Evita
Orange Belt
Languages: I speak: Latvian, English, Russian, German
I study: Korean
I'm slowly forgetting: Spanish, Finnish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1141

Re: Notifications about Likes

Postby Evita » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:50 pm

It's been a while so I wanted to bump this thread. Has the extension been fixed? If yes, is it going to be installed here? Or has it already been installed?

Another thing I wanted to report is that if I go to "Manage notifications", it says "Here you may view all past notifications.", but this is clearly not true since the old ones have been deleted. This text should be updated to reflect what is actually visible.
0 x
: 6480 / 8000 Korean Vocabulary

My Korean Anki decks: Grammar Sentences | General Korean Sentences | Vocabulary | Hanja

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:00 pm

Evita wrote:It's been a while so I wanted to bump this thread. Has the extension been fixed? If yes, is it going to be installed here? Or has it already been installed?

My humble apologies! I was overloaded with a lot of stuff this fall (including sometimes language learning!), and I've fallen inexcusably far behind on installing updates and fixes. I've just updated the "Like" feature to the Postlove 1.1.1 extension, which should allegedly be a bit more reliable. Please let me know how it works.

(I've also disabled the ability for people to "Like" their own posts, which mostly seemed to get used by mistake when people were fumbling with phone screens. This was always slightly embarassing...)

Evita wrote:Another thing I wanted to report is that if I go to "Manage notifications", it says "Here you may view all past notifications.", but this is clearly not true since the old ones have been deleted. This text should be updated to reflect what is actually visible.

With luck, you should now be able to see notifications (both sent and received) on your user profile screen.
4 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:47 am

Looks like the update fixed the main thing that bothered me about the add-on, namely that the heart image was set on repeat, meaning that with my settings I saw a heart and a half :lol:
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Evita
Orange Belt

Postby Evita » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:08 pm

emk wrote:With luck, you should now be able to see notifications (both sent and received) on your user profile screen.

Thanks for updating the extension! But my notifications are still getting deleted automatically. I had 8 yesterday, and today I have 7. Is that supposed to work that way?
0 x

My Korean Anki decks: Grammar Sentences | General Korean Sentences | Vocabulary | Hanja

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:26 pm

Evita wrote:
emk wrote:With luck, you should now be able to see notifications (both sent and received) on your user profile screen.

Thanks for updating the extension! But my notifications are still getting deleted automatically. I had 8 yesterday, and today I have 7. Is that supposed to work that way?

Did someone "unlike" a post?
0 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Evita
Orange Belt

Postby Evita » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:40 pm

rdearman wrote:
Evita wrote:

Did someone "unlike" a post?

I don't know. But I know I've received plenty of notifications about Likes since summer and they have all been deleted except the last 7 ones.
0 x

Allison
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native), Spanish (high intermediate-ish), American Sign Language (ASL) (I dabble occasionally)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5177

Postby Allison » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:51 pm

emk wrote:
Evita wrote:It's been a while so I wanted to bump this thread. Has the extension been fixed? If yes, is it going to be installed here? Or has it already been installed?

My humble apologies! I was overloaded with a lot of stuff this fall (including sometimes language learning!), and I've fallen inexcusably far behind on installing updates and fixes. I've just updated the "Like" feature to the Postlove 1.1.1 extension, which should allegedly be a bit more reliable. Please let me know how it works.

Hmmm. Someone has Liked a post of mine that I made today, which means the Like happened after your update, but I did not receive a notification about it, even though my Like notification setting is checked.

link to the post if that helps

Edit: Ironically, I did just get a notification about a Like on this post! And if we're supposed to be able to somehow see who liked a post by hovering over something, as tangleweeds says below, I either don't know how or am not able to.
Last edited by Allison on Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:13 pm

Even today, I'm still getting notifications on only half my liked posts, and I've always been unable to hover to see who liked my posts. It makes me sad, because showing appreciation is a nice way of finding simpicato members, finding new logs to read, etc.

I'm using the latest Chrome under Ubuntu 14.04.

I was wondering if choosing to be invisible in the forum could make that user's likes anonymous. When break time ends, I often leave a half-baked reply open in some back browser tab, so I choose not to be listed as online here 24/7.
0 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:35 pm

If you use a tablet, I don't think you can see you likes by hovering as you can't really hover on a tablet. If I use my computer (I use Firefox), I can hover the mouse cursor over the heart and see who liked the post, but I can't do that on my iPad. It's the same with progress bars. I can see the numbers if I hover over them using my computer, but I can't see that on the iPad.
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:04 pm

Generally the names are shown when you hover over the number, not the heart :)
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”