A language learners’ forum

Discuss technical problems and features here
User avatar
TrioLinguist
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:45 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada
Languages: English (N), German (B2-C1), French (A2)
x 9

A language learners’ forum

Postby TrioLinguist » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:52 pm

Currently displayed as the forum name at the top of every page is:

A language learners’ forum


Shouldn't the apostrophe come before the "-s" since "a language learner" is singular?
0 x
Read 1,000,000 words out of German fiction novels : 300000 / 1000000

User avatar
rdearman
Site Admin
Posts: 2137
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 4:18 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Languages: English (N)
French (studies), Italian (studies), Mandarin (studies),
Esperanto TAC (Only god knows why), Finnish (only in it for the cookies)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836
x 4133
Contact:

Re: A language learners’ forum

Postby rdearman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:23 pm

No, language learners' is plural, and in English for a plural which ends with an s you just use the apostrophe. :)
4 x

User avatar
TrioLinguist
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:45 pm
Location: Montreal, Canada
Languages: English (N), German (B2-C1), French (A2)
x 9

Re: A language learners’ forum

Postby TrioLinguist » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:47 pm

rdearman wrote:No, language learners' is plural, and in English for a plural which ends with an s you just use the apostrophe. :)


Oh, right, I see that language learners' is being used similarly to an adjective in relation to forum. I feel a little silly about having asked this now since English is my native language, but in my defence, both are possible, but with slightly different nuance. Preposing the "-s" with an apostrophe would be similar to, for example, "an American's guide to Canada". That's how I read it as, so the apostrophe placement struck me as odd at first.
1 x
Read 1,000,000 words out of German fiction novels : 300000 / 1000000

User avatar
rdearman
Site Admin
Posts: 2137
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 4:18 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Languages: English (N)
French (studies), Italian (studies), Mandarin (studies),
Esperanto TAC (Only god knows why), Finnish (only in it for the cookies)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836
x 4133
Contact:

Re: A language learners’ forum

Postby rdearman » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:21 pm

Ah. I didn't look at your language list when i posted.
:?
1 x

Tomás
Blue Belt
Posts: 525
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:48 pm
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).
x 572

Re: A language learners’ forum

Postby Tomás » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:39 pm

But the article "A" refers to the language learner, not the forum, indicating that language learner is singular. In this reading, the apostrophe should precede the s.

In the alternate reading, if "A" refers to the forum, then I don't see a need for the possessive apostrophe at all. In that case, "language learners" would be an adjective.
0 x

galaxyrocker
Blue Belt
Posts: 510
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:44 am
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757
x 875

Re: A language learners’ forum

Postby galaxyrocker » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:42 pm

Tomás wrote:But the article "A" refers to the language learner, not the forum, indicating that language learner is singular. In this reading, the apostrophe should precede the s.

In the alternate reading, if "A" refers to the forum, then I don't see a need for the possessive apostrophe at all. In that case, "language learners" would be an adjective.



That's not the way I parsed it. I parsed it as [A [language learner's [forum]]].
0 x

Tomás
Blue Belt
Posts: 525
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:48 pm
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).
x 572

Re: A language learners’ forum

Postby Tomás » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:47 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:
Tomás wrote:But the article "A" refers to the language learner, not the forum, indicating that language learner is singular. In this reading, the apostrophe should precede the s.

In the alternate reading, if "A" refers to the forum, then I don't see a need for the possessive apostrophe at all. In that case, "language learners" would be an adjective.



That's not the way I parsed it. I parsed it as [A [language learner's [forum]]].


I think we agree. I would put the apostrophe either in front of the s, or eliminate it altogether.
0 x

User avatar
Xmmm
Orange Belt
Posts: 235
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:19 am
Location: США
Languages: English (N), Russian (intermediate), Italian (beginner)
x 365

Re: A language learners’ forum

Postby Xmmm » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:55 pm

Tomás wrote:
galaxyrocker wrote:
Tomás wrote:But the article "A" refers to the language learner, not the forum, indicating that language learner is singular. In this reading, the apostrophe should precede the s.

In the alternate reading, if "A" refers to the forum, then I don't see a need for the possessive apostrophe at all. In that case, "language learners" would be an adjective.



That's not the way I parsed it. I parsed it as [A [language learner's [forum]]].


I think we agree. I would put the apostrophe either in front of the s, or eliminate it altogether.


It's absolutely correct the way it is, unless one takes the position that "so many people are confused about the rule, and it's been used incorrectly so many times, that wrong is now an alternate form of right."

"A forum for language learners" would eliminate the argument, which might be a good thing since I'm sure it will come up again at some point.
2 x

Tomás
Blue Belt
Posts: 525
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:48 pm
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).
x 572

Re: A language learners’ forum

Postby Tomás » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:13 am

Why not just eliminate the "A"? It's doing no work there.
0 x

User avatar
neofight78
Green Belt
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:02 pm
Location: Novosibirsk, Russia
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833
x 433

Re: A language learners’ forum

Postby neofight78 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:18 am

Xmmm wrote:A forum for language learners" would eliminate the argument, which might be a good thing since I'm sure it will come up again at some point.


I think keeping it is a good thing, in order to stimulate more debate about English grammar :P :lol:
3 x


Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest