THE FORUM HAS BEEN HACKED (AND FIXED, AND MOVED TO A NEW SERVER) - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

Discuss technical problems and features here
neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Re: THE FORUM HAS BEEN HACKED (AND FIXED, AND MOVED TO A NEW SERVER) - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

Postby neofight78 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:57 am

emk and rdearman are heros, thanks so much guys! Happy to chip in with server costs or any other way I can, just let me know how.
5 x

zenmonkeyII
Languages: a few

Re: THE FORUM HAS BEEN HACKED (AND FIXED, AND MOVED TO A NEW SERVER) - PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

Postby zenmonkeyII » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:08 am

Thanks again for this work and the overall effort to keep this place running. Not only did you guys fix the issues but did it very quickly! A beer for each!

As has been mentioned password recovery does not send out the email - it is likely a configuration option on the email function.

Also note that the logon is not secured - password and email seem to be sent over an unsecured regular http connection.
1 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:05 am

zenmonkeyII wrote:As has been mentioned password recovery does not send out the email - it is likely a configuration option on the email function.

Yeah, email from the forum appears to be broken still. We'll figure it out. I'm guessing that whatever SMTP server we used doesn't like the new setup.

Update: Our SMTP configuration hasn't changed. The forum is trying to send emails, but they're not making it through. To fix this, we'll probably have to pay somebody with an SMTP server to send them on our behalf. AWS SES can do this, I think.

zenmonkeyII wrote:Also note that the logon is not secured - password and email seem to be sent over an unsecured regular http connection.

Yes, we've never paid for or configured an HTTPS certificate for the site. I'd like to fix that, but actually getting it to work is going to require some more effort on the back end. Probably we'll go with LetsEncrypt and some kind of automatic renewal system, because that's free. Or maybe the new AWS cert system, if it's automatic enough.

Are you the same zenmonkey as usual? Did you have trouble recovering access to your old account for some reason? If so, I believe I have your email address somewhere and I'm happy to work with you to confirm your identity and fix this.
2 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:22 am

Others have said it already, so apologies for the repetition, but thank you very much indeed rdearman and emk, for your tireless work on our behalf in order to protect our information and keep our awesome community running... and even improving.
4 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:52 am

If we ever needed a reminder of why we left HTLAL, here it is. Nobody likes outages, but they happen from time to time. The difference here at LLORG is:

1) The administrators communicated with us
2) The administrators fixed the problem in a timely manner

This didn't happen at our former home in the same way as here... which is why we moved.

Obrigado, valeu, gracias, mèsi anpil, mersi muncho, thank you rdearman and emk!
12 x

zenmonkeyII

Postby zenmonkeyII » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:24 pm

emk wrote:Are you the same zenmonkey as usual? Did you have trouble recovering access to your old account for some reason? If so, I believe I have your email address somewhere and I'm happy to work with you to confirm your identity and fix this.

Yep, same person. Creates this account as I did a password change and the site isn't accepting my old or new one but I suspect a chair/desk interface issue. I'll wait until the mail recovery works and go from there. Don't worry about the time needed to get my ident and fix this - this is a sufficient workaround until the email server is up again.
1 x

zenmonkeyII

Postby zenmonkeyII » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:50 pm

emk wrote:Are you the same zenmonkey as usual? Did you have trouble recovering access to your old account for some reason? If so, I believe I have your email address somewhere and I'm happy to work with you to confirm your identity and fix this.

Yes it is me, but don't worry about it. I can work with this until the email server is up and running. Thanks.
1 x

Ingaræð
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (heritage)
Learning: Russian, French, German, Mandarin, Arabic, Spanish.
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Welsh.

Postby Ingaræð » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:37 pm

Fantastic job, guys! Thank you so much for putting in the time and effort, and getting things sorted so quickly. :)

EDIT: Oh, and thanks for the answer about the email addresses.
2 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:59 pm

iguanamon wrote:If we ever needed a reminder of why we left HTLAL, here it is. Nobody likes outages, but they happen from time to time. The difference here at LLORG is:

1) The administrators communicated with us
2) The administrators fixed the problem in a timely manner

This didn't happen at our former home in the same way as here... which is why we moved.

Obrigado, valeu, gracias, mèsi anpil, mersi muncho, thank you rdearman and emk!

And we are not left wandering blindly as we were at the old place. :lol:
3 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:02 pm

Yeah, great job, Rdearman and Emk! I hadn't noticed that the forum was down until I was going to show it to one of our patrons at the library:
-I'll forward your question to the experts on the #1 language forum... have a look here... oops it's been hacked. :?
7 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”