New look and feel (and how to get the old blue and silver look back)

Discuss technical problems and features here
Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Re: New look and feel (and how to get the old blue and silver look back)

Postby Montmorency » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:30 pm

That's such a lovely blue colour. Well, I suppose it depends on one's screen, but it hits the spot for me (on my regular (desktop) screen).
0 x

Wanderer81

Postby Wanderer81 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:37 am

Iversen wrote:The colour of the "universal" theme is almost like the one of a Komodo Dragon - but not all reptiles look like that. Most other reptiles of the planet have lots of different colours. There is even one purely blue anole, but it only lives on a small island named Gorgona and is threatened with extinction - as if the sombre dark grey of the universal wasn't enough to make one depressed... When I see the forum now I logon as fast as possible to get back to the airy blue colour scheme which is my absolute favorite among the possibilities. I hope it won't go the same way as the Gorgona anole.

Interesting information. Thanks for sharing.

The picture is quite apropos.
0 x

Bakunin
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English, Thai, Swiss-German (adv.), Khmer, Isaan (studying); dormant: French, Polish

Postby Bakunin » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:36 am

I have to say that the new theme looks great on my phone, it seems to be a different, crisper font, and it generally has a fresh air to it. Having overcome my resistance to change :lol: I find myself now slowly migrating over to the other camp... Staying logged in is not an option as I access the forum from several computers and feel uneasy about having several sessions open.

Bakunin wrote:Are hieroglyphs really a good symbol for this language learning community?

I had another thought about this and I agree with the rest here that they can be a great symbol for this forum, in particular as so many members love book study and written representation of language. I still don't like the banner much, it's too dark, I can only see that this is a picture of hieroglyphs because I *know* it is etc. I would find a "flat" background like this (of course spanning the whole page) more appealing:

cone.png

And then there are of course many more beautiful scripts out there, here's an example for Burmese:

tumblr_lvpfsvOjgq1r0gmfq.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:13 pm

Bakunin wrote:
And then there are of course many more beautiful scripts out there, here's an example for Burmese:

tumblr_lvpfsvOjgq1r0gmfq.jpg

I could get behind Burmese! I think Georgian is also lovely (thanks, Expug, for exposing me to it!)

I like that the HTLAL banner focused on scripts rather than languages, which is a neat way to bypass the issue of 'leaving out' a language.
2 x

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:48 am

I could go either way on preferring this new theme to the old one... except for the notification background color.

I use the notifications as my primary means of checking in quickly on forum activity. With this new theme, the background color for an unread notification way too similar to the normal background color of read notifications.

So I'll be reverting to the old theme. Do post here if the background color for unread notifications gets tweaked, though! :)
1 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:00 am

arthaey wrote:I could go either way on preferring this new theme to the old one... except for the notification background color.

I use the notifications as my primary means of checking in quickly on forum activity. With this new theme, the background color for an unread notification way too similar to the normal background color of read notifications.

So I'll be reverting to the old theme. Do post here if the background color for unread notifications gets tweaked, though! :)

Seconded! Is there anything that can be done about this?
1 x

tricours
Yellow Belt
Languages: Swedish (N), Norwegian (bokmål), English, French (C1), Russian (OK), Ukrainian (meh), Polish (beginner)

Postby tricours » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:03 am

I get used to new things in like 5 seconds. I logged in, noticed the colors were new, and that's it. :D

I thought the previous theme looked extremely generic, like the default theme you see on every new forum. That's basically the only thing I had against it.

What about "A language learner's forum" in a bunch of different languages? (For the banner)
1 x
: 18 / 18 Colloquial Polish :
: 2105 / 3000 Anki Cards :
: 3 / 10 Polish Books :
: 1 / 28 Polish in 4 Weeks :

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:48 am

tricours wrote:
I thought the previous theme looked extremely generic, like the default theme you see on every new forum. That's basically the only thing I had against it.

I agree, it was the problem with the blue theme.

I like this new one, but the image at the top seems like tarmac and not pretty. It’s too dark and boring, and needs some colours, but I like the rest.
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”