virtual keyboard

Discuss technical problems and features here
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

virtual keyboard

Postby rdearman » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:45 pm

Anyone know if there is a Simplified Chinese version of the virtual keyboard on phpBB?
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Re: virtual keyboard

Postby emk » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:15 pm

rdearman wrote:Anyone know if there is a Simplified Chinese version of the virtual keyboard on phpBB?

Not as far as I know. What you see is what you get, pretty much: IPA, Latin, Cyrillic and Greek alphabets. The plugin was written by people at the Unilang forum. It's mostly useful for filling in the occasional accented letter, typing IPA, or transcribing a short Greek word.

In general, Simplified Chinese needs more than just a keyboard—it needs something that's usually called an "input method", which translates combinations of individual keystrokes into appropriate Chinese characters. If you haven't set up Chinese input methods for all your electronic devices, it's a really good idea.

Even for more exotic languages, like Egyptian hieroglyphics, life gets much easier once you learn how to type them on as many of your devices as possible.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:19 pm

emk wrote:
rdearman wrote:Anyone know if there is a Simplified Chinese version of the virtual keyboard on phpBB?

Not as far as I know. What you see is what you get, pretty much: IPA, Latin, Cyrillic and Greek alphabets. The plugin was written by people at the Unilang forum. It's mostly useful for filling in the occasional accented letter, typing IPA, or transcribing a short Greek word.

In general, Simplified Chinese needs more than just a keyboard—it needs something that's usually called an "input method", which translates combinations of individual keystrokes into appropriate Chinese characters. If you haven't set up Chinese input methods for all your electronic devices, it's a really good idea.

Even for more exotic languages, like Egyptian hieroglyphics, life gets much easier once you learn how to type them on as many of your devices as possible.

Yeah, I've set them up on everything but my work computer... they don't allow that sort of thing. (And I run the bloody show!)
4 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:20 pm

rdearman wrote:Yeah, I've set them up on everything but my work computer... they don't allow that sort of thing. (And I run the bloody show!)

That's weird, actually. I'm not familiar with how Windows handles it, but on most modern systems, the input methods are normally either built-in, or—at worst—a downloadable part of the operating system. Not allowing users to type in other languages without full administrative privileges seems like a pretty anti-social design decision.

Can you at least install a browser extension? I know that Chrome has a browser extension which can add Chinese support even if your OS doesn't support it. This even has a mode where you can draw characters manually (such as emoji) and it will find all the similar looking characters available. Depending on what browser you use, and how locked down your systems are, there may be something which works for you.
2 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”