Best of the forum

Discuss technical problems and features here
Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Best of the forum

Postby Stefan » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Iversen raised the issue that amazing posts tend to be forgotten as soon as they fall past the first page. Here are tremendous knowledge spread over 43 159 posts so it would be a shame if we can't make more of it than a classic search function.

Some ideas:

- Generated page with the (20/40/50/100) most liked posts.
- Sticky threads where mods list high quality threads.

Unfortunately they both have flaws but I hope it will start a conversation.
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Best of the forum

Postby rdearman » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:38 pm

Stefan wrote:Iversen raised the issue that amazing posts tend to be forgotten as soon as they fall past the first page. Here are tremendous knowledge spread over 43 159 posts so it would be a shame if we can't make more of it than a classic search function.

Some ideas:

- Generated page with the (20/40/50/100) most liked posts.
- Sticky threads where mods list high quality threads.

Unfortunately they both have flaws but I hope it will start a conversation.

We've done something similar to the last suggestion in the resources room with "The Master List of Resources" by reineke. So it might be worth while if someone were to volunteer to maintain the "Best of Practical Questions" or something? But then you'd be roped into keeping it up to date forever.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:08 pm

Stefan wrote:Sticky threads where mods list high quality threads.

I really really don't like this idea. Unless it was one thread stickeyed with links it would just act to seriously clutter the list of threads and further push threads that haven't been commented on in 24-48 hours out of view. Your idea of a list of the most liked posts also, as you said, has it's flaws. It would require a lot of sifting through because there are plenty of posts that have a lot of hearts but that doesn't actually provide much if any information on language learning or linguistics. There's also the aforementioned issue of keeping it up to date.

My idea would be to see if the admins can enable some sort of favoriting system where users favorite posts and it shows up somewhere in the user's back end. If it would be possible it solves the issue of maintenance of one thread and also the issue of not everyone finding the same things even remotely useful. Of course one problem (that is a pro in your ideas) is that there will be people who, for whatever reasons, didn't catch what could have been a really helpful post and might otherwise have a hard time finding it.
5 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Vedun
Orange Belt
Languages: Bulgarian, English
German, Italian
Russian, Finnish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3009

Postby Vedun » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:25 am

What about one resourse thread for the entire forum where anybody can link to threads, posts and other websites they found useful?
1 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”