Open Links in New Window/Tab by default?

Discuss technical problems and features here
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Open Links in New Window/Tab by default?

Postby rdearman » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:18 am

I couldn't find anything in the administration or profile settings which would allow links to automatically open up in a new tab or window. Anyone know if this is possbile in phpBB or does it need a change to the code?
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Re: Open Links in New Window/Tab by default?

Postby garyb » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:35 am

Opening links in a new window/tab by default is considered awful for usability - it should be up to the user whether to open in a new window, not up to the page. However, maybe that advice is out of date in the age of mobile devices since it's harder on a touchscreen than doing a middle click or ctrl-click with a mouse and keyboard. In any case, it should be an option rather than a default, or it should only apply to external links and they should be marked (a lot of sites use a little box with an arrow next to the link to indicate "opens in new window/tab") so it doesn't surprise the user too much.
6 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:16 pm

Actually, it's not hard at all on a touch screen. I just touch the link and hold it. After a second or two, a box pops up with various possibilities, including the option to open in a new tab.

I don't think it's necessary to make it an automatic feature, but I don't really have a very strong opinion either way.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:37 pm

garyb wrote:Opening links in a new window/tab by default is considered awful for usability - it should be up to the user whether to open in a new window, not up to the page. However, maybe that advice is out of date in the age of mobile devices since it's harder on a touchscreen than doing a middle click or ctrl-click with a mouse and keyboard. In any case, it should be an option rather than a default, or it should only apply to external links and they should be marked (a lot of sites use a little box with an arrow next to the link to indicate "opens in new window/tab") so it doesn't surprise the user too much.

The way I use this site for example, is I'm reading through a post and people list a couple of links as I'm reading. I'd click the link, which is busy opening in another tab while I continue reading and click the next link, etc. This is obviously a personal preference. So I have no objection to setting this in my profile, but that option doesn't appear. I think it should be an option in the profile, but it isn't there currently and I didn't find it in the extensions.
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:15 pm

rdearman wrote:The way I use this site for example, is I'm reading through a post and people list a couple of links as I'm reading. I'd click the link, which is busy opening in another tab while I continue reading and click the next link, etc. This is obviously a personal preference. So I have no objection to setting this in my profile, but that option doesn't appear. I think it should be an option in the profile, but it isn't there currently and I didn't find it in the extensions.

I use Windows 10. When I come upon a link, I will right-click on it and choose the option: Open in a new tab.
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:26 pm

tomgosse wrote:
rdearman wrote:The way I use this site for example, is I'm reading through a post and people list a couple of links as I'm reading. I'd click the link, which is busy opening in another tab while I continue reading and click the next link, etc. This is obviously a personal preference. So I have no objection to setting this in my profile, but that option doesn't appear. I think it should be an option in the profile, but it isn't there currently and I didn't find it in the extensions.

I use Windows 10. When I come upon a link, I will right-click on it and choose the option: Open in a new tab.

Yes that works in all versions of Windows & Linux too. But the problem for me is I am: A) Old B) Forgetful C) Lazy.

:)
2 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:16 pm

Please please don't make the default behavior to open links in new windows! Please leave that decision up to the user when they click each link.

Sometimes I want the link to load in my current window, so I click normally. Sometimes I want the link to load in a new tab, so I hold down Control while clicking. I hate when a website "knows better than me" what I want and forces the links to always open in a new tab.

There are browser settings & extensions if you want your own browser to always have a different behavior.
4 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”