Outage on Site 06/07 December

Discuss technical problems and features here
Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Re: Outage on Site 06/07 December

Postby Spoonary » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:00 pm

Ogrim wrote:The fact that I did not even think of going to HTLAL to see if this outage was mentioned there, but posted in the Facebook group instead, just shows how this forum has totally replaced HTLAL, at least for me.

The facebook group? Which Facebook group? :?
2 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:12 pm

Of course many thanks to Rdearman et. al for the great work to bring us back up.

It just taught me all over again how very much I value this truly unique and precious forum and how very important it is to me in my daily life.

Gratefully.

Carmody
4 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:04 pm

Spoonary wrote:
Ogrim wrote:The fact that I did not even think of going to HTLAL to see if this outage was mentioned there, but posted in the Facebook group instead, just shows how this forum has totally replaced HTLAL, at least for me.

The facebook group? Which Facebook group? :?

This Facebook group :D
4 x

hhiusa
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (5yrs) [Québécoise, Français, Suisse], Swedish (decent), Japanese (moderate), German (moderate), Norwegian (learning), Danish (beginner), Farsi (2 years)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5027

Postby hhiusa » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:26 pm

I do not want to be disrespectful, but why is this website being so buggy currently? Every couple of minutes, I get "too many visitors".
The website has made me feel like I have a dial-up connection, but lately it has gotten worse.
0 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:56 am

May I make a suggestion for the future ?

Since in the past we have had “a major outage for an extended period of time,” would it be possible to have another site we could go to in order to find out when this site might return on-line? I am not a member of Facebook so that is not good for me, but maybe someone might be able to start an LLF Interruption of Service thread over at HTLAL and keep us advised in that way. HTLAL is where I went looking this time, but I didn’t know where to look for a message.
Point being that if we are off line for 3-4 days or more we may start losing both hope and membership, etc.

Whatever......
1 x

hhiusa
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French (5yrs) [Québécoise, Français, Suisse], Swedish (decent), Japanese (moderate), German (moderate), Norwegian (learning), Danish (beginner), Farsi (2 years)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5027

Postby hhiusa » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:21 am

I get this message when I try to like somebody's post.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:05 am

I liked your posts without problems so it isn't a general problem - but nevertheless worrying because it seems to be a new error type.
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:44 am

I've seen that Ajax error for a long time (maybe even last year?), but I just try again, and then it works.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:30 am

Carmody wrote:May I make a suggestion for the future ?

Since in the past we have had “a major outage for an extended period of time,” would it be possible to have another site we could go to in order to find out when this site might return on-line? I am not a member of Facebook so that is not good for me, but maybe someone might be able to start an LLF Interruption of Service thread over at HTLAL and keep us advised in that way. HTLAL is where I went looking this time, but I didn’t know where to look for a message.
Point being that if we are off line for 3-4 days or more we may start losing both hope and membership, etc.

Whatever......

Actually I never use HTAL anymore and it never occurred to me to post anything there. However, one thing I'm trying to work on is part of your suggestion by perhaps not in the way you intended.
would it be possible to have another site we could go to

I'm looking into some kind of "Disaster Recovery" server built on the Amazon services. This would be a backup server identical to this one, which we could simply switch over to in the event of an emergency and there would only be a 15-20 minute disruption at most. This is probably the most cost effective way to keep the service going and wouldn't be affected by this hosting because it would be on a second platform.
7 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:11 am

We have a wikia too. I just assumed that people are more likely to check fb or get in touch with a mod.
And we started a mailing list last year :?

yeah i get the ajax error every now and then. it seems like a simple timeout actually. mostly happens when my internet connection is down.
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”