Vote on what we should fix next

Discuss technical problems and features here

What should our highest priorities be for improving the forum software?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:46 am

A new look and feel, including better typography and possibly per-user overrides
18%
More language packs!
9%
Resizing images
8%
Active topics grouped by forum
20%
Links and/or user-chosen flag emoticons in language profiles
6%
More media embedding choices
6%
A longer "About me" section on user profiles
6%
A rich text editor so people don't have to type BBCode
17%
Support for entering hieroglyphics using Manuel de Codage conventions (Just kidding! Well, mostly.)
4%
Something else (Please describe below.)
6%

Total votes: 173

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: Vote on what we should fix next

Postby Serpent » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:06 pm

Thanks for bringing it up!
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

AlexTG
Green Belt
Languages: Easy to Read: English(N), French, Spanish
Able to Read: German, Latin
Learning to Read: Japanese, Hindi/Urdu

Postby AlexTG » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:27 pm

I think the 3 post threshold for adding languages to the side bar should be changed. First time posters have a tendency to ask for advice and that's when we most need to know what languages they speak.

As I understand it the threshold is there to stop spammers adding urls to the language bar. But wouldn't that just be a nice way of alerting the mods that they need to be banned?
2 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:40 pm

Personally, I wish we could switch to more of a markup style of formatting. It might be I've just gotten so used to it from using Reddit and Duolingo, but I find it much easier to work with while typing that BBCode. But, I'm honestly not sure how possible that would be. Perhaps just adding something so that hitting CTRL-i makes the opening and closing blocks of BBCode?
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:55 pm

Bjorn wrote:I voted something else: Mark all forums as read

You can already do that. Go to the home or index page and there should be a "Mark all forums read" in the top left.
1 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:32 pm

PsittacusMagnus wrote:In case it hasn't been mentioned:

https

What specifically?
0 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:40 pm

rdearman wrote:What specifically?

At some point in the future, we might want to support encrypted access to the server. Advantages: People in coffee shops won't be able steal your passwords, government agencies won't be able to (quite so easily) keep a permanent record of your web activity, and it will be easier to update to HTTP 2.0 for improved performance later on. Disadvantages: If we use HTTPS, then nobody can embed non-HTTPS images or video using media tags. YouTube is fine, but some image sites won't be.

I'm willing to look into making this happen later on if people are willing to live with the tradeoffs.
4 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:10 am

I would like to be able to select threads within a forum and mark them as read/unread the way we do within an email inbox. That way I wouldn't have to wait till I read al the threads I want to before marking the remaining ones as read .
1 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:02 pm

Expugnator wrote:I would like to be able to select threads within a forum and mark them as read/unread the way we do within an email inbox. That way I wouldn't have to wait till I read al the threads I want to before marking the remaining ones as read .

You mean you want to mark "Uninteresting Threads That You Don't Intend to Read" as "Read", is that right?

If you use the "Unread posts" view instead of the "Active Topics" or the default view, you will get something similar to what you want. Unappealing threads don't really getmarked as "read", but they get pushed to the back so you can just ignore them. Right now I have 2 pages of threads with new posts that I may or may not want to read (pages 1 & 2 of the "Unread Posts" view), and 13 pages of older threads that I have not read and will not read (pages 3 to 15).
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:51 pm

You can also click "mark all forums as read" after you've caught up :) You'll still get the latest posts from active topics.
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

WalkingAlone13
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) German (B2) Finnish (beginner) Swedish (beginner) Polish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... f=15&t=742

Postby WalkingAlone13 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:39 pm

Not exactly a feature request, but would it possible to have a board purely for reviews? So, for example, most of us would have heard of Assimil, so then a topic example of Assimil could be made in such thread (I remember Astromule creating a list, so it could also be a great place for his findings). Once you click on the topic the first page could list all courses available for Assimil, and then anyone that has used one of them could write about it and it could then be edited in on the first page under the course name. Assimil was just an example, ideally it could have individual threads for Assimil, Pimsleur, FSI, RS, etc. Possibly a sub board for textbooks and another for music and DVD/music.

Sometimes I see a random resource and have no means of checking it out, so instead of having to post a question that would then get lost, or not have any replies, one could simply go to the reviews board and search for it. I was just about to look for resources for Spanish, and I really had no idea which thread I'd be most likely to find the information I would have wanted.

*Edit just in case I didn't explain well enough. I realise we have the resources page already, but I feel this is used mostly for discussion which is different to what I was suggesting. The point of the reviews board would be purely for reviews. One could just browse for the resource they are interested in and then read the following reviews within, provided some had been written. This is why I feel an individual board purely for reviews would be better than just creating a topic inside the resources thread for reviews.
1 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”