin

Re: We're back online!

Postby alexkelbo » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:06 pm

emk wrote:On the downside, the new setup costs a bit more—I don't have exact numbers yet, but I'd guess between US$35 and $50/month. If folks want to chip in, we'll figure out the details of that later. We're happy covering the costs for now.

Maybe Patreon is a simple and easy way for people to help out? I have never setup a project there, but it seems like it's a matter of minutes.
4 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: THE FORUM HAS BEEN HACKED (AND FIXED, AND MOVED TO A NEW SERVER) - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

Postby Ani » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:46 pm

zenmonkeyII wrote:Thanks again for this work and the overall effort to keep this place running. Not only did you guys fix the issues but did it very quickly! A beer for each!

I think the number of beers deserved for this is well above a safe and healthy limit. We'll have to expand to steak dinners and baked goods.

Thank you guys so much for all your hard work. This forum means a ton to me and I know both your daily work and this latest fix are no small effort.
4 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: THE FORUM HAS BEEN HACKED (AND FIXED, AND MOVED TO A NEW SERVER) - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:40 pm

I got the emergency call at 2 in the morning often enough myself. I don't know if this call came at 2AM, but whenever it came, you all came through like champs with the fixes. Thanks.
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:41 pm

tomgosse wrote:And we are not left wandering blindly as we were at the old place. :lol:
We have no idea how many times our passwords were compromised on the old forum... and we couldn't even change them under "normal" conditions :o

During the downtime you can check wikia and fb.... and the old forum :lol:
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Komma
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N); learning actively: Japanese (beginner); learning passively: English (probably C1/2), French (false beginner); on halt: Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... =15&t=1067

Postby Komma » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:03 am

Thank you so much for your commitment!

It's great to see the forum back so fast.
1 x
: 38 / 113 Assimil French - passive
: 5 / 40 Language Transfer
: 20 / 81 Le petit Prince
: 0 / 52 Grammaire progressive - intermédiaire
: 0 / 28 Vocabulaire progressf - débutant

Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Postby Doitsujin » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:16 pm

@rdearman: This may be a stupid question: I also tried to connect via https://forum.language-learners.org/, but didn't get a connection.
Am I right in assuming that the forum software doesn't support TLS/SSL?
0 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:27 pm

Doitsujin wrote:@rdearman: This may be a stupid question: I also tried to connect via https://forum.language-learners.org/, but didn't get a connection.
Am I right in assuming that the forum software doesn't support TLS/SSL?

No, we do not (and never have, as far as I know). It's on the TODO list, but we have a lot of other stuff to tackle first, like the Super Challenge bot.
2 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:36 pm

Thanks a lot for bringing back the forum so fast!!! You're awesome!!! :o :D
1 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

Xelian
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying actively:
日本語 (B2)

Studying off and on:
한국어 (A2)
svenska (B1)
中文 (A1)
Tiếng Việt
Deutsch (beginner)

On the back burner:
Español (A2)
ASL (A1)
العَرَبِيَّة

Maybe some other time:
Български (A1)

Interested in:
Arabic (Egyptian, Yemeni), Hindi, Turkish, Thai, Tibetan, Nepali, Bengali, Urdu, Russian, Armenian, Greek, Kurdish, Farsi
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17163

Postby Xelian » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:26 pm

Hello, this might be a stupid question, but I don't believe my password was ever changed. I'm still logged in. If I log out, will my password be reset? I just want to be sure that my account is safe too. Thankfully, my password on this account is unique to all of my other passwords, but I still wonder why I am still logged in and able to use the forum, haha.
1 x
: 84 / 1000 Japanese Pages Read

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:37 pm

Yes, you guys did a great job of figuring out what happened, telling us what happened, and then bringing us all up on a new server.

You rule!
1 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”