So many ideas, so little organisation

Discuss technical problems and features here
User avatar
Iversen
Brown Belt
Posts: 1207
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:36 pm
Location: Denmark
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian,
Ahem, not yet: Esperanto, Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Indonesian ...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027
x 2260

Re: So many ideas, so little organisation

Postby Iversen » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:00 pm

If you point to the title of a specific message, right-click and choose 'copy link-address' then you get an item in your clipboard which you can paste into an URL-tag in any other message.

I don't know anything about links to subscriptions.
0 x

User avatar
Stefan
Orange Belt
Posts: 145
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:59 pm
Location: Sweden
x 286
Contact:

Re: So many ideas, so little organisation

Postby Stefan » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:03 pm

rdearman wrote:I don't understand the question. You can put direct links into any post and you can subscribe to a thread.


Will they follow without problem if you merge two threads?
0 x
Log: An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory
: 17 / 59 : Tintenherz by Cornelia Funke (book club)
FiA Part 1 of 2: 1 / 26 (link)
Lingvist words: 205 / 4780 (link)

User avatar
rdearman
Site Admin
Posts: 2223
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 4:18 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Languages: English (N)
French (studies), Italian (studies), Mandarin (studies),
Esperanto TAC (Only god knows why), Finnish (only in it for the cookies)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836
x 4396
Contact:

Re: So many ideas, so little organisation

Postby rdearman » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:06 pm

Stefan wrote:
rdearman wrote:I don't understand the question. You can put direct links into any post and you can subscribe to a thread.


Will they follow without problem if you merge two threads?

Oh yes, sorry a "merge" is actually just tacking one thread on to the end of another. It doesn't merge in the sense of putting them together into the same post.
0 x

User avatar
arthaey
Blue Belt
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:11 pm
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Languages: EN (N); ES (adv receptive, int productive); FR (false beginner); DE (lapsed beg); ASL (lapsed beg); HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread
x 1338
Contact:

Re: So many ideas, so little organisation

Postby arthaey » Wed Aug 17, 2016 3:10 pm

If you have an old link to the original pre-merge thread, will it be a 404 broken link post-merge? Or will it automatically redirect to the new merged thread?
0 x
Log links: ASLFrenchHungarianSpanish
Anki catchup : 53 / 2204 April vocab challenge : 373 / 300

galaxyrocker
Blue Belt
Posts: 517
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:44 am
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757
x 881

Re: So many ideas, so little organisation

Postby galaxyrocker » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:15 pm

rdearman wrote:
Stefan wrote:
rdearman wrote:I don't understand the question. You can put direct links into any post and you can subscribe to a thread.


Will they follow without problem if you merge two threads?

Oh yes, sorry a "merge" is actually just tacking one thread on to the end of another. It doesn't merge in the sense of putting them together into the same post.


If people wanted to create a few blank posts, would it be possible to post them and then merge the old thread to the end of that? Or does it go by oldest first? Though I understand that might be a lot of work by the mods.
0 x

User avatar
rdearman
Site Admin
Posts: 2223
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 4:18 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Languages: English (N)
French (studies), Italian (studies), Mandarin (studies),
Esperanto TAC (Only god knows why), Finnish (only in it for the cookies)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836
x 4396
Contact:

Re: So many ideas, so little organisation

Postby rdearman » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:57 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:
rdearman wrote:
Stefan wrote:
rdearman wrote:I don't understand the question. You can put direct links into any post and you can subscribe to a thread.


Will they follow without problem if you merge two threads?

Oh yes, sorry a "merge" is actually just tacking one thread on to the end of another. It doesn't merge in the sense of putting them together into the same post.


If people wanted to create a few blank posts, would it be possible to post them and then merge the old thread to the end of that? Or does it go by oldest first? Though I understand that might be a lot of work by the mods.

Yes, that is how it works.
0 x

User avatar
arthaey
Blue Belt
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:11 pm
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Languages: EN (N); ES (adv receptive, int productive); FR (false beginner); DE (lapsed beg); ASL (lapsed beg); HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread
x 1338
Contact:

Re: So many ideas, so little organisation

Postby arthaey » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:54 pm

Is there a limit to how long a single post can be? That is, can I have just one "placeholder" post that becomes huge over time, or should I make a couple placeholders at the beginning of my new log thread?
0 x
Log links: ASLFrenchHungarianSpanish
Anki catchup : 53 / 2204 April vocab challenge : 373 / 300

User avatar
rdearman
Site Admin
Posts: 2223
Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 4:18 pm
Location: United Kingdom
Languages: English (N)
French (studies), Italian (studies), Mandarin (studies),
Esperanto TAC (Only god knows why), Finnish (only in it for the cookies)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836
x 4396
Contact:

Re: So many ideas, so little organisation

Postby rdearman » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:29 pm

arthaey wrote:Is there a limit to how long a single post can be? That is, can I have just one "placeholder" post that becomes huge over time, or should I make a couple placeholders at the beginning of my new log thread?

If one post can be inserted so can others, I wouldn't worry about that too much.
1 x

User avatar
arthaey
Blue Belt
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:11 pm
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Languages: EN (N); ES (adv receptive, int productive); FR (false beginner); DE (lapsed beg); ASL (lapsed beg); HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread
x 1338
Contact:

Re: So many ideas, so little organisation

Postby arthaey » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:54 am

rdearman wrote:
arthaey wrote:Is there a limit to how long a single post can be? That is, can I have just one "placeholder" post that becomes huge over time, or should I make a couple placeholders at the beginning of my new log thread?

If one post can be inserted so can others, I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Dear mods: can you please put my old log onto the end of this new log? Thanks!
0 x
Log links: ASLFrenchHungarianSpanish
Anki catchup : 53 / 2204 April vocab challenge : 373 / 300

User avatar
arthaey
Blue Belt
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:11 pm
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Languages: EN (N); ES (adv receptive, int productive); FR (false beginner); DE (lapsed beg); ASL (lapsed beg); HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread
x 1338
Contact:

Re: So many ideas, so little organisation

Postby arthaey » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:43 pm

arthaey wrote:
rdearman wrote:
arthaey wrote:Is there a limit to how long a single post can be? That is, can I have just one "placeholder" post that becomes huge over time, or should I make a couple placeholders at the beginning of my new log thread?

If one post can be inserted so can others, I wouldn't worry about that too much.

Dear mods: can you please put my old log onto the end of this new log? Thanks!

Ack! They got merged in the opposite order of what I was hoping for! The reason I wanted to merge them was because I wanted to insert new posts to the start. of my existing log. :(

Can it be undone and re-merged in the other direction?
0 x
Log links: ASLFrenchHungarianSpanish
Anki catchup : 53 / 2204 April vocab challenge : 373 / 300


Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest