Feature Request: Highlight text you want to reply to, then automatically go into "reply with quote".

Discuss technical problems and features here
Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Feature Request: Highlight text you want to reply to, then automatically go into "reply with quote".

Postby Montmorency » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:52 pm

Feature Request: I'm not sure of the technical way to describe this, but:

In some forums, one of which I can think of that seems to be using the same or similar software to this one, when you are looking at someone else's posting, and you decide you want to reply to just one part of it, you can simply highlight that part of it, and this automatically brings up an option to reply, and if you click it, you are taken to the reply box with the text you highlighted, and no more apart from the original poster's name, already there.

This saves a lot of potentially messy editing if you use the normal "reply with quote" option.
3 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: Feature Request: Highlight text you want to reply to, then automatically go into "reply with quote".

Postby smallwhite » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:55 am

Sounds good to be able to quote more easily. Just please don't override normal browser behaviour, eg. having tool-tips or menus instantly pop up everytime we double-click or highlight anything. There are many reasons I double-click on text, and 99% of the time I'm not trying to reply to a post. Thanks.
3 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Feature Request: Highlight text you want to reply to, then automatically go into "reply with quote".

Postby Elenia » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:42 am

Maybe an option to be able to turn this on and off? Like smallwhite, I highlight text a lot - usually when reading as it somehow makes it a little easier for me. I wouldn't like to accidentally hit the 'reply with quote' button when just randomly highlight sections of text.
1 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”