New features from zenmonkey: Italian, German and Hebrew language packs!

Discuss technical problems and features here
Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Re: New features from zenmonkey: Italian, German and Hebrew language packs!

Postby Spoonary » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:27 pm

I have used the Spanish and the Italian packs for a couple of days each and I have noticed one little thing. In the sidebar where posters' names, pictures and profile information are, the headings 'Languages' and 'Language Log' are both still in English. It is not a big problem. I just thought I'd point it out... :?
0 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:15 pm

Spoonary wrote:I have used the Spanish and the Italian packs for a couple of days each and I have noticed one little thing. In the sidebar where posters' names, pictures and profile information are, the headings 'Languages' and 'Language Log' are both still in English. It is not a big problem. I just thought I'd point it out... :?

Yes! If we have a native speaker (or confident C-level-ish student) who wishes to translate the information about custom profile fields into a particular language, please let us know. We could also accept translations from beginning students, Google Translate, etc., but as a courtesy to other beginning students, we'd probably prefer not to display any actual errors on the site for fear of giving people bad input. :-)
0 x

getreallanguage
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (n), English (nn), Italian (int.), Dutch (beg.), Catalan, Swedish, Paraguayan Guarani
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=760

Postby getreallanguage » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:19 pm

emk wrote:
Spoonary wrote:I have used the Spanish and the Italian packs for a couple of days each and I have noticed one little thing. In the sidebar where posters' names, pictures and profile information are, the headings 'Languages' and 'Language Log' are both still in English. It is not a big problem. I just thought I'd point it out... :?

Yes! If we have a native speaker (or confident C-level-ish student) who wishes to translate the information about custom profile fields into a particular language, please let us know. We could also accept translations from beginning students, Google Translate, etc., but as a courtesy to other beginning students, we'd probably prefer not to display any actual errors on the site for fear of giving people bad input. :-)

I'd be willing to do that for Spanish.
0 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:47 pm

getreallanguage wrote:I'd be willing to do that for Spanish.

Thank you very much for the offer! The steps are easy:

1. Set the site interface to Spanish.
  2. Go to the "edit your profile" page.
  3. Translate any English text you see there and post it. It's OK to use looser, more natural translations.
Note that this will work for any language pack that we support, so the more high-quality translations, the merrier. :-)
0 x

getreallanguage
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (n), English (nn), Italian (int.), Dutch (beg.), Catalan, Swedish, Paraguayan Guarani

Postby getreallanguage » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:14 am

I'm working on it right now and I'm noticing that the Spanish on that page is inconsistent too, specifically, it goes back and forth regarding the use of tú or usted. Should I also work on that?
0 x

getreallanguage
Yellow Belt

Postby getreallanguage » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:45 am

Too late, I already did. Here are my revisions/translations:

Editar perfil

Original: Por favor ten en cuenta que esta información será vista por otros usuarios. Debes ser cuidadoso cuando incluyas detalles personales. Los campos marcados con * deben completarse obligatoriamente.

My version: Ten en cuenta que esta información va a ser visible para todos los demás usuarios. Se recomienda tener cuidado al incluir detalles personales. Los campos marcados con * son obligatorios.

Original: Cumpleaños: Introducir el año mostrará su edad cuando sea su cumpleaños.

My version: Cumpleaños: Introducir el año hace que el sitio muestre tu edad en el día de tu cumpleaños.

Original: Languages: Fill in this field with the languages you speak and the languages you study. For example, if your native language is English and you've passed a B2 exam in French, but you're just a beginner in Spanish, you could write: "English (N), French (B2), Spanish (beginner)".

My version: Idiomas: Llena este campo con los idiomas que hablas y los que estudias. Por ejemplo, si tu idioma nativo es el inglés, tienes un diploma de nivel B2 en francés, y tu nivel de español es de principiante, puedes poner "Inglés (N), francés (B2), español (principiante)".

Original: Language Log: An optional URL linking to your main language log. If you have more than one log, that's OK! Just link to one of them, and then add links at the top of the first message pointing to your other logs. This link will normally look something like "http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=123".

My version: Log de idiomas: Una dirección web que dirija a la gente a tu bitácora/diario/log. Si tienes más de un log, no hay problema; te recomendamos que pongas un link a uno solo, y que pongas links a los demás al principio del primer post en ese log. Este link se va a ver más o menos así: "viewtopic.php?f=15&t=123".

Original: About Me: You may include a some more information about yourself and your language-learning history here if you wish.

My version: Acerca de mí: Si quieres, puedes incluir algo más de información personal, y sobre cómo aprendiste tus idiomas.

Editar firma

Original: Show virtual keyboard

My version: Mostrar teclado virtual
3 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”