Russian spam

Discuss technical problems and features here
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Russian spam

Postby rdearman » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:15 pm

I'm normally on about that time, and I did actually clear a lot, but sadly these people were posting quickly. I've redone all the questions for new user creation, and we are considering more strict rules on new user posting. Sadly this will annoy legitimate new people. :(

But if you guys keep reporting them, we'll keep removing them. But don't click on the links please, you don't know where they will take you.
9 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:32 am

Arnaud wrote:That forum needs more moderators: between 7 and 10 pm, the most active moment in europe, there is 0 moderator online to fight that attack...

Agreed. I've also noticed lately that there are seldom any moderators online when it is morning in Europe (7 to 10 am).
1 x
Ich grolle nicht

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:28 am

jennybenny25 wrote:I have this on my log- if report will all my log be removed or just the selected posts?

We only remove the spam posts. Please don't "quote" the spammer, because normally we'd remove that post as well. So just report it, and we'll remove it.
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:46 pm

rdearman wrote:
jennybenny25 wrote:I have this on my log- if report will all my log be removed or just the selected posts?

We only remove the spam posts. Please don't "quote" the spammer, because normally we'd remove that post as well. So just report it, and we'll remove it.

If a spam post is followed by other posts to the same thread, will those subsequent posts disappear when you remove the spam post? I mean, should people wait until the spam has been removed before posting to a thread that has been spammed?
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:44 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
rdearman wrote:

If a spam post is followed by other posts to the same thread, will those subsequent posts disappear when you remove the spam post? I mean, should people wait until the spam has been removed before posting to a thread that has been spammed?

NO, it is just that the moderators remove the links and other stuff in the quoted text, so it might look confusing afterwards because the thread isn't continous. Best to just ignore the spammers and report them. :)
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:05 pm

Yep, only spammers' posts are removed automatically (and only when we use the ban hammer on them). Feel free to continue any ongoing conversations and ignore the elephant in the room :mrgreen:
4 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”